• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 10:22 PM

i was playing with my router and came across and option for a DMZ host. it didn't give to much of a discription of what it was except that you can set an ip address for it... now if i set an ip for this would that open up my network?

#2 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 11:11 PM

DMZ = Demilitarized Zone. i had a router that had the same thing, and i THINK, not totally sure, but i think whatever ip goes in there gets all the requests from incoming connections. that makes that one computer wide open. someone correct me if im wrong, b/c i think i am.

#3 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 11:35 PM

that makes that one computer wide open.

so would i make the ip address 192.168.1.0 to make it null so i wouldn't have a hole in my network?

#4 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 11:51 PM

DMZ = Demilitarized Zone. i had a router that had the same thing, and i THINK, not totally sure, but i think whatever ip goes in there gets all the requests from incoming connections. that makes that one computer wide open. someone correct me if im wrong, b/c i think i am.

You sir, are correct! (Bad Ed McMahan impression optional)

The DMZ is for some online games or media streaming that doesn't work to well behind a firewall. I know that some live QuickTime Server streams don't like firewalls too well, so you'd have to place your machine in the DMZ to get the stream properly.

Quoteth I from my Belkin router manual:
*ahem*
"Please note that when a computer is placed in the DMZ it is not protected by the firewall and is open to hacker attacks. Use this feature only when needed."

Huh. There's that "H" word again...... :ATTN:

All the machines on my network (except my server) get a dynamic IP address from the virtual DHCP server in the router. On my router, you assign the internal IP address of the machine you want in the DMZ and then activiate the DMZ feature. It still uses the IP address that is issued by the router but turns off all the protection features of the firewall.

#5 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 01:16 AM

u can also "poke a hole" through the router, which is the consumer way of saying port forwarding. DMZing basically port forwards everything to one box.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!