• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 08:32 PM

Found this on a site for a Boston-based wi-fi company.
http://www.newburyop...technology.html
This page there is a link to a PDF that has some interesting info on setting up public wi-fi networks. It's sorta geared as a sales pitch but there's some interesting info anyway.

This page on the same site as a bunch of free access points in Boston.

If any one is familiar with Boston, you'll note all the points are all on Newbury Street. Lots of cool stores on Newbury street, and now free wi-fi. Woo-hoo!

#2 M_from_S

M_from_S

elite

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 08:05 PM

I'm very familiar with Boston but left there before wi-fi became all the rage.
I would think another good place to check out networks would be in and around Harvard Square - all those students with laptops! I wouldn't be surprised if MIT has a campus wide network either.

Hey, i think it was you who said you recently went out wardriving and the most exposed network was 1891 9th Ave - i don't recall any numbered streets in Boston - where were you?

#3 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 11:00 PM

No wardriving in Boston for me :(

I'm about 3 hours away (less if I drive fast). I used to get there at least 3 or 4 times a year, but haven't had the time in a while. Copely Square, Quincy Market and anywhere in Cambridge would be my other picks for finding access points. But I love hanging out on Newbury Street , so next time I do go, I'm bringin' the lappy.

1881 9th Ave. Yeah, they put their street address as their SSID. √úbersmart. It's only a few blocks from where I live. I paid them a visit over the weekend. Maybe I should send them the public wi-fi PDF. They've already got a good start.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!