- - - - -

A call for help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GUEST_jp_***

GUEST_jp_***
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2003 - 10:55 AM

I'm sure sure what the rule on this kind of thing is. I don't know if I'm breaking any rules or what by doing this, but, I've run out've ideas. This is a copy of a message I PMed dual on the rantradio.com message boards. After some looking around I found a post telling me the RFA crew was here. I decided to take a shot. Please be understanding, and know that I've been wanting and trying for this a very long time.

I've been interested in hacking since I was 9. I started with VB v3(I think) making AOL progs and trying to find someone who knew hacking me to take me under my wing. I talked to a few of them, same response from all of them: READ. Well, I couldn't understand what I was reading. Now I'm turning 17 and I get it a little more, however I'm still searching for that preverbial master to teach me to snap a fly out've his hand. I've been socially engeneering since I was in middle school. In 8th grade I was the first one to send messages over the network via DOS promt and make music. I did it all blind, not knowing what I was typing would do anything. Then with a new computer system in play, I was the first one to bypass security, warez games onto them, and at the end of the year, flood the system with a virus of my friends creation that fills the computer with random files of random suffix(.exe, .cfg, .wiz, .hlp, etc) so they couldn't find file and delete them at once. Eventually this filled every computer in the school with SHIT files and ate memory when the computer started. Then I fucked with the .bas files in the server and it went down. I don't know how long it took them to clean what I did, I never went back. This again, all without knowing what I was doing. I socially engenieer every chance I have. All over my highschool I watch security, bullshit teachers and administration. I really try without knowing what I'm doing. However, I still want to phreak and hack. I still havn't figured out *NIX systems, I don't even know where to begin or how to install the fucking thing. I think I've found some accurate redbox readme's from PISS. Maybe. I'm going to go to radio shack and look around at the shit there. I need though, source. It seems like it's a giant community of underground social engineers using the art of phreaking/hacking to make their lives easier. I want in, badly. However I can't sort the 1970's articles from what's new. I can't find anything that's up-to-date with HOW TO and INTRODUCTION stamped on them. I want to find a leg in the door or atleast some kind've newbie site. I very badly want to start phreaking since it seems the easiest to get into overall.

If you think you can help atall, please. I'm tired of this pretty school shit and engineering my way onto WalMart PA systems. I want to get serious, I want to have a redbox with me and be able to make a call when I want. I want to gator clip my way onto a phone line and make calls. Shit, I want to be able to get where I want. If you can help atall, thanks. And I'll register if I need to reply, which I hope I will.

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 01:29 PM

Well, we welcome anyone here who wants to learn. I hope you do register and visit frequently. what people told you is true. You have to read a LOT, but here you can read and interact and get responses to specific questions. There are already tons of threads that will teach you a lot.

There are a couple of things that you mention that I think I should address. If you want to learn and experience real hacking, you need to first define what hacking is to you. I seriously think you should read our FAQ and read the very top of the Main Page. These are the things that we emphasize here.

You will find very little help with creating and distributing viruses. If that is your interest, you can find that information elsewhere on the web. While I am not totally opposed to it, I prefer to focus on more productive and positive things than destruction.

Redboxing doesn't work anymore. People can debate that if they want, but I beleive it. "Gator-clipping" or beige boxing does.

As far as timeliness of information, listen to RFA (which you do), read the zines (many linked from here, just look for them), and visit the forums frequently. Our Articles page is up-to-date and I am in the process of putting dates on that page just for validity.

Most people work or go to school and hacking is a hobby. Unfortunately, you might not find a full-time "mentor" simply because of the time issues. Instead, you have found a whole forum full of mentors.

Welcome to the forums and I hope that after you read these comments, you will decide to stick around.

And I am sure that dual probably missed your PM on rantradio forums. I miss them sometimes here on my own forums.

#3 threehams

threehams

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 10:34 PM

Well, I registered. I hope I get some learning out've this. Thus far I read through the articles, and had a laugh at the FAQ. The articles seem helpful, alot of showing you security leaks and loopholes. I also like the part about email fraud, that's something I don't think I could get tired of. For the better part it seems you guys are into the truer hacking and not hotmail hacked website destruction. I love it. I just mentioned the virus thing becasuse I thought it was relevent. Me and my friend have tons of fun thinking of ways to make a virus work and make it for no reason. I can't think of just how many CD's with autorun on them we have laying around. You can't even drop them in to see what they might be because we don't have a test machine to drop a destructive virus on. It's just some harmless fun, all in good taste. However, I hope I can get some more information from you guys. I didn't even know redboxing was dead, kind've disapointing. I really want to get into phreaking first. There's so many phones everywhere I go and no one has ever touched them. Sarasota is a small place with alot of old people, it's easy to get away with things and I've been wanting to learn my entire life.

#4 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 11:58 PM

What's up, three. I just got your PM and you're definitely on the right track to learning about technology - registering here, reading the artys, and most importantly, the desire to learn. Just hang and do what you dig and you'll be surprised at what you'll learn.

#5 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 12:56 AM

What is it exactly that you want to do JP? It sounds like you are mainly interested in the phone system which I know jack shit about. I listened to Dual at one of the AZ2600 meetings talk about all kinds of phone stuff and I was thoroughly lost.

Hackings an odd word like electricity. If you just stop and ask random people what electricity is then you'll get many different responses. Hacking is another word that's frequently used even though nobody can settle on a definition.

Without knowing exactly what YOUR definition is (since every person has their own) I'm going to assume you mean testing system security. There isn't a set of steps one should follow to penetrate into any system. That's what makes hacking so great. Your options are almost without end. The only limit is your imagination.

Although the methods of hacking constantly change a few things remain the same which is what you should be interested in now. One of these is TCP/IP. If you don't know already this is the most popular suite of protocols that allow computers to communicate with each other. You also want to learn how to program since a computer is useless without software and the software is what you'll be manipulating.

I don't want to put up a farce I'm still learning all this myself. In fact I hope I never stop learning it, and this is a great place to do exactly that. Stankdawg has established a board here where people are cool to each other and share knowledge. Just have fun :).

#6 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 12:59 PM

Just all I got to say is: Knowledge is truely freedom.

#7 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 03:26 AM

I have to echo what others have been saying about reading (articles, these forums, etc), and listening to shows like RFA. I would add that you learn alot by doing. You may not have a clue (Gawd knows I don't) what you're doing at first, but push some buttons, type some commands, dial some numbers....see what happens and take notes. I am about as noob as you get, and by reading, listening and observing I am constantly learning and picking up new bits of info and ideas...not only for my extra-curricular activities, but for living in the wicked world too. That's what I love about this whole community.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!