• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 metadox

metadox

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:08 PM

Hi I've been reading a forum recently explaining where warez come from. I found the article very interesting because the understanding you get in what happens on the back end of the warez or the scene better said. I wanted to know if anyone knows any good sites on this or has anything to say about it. I have foot printed a very well step by step of who and what they are. I rather not say and let people find the info them selves. But I did want to talk about TopLevel FTP's or 0-Day Warez. I think everyone should contribute somehow. Even if it's only from BitTorrent or having it on a shared drive for emule. Let me know what you think so I can see where to go with this topic.

#2 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:54 PM

i think this might answer your question for this forum
http://www.binrev.co...?showtopic=7035

however... there is a DC Hub that i run and you can share whatever you want on it.

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:12 PM

yeah, you can talk abotu warez, and discuss the origin and history, even the methods and logistics within reason. This is technology and hacking related, and dully open for discussion. We just have to draw the line.at posting WAREZ or links to WAREZ or WAREZ SITES. That is all. So yes, discuss away! :)

#4 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:08 PM

what do you mean when you say "TopLevel FTPs" ?

#5 metadox

metadox

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:57 PM

Stank in no way I'm I asking for links to Warez or Warez sites. But instead groups with forums and news bulletins. There is a scene I have never know about until the other day. Don't know why I never really gave any thought until now. As to top level sites here is some info I found that made me want to try to be a part.

lexa Posted: Apr 4 2004, 11:36 PM 

Hi. This post has been written for you (by me and LocK) to read in the hope that you will learn a little something about where those games, movies, albums, etc. you download come from. In doing this we hope that you will be a little more appreciative of the time and effort that goes into bringing a release to you.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

RELEASE GROUPS

These are the people who are out there risking their necks to bring you the latest
films, games, music, etc. They are the ones who go into cinemas with cameras,
the ones who pose as reviewers in order to obtain pre-release copies of games,
they crack software, rips games, etc.
Release groups are people such as DEViANCE, Fairlight, TCF, ESOTERiC,
RNS. There are lots more but these are enough to illustrate the point.

HOW DO I GET THESE RELEASES?

There are many ways to obtain these releases. Obviously, as you are reading this
post, you have chosen to use BitTorrent to download them. We will go on to explain
how these releases come to BitTorrent but for now we will explain the many other ways
to obtain releases.

Right let's start at the top:

TOPSITES/FTP

Topsites are private FTP sites

In order to get access to named, ranked topsites that are truly part of the 'scene'
then you need to be bringing something special with you. There are plenty of sites which fit 'topsite' criteria but they are not official topsites.
There are bodies which determine which sites are official ranked topsites.

Anyway, unless you have something to offer then you might as well keep scrolling down. If you want access to named and ranked topsites then you need to be able to contribute something more than seeding to a 1:1 ratio. I assume most of you have read NFOs which request hardware, 100Mbit connections, etc. These are the sort of things you need to contribute.

This is the only place considered the real ‘scene’.

FXP GROUPS

FXP is a method of transferring files from one FTP site to another. This differs from FTP alone in that the user doesn't necessarily have to be on of the sites doing the transfer, but rather can just act as a facilitator.

FXP groups, who come together on private forums (FXP Boards), hack into public ftps and then use them as dumps for the other members of their groups to access.

IRC http://www.slyck.com/irc.php

IRC works in a similar way to P2P apps. However, IRC uses several different networks and each network is again subdivided into smaller channels. if you don’t know where to look for something it could be an eternal search. On the plus side, you are much safer using IRC to get files than using P2P.

Like the newsgroups, IRC is more complicated than the spoon-fed resources of modern P2P networks. Although learning how to navigate is a challenge, you'll quickly find IRC to be an invaluable resource for the files you need. For example, many individuals rely on P2P networks for large files such as ISOs or movies. However, it is only after these files appear on IRC or the newsgroups do they filter down to P2P networks.

The most popular IRC client is mIRC. You can download it from: mirc.com
Once you get used to how it works, IRC is a great place to become part of a community.

If you need some help on the workings of IRC or you just want an easy place to start out then come join us in #suprnova.hugs.

NEWSGROUPS http://www.slyck.com/ng.php
The Newsgroups are a special part of the internet that pre-dates the World Wide Web. Once upon a time when the internet was still young there were special interest groups that shared information and kept in touch by using a bulletin board type system. This system was designed to take advantage of the internet in a way an old BBS couldn't : each location had a machine (news server) that would store all the messages of the newsgroups that were desired by it's users. Periodically these servers connect to each other and exchange all messages that are missing on either server. In this manner, a message sent by any user would eventually get distributed to every server that carried that newsgroup.

A short time passed and the users of certain newsgroups thought that this system would be ideal to share files with each other. However, the newsgroups were not designed to transfer binary files - they can only transfer text files. Stuck!! NO. How about this: Take a binary file and convert it (encode it) so that it is now a text message. Distribute that text message through the newsgroup and then whoever wants the file can download that message and convert it back (decode it) into the original binary file. Note that most binaries are 0-day. (see bottom of post)

Newsgroups are organized in a hierarchical structure where there are general categories containing sub-categories containing sub-categories etc. The majority of newsgroups that contain binary-encoded messages begin with alt.binaries. From there you have an enormous selection of newsgroups packed with some very interesting things.

These websites post releases of the more popular binaries:

http://www.newzbin.com/
http://www.binnewz.dk/
http://www.nfonews.com/

BITTORRENT http://www.slyck.com/bt.php
(I know it's technically P2P but I felt it deserved its own section)

BitTorrent is a P2P system that makes transferring large files amongst a large group of people ease and fast. This network is set up in a way that is a little different than a normal P2P network. With this network, you really don't do any searching of files that other users have. Rather you go to websites that have lists of recently released files. These files all come as a package, and to receive them you must first get a .torrent file. Once you have downloaded the .torrent file, your BitTorrent client will kick in and connect to a managing computer that then connects you to others who have the files.

This network is impressive mostly for the speed and reliability with which you get files that have been recently released. As long as a .torrent file has enough people sharing then you can be assured that it will start quickly and maintain a good download speed. This is what makes browsing through recently released .torrents so much fun. Whatever catches your eye can be yours in no time.

PEER-TO-PEER

This includes Kazaa, Overnet, eDonkey, eMule, WinMX, DC, DC++, Gnutella, Morpeus, BearShare, LimeWare, ********, Blubster, RockitNet, Piolet, iMesh, Grokster, Kazaa Lite, SoulSeek, Filetopia, and Waste.

As you can see, there is a wealth of P2P networks out there for everyone to use, some more complicated than others.

P2P is the most popular method of downloading warez on the internet, but it is by no means the best. Many P2P applications are stuffed with spyware. Programs like Kazaa, Grokster, and Morpheus have extra programs bundled in that can be used to trace what websites you are visiting. A program like AdAware or Spybot Search and Destroy will get rid of this spyware.

HOW DO THE FILES GET TO BITTORRENT?

This question is more complicated than it sounds. First you must understand where the files come from in the first place.

The chain of releases starts at a Topsite. A group will upload their release to an extremely private, incredibly fast FTP server. People called couriers, or racers, then download the software. Since the Topsite has a VERY fast connect, the racers are able to get the file in a matter of minutes after the release.

These racers will then go on to post the program onto a dump site. A dump site is much like a topsite, with a very fast connection. From these dumps, more racers come to download the file, and transfer it out to distros.

These distros are basically large storage points for release groups. They upload their files there, and can download other files from other groups. Some distros have an FXP Ratio on them. This is where credits come in. Credits are a figure that represents the amount of data you are allowed to download from an FTP Dump/site. The more credits you have, the more software/games/movies you are allowed to download. Think of credits as the money in the scene world. The more you have, the better off you are.

When a person wants to download something from a ratio dump, they have to have credits. The only way they can get credits, is to upload a file. Depending on the file size, they get a certain amount of credits. They can then use these to download other groups releases.

Topsites, Dump sites, and Distros are normally kept very secret. The amount of secrecy goes up the higher up you go, with access to topsites almost impossible unless you are very high up in the scene.

After a program hit's the distros, it will slowly trickle down a stream of anonymous
FTP's and undisclosed servers. Eventually, it shows up in the Peer to Peer programs that most of us use, like BitTorrent.

Additional Information

NFOs

Yes, those trusty little text files which come with the releases (or should do!). They
have nice pretty ASCII picture and contain details of the releases, any instructions
for the release and often groups add little notes about the scene and send greets
to other groups. You might also notice at the bottom of NFOs that other group names
have been added to the NFO and are not in the greets section. These have been added
by a site which the release pre'd on and the site has added a list of their affils.

0-X ACCESS

Your level of access to warez can be catagorised by the time it takes to reach you. If you have pre-0-sec access then you will have access to files before they are pre’d on Topsites. If you have 0-sec access then you have access to files as soon as they are pre. 0-day, you have access to releases the day they are released, 0-week…

This post has been created and compiled by [lexapro] and LocK 

Information like this is what I would like to share and try to get. Yes I can search for it but we can also discuss it. :huh: ^_^ :P B) :D

#6 Belgarath

Belgarath

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 395 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 04:12 PM

Warez groups and the "warez scene" you speak of sucks.

The propaganda you posted has no relevant social meaning and was written by someone with no more social or technical skills then the average windows user. The tone of the 'message' was one of seeking to gain recognition for giving others a bad name by proclaiming themselves something they are not in a fruitless attempt to redeem themselves and give there lives the meaning it lacks, both in the eyes of there peers and in there own eyes.

In the whole warez kiddies are stuck up insipid fools with no social skills and nothing meaningful enough to call a life who do it as a way to fill up the emptiness of there own lives.

Don't attempt to be one as that path is a direct dead end and is not worth learning about.

If your a warez 'whore' your a idiot and should be shot, as you clearly have no beneficial use in society. It would not miss you and if your into the warez scene deep down you know it too.

I'm saying this in a attempt to help, btw.

Edited by Belgarath, 24 July 2004 - 04:15 PM.

#7 chillmaster

chillmaster

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:20 PM

/me silently agrees with Belgarath

When i think of warez groups I think of rich snobby teenagers with mad internet connections that are trying to be hackers.....

but thats just me, thats how I roll. :P

#8 metadox

metadox

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:25 PM

I agree with you Belgarath, but only because it makes sense to say that your contributing to a dead end. But I'm sure in your days of using computers you have downloaded one or maybe more Warez, Movies, Mp3's, etc. That does not make you a bad person, does it? /Metadox shrugs his should at Belgarath

Belgarath - Warez kiddies are stuck up insipid fools with no social skills and nothing meaningful enough to call a life who do it as a way to fill up the emptiness of there own lives.

I think with all there is to do in ones day you can learn a little of everything. If I decide to study Java one day and feel like I'm burning my self out. Why not unwind by getting things that can be so dirt cheep would that make me wrong?

The Mentor - This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud.  We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals.  We explore... and you call us criminals.  We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals.  We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

You speak very educated and with reason, but remember that this is a site that contributes to hackers and or crackers. You must take a step back a look at the big picture before calling people names. You can't be ignorant nor hypocrite in my opinion.

#9 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:42 PM

Belgarath: a little harsh. You don't have to agree with it or support it, but the attack at those who think differently than you do was a little much. :nono:

"I don't like the warez scene" would have sufficed.

Now, that ebing said, I don't like the warez scene much either. But I ackowledge its existance. I also acknowledge that there is a connection to hackers. This is not condoning it directly, just stating a point of fact. There is nothign wrong with talking about it and the warez scene in an intelligent, analytical, and RESPECTFUL way.

Also, there is a very long article in the current 2600 magazine about this very topic that pretty much hits all of those points that you posted about. If you haven't gotten it yet, and are interested in this scene, you should definately buy this issue.

#10 metadox

metadox

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:49 PM

Thanks stank I really haven't gotten around to pick up the new issue. Talking about zines, the one you had for say at Hope. Was that only for hope or is that the new zine for BinRev? Let me know I would like a copy if so don't mind paypaling you the money.

#11 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:06 AM

Thanks stank I really haven't gotten around to pick up the new issue. Talking about zines, the one you had for say at Hope. Was that only for hope or is that the new zine for BinRev? Let me know I would like a copy if so don't mind paypaling you the money.

It will be on the website as soon as I can get to a printer. I am also currently out of 1.1 and 1.2 so those of you who have orders, please be patient.

#12 Belgarath

Belgarath

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:58 AM

Belgarath: a little harsh. You don't have to agree with it or support it, but the attack at those who think differently than you do was a little much. :nono:

"I don't like the warez scene" would have sufficed.

Your right, I think I took it personal when hakt was downed. My first interaction with warez whores was not a nice one. I'm jaded.

That being said:
I know first hand the damage that can be dealt wth due to the immature actions taken in the name of the warez scene; my research has shown more often then not (every time in fact) that the warez 'member' (I'm trying to be nice) is a idiot with no life as I said above.

You should check out this thread:
http://www.binrev.co...?showtopic=7069

Since it was picked up by a warez kiddy who chose to respond and the overall tone after the initail rant is cival and smart IMHO. It also clearly shows that I am right and provides some smart thoughts on the subject.

#13 metadox

metadox

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:54 AM

I remember now, I even said I'm sorry and felt bad for you. I guess my views are a little mixed up now. I admire what the warez groups do for those less fortunate. At the same time now I feel that there is wrong in what they do. You said you program open source. Do you see what you said Open Source (which is good). The fact that someone's trying to make money off a software (which I think should be open source) sucks. I program for my employer I don't get bent out of shape when I hear people talk about warez. I understand now that these warez groups brought your server down and probley lost some very important data of yours. But you still never answered my question have you ever used warez in the past? If so then why get mad. You can say "do as I say and not as I do" then your just being hypocritical. I think my search in trying to find these warez groups will stop since I have a better understanding of what they do to public ftp's. But I'm not going to stand around and bash on them or hate them unless they attack me first (I have two servers up, one's serving ftp's). Then it will be lessen learned until then.... Sorry that you have already experienced this.

#14 d_v310p3r

d_v310p3r

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:42 AM

Thee are people in this world that do things for all the wrong reasons. Then there are people that do them for the right reasons. The WAREZ scene, I am sure is filled with a mixture of the two.

Maybe some people do it because they are bored and having nothing else to do, and it gives them some sort of high to crack a program, or to hack an FTP to use its bandwidth, or whatever it is they do. Some other people may do it becuase they feel, like myself, that software that could and should be alot less expensive needs to be distributed equally to those who may not have financial access to them. The very best example of an application that needs to be freely distributed or at least greatly reduced in price, or offered freely with optional packages, is WINDOWS.

I don't care what anyone says. Windows is the main OS in the world, and until the world is overun be computer geeks and hobbyists, LINUX WILL NOT BE MAINSTREAM (unless the distrubutors of Linux, i.e. Redhat Mandrake, smarten up and make it more user friendly, so that someone like, lets say, my grandma can us it). So as free as it is, it does not have the capabilities and impact that Windows currently has. Programmers are writing code for Windows applications and they are making money off of it. Programmers writing code for Linux, are not. This OPEN SOURCE movement Belgarath was speaking of is only happening amongst
the computer geeks and hobbyists, and it is also happening amongst those rich kids with nothing to do who are now or have learned Linux, because they hae the time to learn it.

In the end, my point is this:
METADOX do what makes you happy or allows you to have fun. If you want to be a part of the WAREZ scene, becuase you want to help the less forunate, great. If you want to do it, because you and some body of yours have nothing to do with their lives, fine, just don't hurt anyone. All I ask is that you try and learn as much as possible about anything and everything.

Maybe someday, OPEN SOURCE programmers and normal ones alike will make the same amount of money. Maybe if the community of computer people realize that this coders take much time and effort to create something for the masses, they will donate to the people who create them. Then there will not be a need for WAREZ groups. Of course big corps will crumble if this happened, and the quality and support of purchased applications will go into the crapper.

But hey, Alls well that ends Well.

Signed,

d_v310p3r

You can believe what you want, for the moment, but your beliefs are worth nothing if your not open to changing them in the next.

#15 Belgarath

Belgarath

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:04 AM

But you still never answered my question have you ever used warez in the past?

I have never used warez in my life.

#16 J0hny_Lightning

J0hny_Lightning

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:14 PM

In my opinion the warez scene is pretty lame, because it is a pissing contest to see who can distribute the most expensive software for free. However, behind all that there are people who reverse engineer some crazy stuff in order provide cracks for certain software. Sometimes the level of expertise required to do that stuff is pretty high, and the people who crack software are not always driven by the scene.

#17 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:53 PM

In the end, my point is this:
METADOX do what makes you happy or allows you to have fun. If you want to be a part of the WAREZ scene, becuase you want to help the less forunate, great. If you want to do it, because you and some body of yours have nothing to do with their lives, fine, just don't hurt anyone. All I ask is that you try and learn as much as possible about anything and everything.

I have no moral objection to software piracy, but come on, this is just faulty logic. Saying that piracy 'helps people less fortunate' is creating a false justification after the fact. Also, it's pure bullshit, seeing as the warez scene is comprised of a bunch of self-serving fucksticks, who either get their jollies from theft ("ha-ha, have all these apps that I didn't pay for!"), or from being a big shot in their particular circle (ie, having the fattest pipe or the most bytes).

Pirate software if you want, even distribute it, but your not a fucking freedom fighter.

Edited by neuro, 25 July 2004 - 10:53 PM.

#18 d_v310p3r

d_v310p3r

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:09 PM

Main point in the quote you took from my post was "IF". If being that if he was doing it to help the less fortunate.

Now maybe no one does it to help the less fortunate but if he wanted to do it for that purpose, great. Otherwise... well it's all in my first post.

Signed,

d_v310p3r

You can believe what you want, for the moment, but your beliefs are worth nothing if your not open to changing them in the next.

#19 metadox

metadox

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:52 AM

It's funny because as where talking about this, there's another post going on about how suprnova selling out. I think hacnslash just got the url wrong, but still funny to me.

#20 d_v310p3r

d_v310p3r

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:36 PM

Can you send the link to that post. I want to read.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!