• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:10 AM

I just changed my OS to Red Hat Linux 8.0 but i can't hear any sound!
I know that the problem is not hardware because it works in Windows XP. So i tryed looking for something with sound, but the only thing i can find is, a dialog where it says that it can't find the sound card.

Please :help: me!

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:33 AM

Is it an unusual soundcard? Is it onboard the motherboard? It is not disabled in the bios is it?

Unfortunately, I do not have speakers/sound on my redhat box, so those are all that I can think of. I am sure someone here will know though.

#3 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:20 AM

I am using Sound Blaster Live!, and it works in windows so i belive it is a problem with the software.

#4 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:23 AM

If there's a Hardware Browser, see if your card is listed. If so, check the mixer or sound properties and make sure the sound is turned up.

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:55 AM

if not you might wanna go thru the sound configuration utility, I believe it comes with all of the distros, if you don't know anything about your soundcard though, just select the stuff you do know and then select settings one by one until it works, like for example the irq channel, if you don't know what channel your card uses just select the channels one by one, I think there's only a couple of chioces. That's how I got my sound card to work under old red hat 6.1.....

#6 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 10:03 AM

I solved the problem!
Because that you mentioned that with bios, i just tryed looking around there and saw that plug and play OS was on! then i just switched it to of, and when i started Red Hat it came with a little setup guide and then it worked.

#7 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 02:31 PM

score!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!