• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 534 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:52 AM

RFA 51: great fucking show! REALLY dug the old skool tech segment talking about the C64. I had a C128 as well as an Atari 800XL (I still have the Atari someplace). When you started talking about the game "Hacker", I went spastic. THAT game was the main reason I got the C128, cuz they didn't make it for the Atari. I hadn't thought about it in years. Hearing you guys talk about it, I knew I had to play it again.

So, I went to VersionTracker and found a really awesome C64 emulator for Mac OS X. I'm sure there are emulators for Windows, so you should check it out. There are tons of C64 emulation sites where you can probably download an emulator.

The emulator didn't come with any games, so I did a Google search for "commodore 64 hacker" and found a link that brought me
HERE

There it was.....Hacker! I downloaded it, "booted the floppy" into the emulator...and there I was.....playing Hacker once again. It was just TOO fucking cool!

Also downloaded a couple of old Infocom (I think that was the company, maybe Infoseek?) text adventures: Leather Godess of Phobos and Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy. Fer chrissake.....I'm downloading all the friggin' games. Here's a screen shot of Hacker running on my G4:
Posted Image

I wish I could remember the damn password....but if you get it wrong enough times it will log you in anyway. Now I have to find the GEOS GUI that they made for the Commodore and play with that again. Ahhh...the memories......

So, you guys did it to me again. You *forced* me to reevalute some old skool tech and LEARN (or RE-LEARN) something. Darn the luck. :D

But your old skool tech segment was timely, as I *just* finished resurrecting a 19-year old Macintosh Plus...one of the first Macs they came out with....just like the one Scotty used in Star Trek IV.

I found it in my girlfriend's attic. I had to find a keyboard, mouse and replace the floppy drive, but I found the parts dirt cheap on Ebay. Short version: I got the thing running...with its whopping 1MB of RAM, 4Mhz processor and 9 inch display. What am I going to do with it? I have NO fucking idea. The point is, that I restored it, got it working and got to play with some ancient computer tech. Old skool computers, baby! Gotta love 'em!

I also want to publicly thank Stank and dual for the AWESOME shout out they gave me on the show. I'm very humbled. :blush:

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 05:25 AM

Hell yeah! I'm going to look for a C64/128 emulator for Linux as soon as I can (yes, kondor, I'm sure it's included in Debian).

Your taskbar is crazy, btw.

#3 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 08:30 AM

Hell yeah!  I'm going to look for a C64/128 emulator for Linux as soon as I can (yes, kondor, I'm sure it's included in Debian).

Your taskbar is crazy, btw.

Try here...
"Simon Goodwin surveys Linux emulators for Commodore's most successful 8 bit micro"
There's a bunch of them....

Yeah, I have way too many apps, but I use them all. There are some folders and drives that I access alot that are mixed there too. Eventually I'll map keyboard shortcuts for some of them and clear up the clutter. But now that I have all these C64 games to play, I might never do anything else ever again.... :lol:

#4 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:34 AM

I grabbed VICE and the first "game" I grabbed...sex_cartoons from c64.com. :D It's hilarious...or sick...

#5 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,213 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 05:32 PM

you guys where talking about Vonage Digital... I heard they don't service n11 numbers like 411,911 and anyother n11 number you might have in your L.C.A. (local calling area) but other than that i've heard pretty good reviews from everyone.

#6 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 08:03 PM

I thought it was strange also since 911 access is required by law.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!