• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 09:27 AM

would it be bad to have two hdd in the same box loaded with the same os?
its a long story and i really don't want to tell :D

#2 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 09:49 AM

Cant see any problem with that, just make sure you set with the jumpers which is primary / secondary, and have them configured correctly in the bios.
(only primary will usually boot)

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 11:09 AM

its a long story and i really don't want to tell :D

come on tell us the story :blush:

#4 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 11:12 AM

well i guess it's not really that long..... actually pretty short

my mobo died...... i think.....or hope not!!! :D

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 11:51 AM

Did IT die or did YOU kill it? I mean what happened, power surge, or short circuit, or how did it die? I've had a mobo go out on me, well I short circuited it so it fried, I wonder if there's anything I can do with it?? well anyway....

#6 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 11:56 AM

i hope IT didn't die.... i have no idea what happen but it was kindda slowly dieing anyhow. the sound on the board went out awhile back and then i had problems with the IDE controllers and now it won't boot. so it was inevible that this was going to happen i just wish i didn't have all of my downloads on that box ( bigger hdd so more storage for P2P). but another question.... how would i tell what kind of mobo i have to replace this one? from atx or whatnot?

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:01 PM

well, you need to find a mobo ith the same socket to accommodate the proccessor, that is if you wnat to use the same proccessor, you also need to get a mobo that, as you said, fits your case, if it's a proprietary dell or gateway or compaq case you might have to get a new case while you're at it, don't worry they're not all that expensive.

#8 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:04 PM

but how would be able to tell what type of board i need. i could buy it from compaq but i would like to save money and maybe get one from ebay *cringe* or dive and find one (would be sweet), or maybe dive and get a new case!!

wait if i have a compaq box then anyother mobo i buy will not fit my case i have now?

#9 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:08 PM

I have a compaq and it's an atx case, maybe you should just go ahead and get a new case too, check these deals out:
http://ebuyer.com/cu...&subcat_uid=100
these are 20 bucks with a new power supply and it's only 10 more bucks for shippin, that's a good deal and it takes the guessin part out, I would get a new case too....

#10 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:20 PM

acutally its 20 pounds!!! so its probably 10 pounds for shipping in the UK. that would some shipping charge on that!! but yea its a good deal!!

btw what the conversion from pounds to the us dollar? 1:5?

#11 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:22 PM

It's pounds, dammit, sorry man, I gotta read these things more carefully, sorry again, but it still is a sweet deal, yeah I think that's the most general approximation 1:1.5

Dude I know why it's pounds, when you go to ebuyer.com it prompts you for your country, I must've clicked on the uk, just click on the US and navigate to the cases section, the prices there have to be in dollars

#12 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:40 PM

ahhhh there we go. Thanx a ton dude!!! :D :voteyes: 20 bux for case and powersupply sweet maybe i should get a barebones sys and get a case and new mobo and just swap drives and memory out of the old case!! probably be cheaper!

#13 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:50 PM

That might be cheaper but you get more control over which hardware you buy if you get separate components, but it'd be easier to just get a barebones with a new mobo ram and cpu, but then again the control issue comes up, well it depends on what you want

oh and you might wanna check newegg out:
http://www.newegg.co...pertycodevalue=

#14 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:00 PM

holy shit dude.... thanx a ton. i just might go with building a box. it would be a great learning experience

#15 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:03 PM

just be careful and take all the precautions (anti-static wrist strap, anti static bags for hdd and ram), I would know what not to do when workin on an open computer, so just be safe and don't be sorry (yeah I know it's cliche but I had to say it)

#16 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:07 PM

oh of course. i've worked on open boxes i've never done a mobo yet. so it will be phun!!!

#17 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:11 PM

Good luck man, right now I'm lookin to buy a laptop to create a dedicated linux machine, but after lookin at those cheap mobo's I'm thinkin that maybe I should just build myself a cheap duron system and screw the laptop idea, well I'll think about it......

#18 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:18 PM

i need to upgrade an old box of mine. and by old i mean an old pack bell pentium 100mhz :D :D! thats gonna be my *nix box just need a bigger hdd and ram

#19 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:21 PM

I used to have just that, an old pac bell 100Mhz with 8 megs of ram, with an 800 meg hdd, I had it upgraded to a 1.5 gig hard after a couple of months from buying it, the thing had a factory defect and the hdd was bad. I remember it had 1 meg of video ram, twirlz is this the same configuration you have?? that'd be a pretty big coincidence ^_^

#20 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:23 PM

i have a 1gig hdd and its been upgraded to 32 ram, other than that its the same!!! :D

my first box what a pack bell 486 75mhz with 4 megs ram and 500 meg hdd
and i got it at wal-mart :D :D

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!