• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Quasi_Mofo

Quasi_Mofo

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:06 PM

Are there any Linux distros that would support booting from an external Firewire drive?

#2 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:17 AM

I wanted to do this as well a couple of months ago, but scraped the idea. I think you need to see if the kernel has firewire support, and if your bios supports booting from the firewire drive, this is what I checked first and my bios didn't supportbooting from firewire, only usb, so I just bought an internal drive.

#3 JHVH-1

JHVH-1

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:06 PM

The bios would have to be the thing to support booting off it. As far as I know the linux kernel has firewire support, so it would just be the bios which has to boot off of it. You could always have a partition anywhere that linux can read and use it, so you could also boot off a IDE or other media and then mount the main partition off the firewire drive.

#4 Quasi_Mofo

Quasi_Mofo

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:50 PM

I can boot from an external Firewire drive. Not a problem. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to take a Linux drive and plug it into my other computers that have Firewire, so I could boot up into Linux on any of the machines.

But, I sorta answered my own question this morning by slapping myself in the forehead and letting out a deafening "DOH!". Since I use Macs, I've been playing with a couple of PPC-based distros, namely Yellow Dog (basically Red Hat 7.2 ported to run on a PPC processor), and Mandrake 8.2 PPC, which I installed this weekend. Both run well, but I thought it would be nice to play with some straight Wintel-based Linux....but I realy don't want to buy *another* computer. ;) Then the light bulb came on and I remembered that I have Virtual PC on all my machines. Sooooo.....I downloaded the ISOs for Red Hat 8.0, burned the CDs, set up a new virtual machine in VPC and installed RH 8.0. It runs really well and it'll be fun to play around with.

The cool thing is that I can copy the Linux disc image to any of my other machines with Virtual PC. I can tinker and experiment with Linux all I want, and if I screw up and hose something, I just have to recopy the disc image into Virtual PC from a backup copy.

But it's good to hear that at least some Linux distros do support Firewire, cuz that opens alot of other possibilities.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!