• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 doug

doug

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:12 PM

I want to get a payphone and mount it on my wall for my room. I don't need the coin despot to work, just as long as the actual telephone and ringer work. I wouldn't even mind going for an oldskool kind. I see a few on ebay but i'm wondering around how much do I wanna spend for?

#2 freek

freek

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:38 PM

I don't know, I've never 'bought' a payphone.

#3 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:45 PM

thank you freek for demonstrating what an absolutly worthless post is

Have you checked that BellSouth clearance auction site that was posted on here a while ago? Maybe also a local COCOT company would have an old phone they would sell yo you

#4 replax

replax

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:53 PM

ebay results are interesting, buy now for $65, not bad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...6101471872&rd=1

#5 freek

freek

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:02 PM

Thank you, GIJoe

#6 mausa

mausa

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:15 PM

Thats actually a pretty good idea. But can you connect them to the phone line in your room without any problem? Do you need a special adapter or something

#7 doug

doug

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:18 PM

you can connect them with no problem, even to your voip line. but you can't charge. because thats all done with the CO, you'd have to call your CO and ask for a payphone line because you're a busniess. but thats too much. I just want it in my room for the ringer and to use it and to fear my friends who visit.

I think those old '50s look alike payphones u can program yourself though so it can hook up to any line and set how much money to charge before you can place the call.

ebay results are interesting, buy now for $65, not bad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...6101471872&rd=1

i think thats thats 65.00 plus 20 bucks for the phone supplied. kind of gay of them

Edited by doug, 09 June 2004 - 04:20 PM.

#8 Belgarath

Belgarath

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:41 PM

I can get you any type you want. I just need the green.

#9 XinE

XinE

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:43 PM

you can check out Phonecoinc.com, they have Older Payphones from the 50's. Payphone.com has older and newer types of payphones, and they'll do programming. if i had the money to buy a payphone for my room, I would buy this one. How much do you want to spend doug? I dont think you want to put $300 on a payphone, why not just find a secluded one, steal it, then try to reprogram that? or mabye thats a little risky :D I think if you can find a good working one for under $100, that would be a good deal.

#10 doug

doug

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:08 PM

Sale price: $3,995.00
that aint bad

I could just settle for this:
Posted Image

http://buyinnovation...elty_phone.html

Anyone have one of these? The actual phone works, but i wonder if the coin operations work at all if you can program it yourself. That would be even cooler and worth the few bucks it is on ebay.

Edited by doug, 09 June 2004 - 06:38 PM.

#11 av1d

av1d

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:40 PM

Sale price: $3,995.00
that aint bad

I could just settle for this:
[image snipped]

that phone is sick! Gimme!

#12 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:48 PM

mount it on the wall studs or it may fall out, with about $130 in change and all working components, they weigh about 60lb, empty should be a lot less

#13 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:08 PM

If you're going to get a phone for home use, make sure there is absolutely no electronic circuitry inside of it whatsoever; you're gonna be looking for a phone manufactured before 1984 by Western Electric or possibly Automatic Electric, Northern Electric / Northern Telecom, or Stromberg-Carlson. If you get such a phone, you'll be able to use it at home just fine, though the coin control circuitry wont work (and i would advise against dropping in coins at all because they'll likely fuck up the coin relay). Avoid anythig that's "converted for home use" because they've screwed with the phone somehow.

#14 doug

doug

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:20 PM

why do i have to be so careful? Can it harm my line somehow?

#15 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:22 PM

Mot that it will harm your line, but it will probably end up being either utterly useless (a la my Nortel Millennium set) or it will sort of work but you won't be able to program it correctly. So it's easier to just avoid that hassle and get a REAL payphone, like God intended for you to have :)

#16 doug

doug

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:43 PM

i'm not concerned with coin despositing, as long as the call can be placed. that's why i'd have to get a real payphone. if i get a real payphone then coin despositing wont even work because i'd have to have a real payphone line. i'm just gonna hook the fucker up to my voip line. and print some inserts for it, and put a phone book on top of it.

maybe make my own insert "VoIP Payphone, 0 cents for unlimited calling to anywhere in the US"

#17 Random_Cola

Random_Cola

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:06 AM

I have a payphone in my room, I picked it up at a pawn shop for 100 bucks. Now I'm working on gettin a phone booth. I found that a common place to see this type of thing is in antiqe shops, they have alot of OLD phones. I have on in my living room that has the crank on it. its from like the 1930's its really neat, Ill hook you guys up with some pictures ASAP~

#18 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:11 PM

Don't get "made for home" crap. If its real from the street, it won't make a difference, just hook it the hell up! With mine from strait off a wall in NY city, I just hooked it up, I got quarte signals and all when I put money in. I't won't ask you for money, you can make calls. If thats not good enough, you can set the coin counter and internal mian board to 0 cents.

Make sure you get a T-key with it, or else you need to make your own way to unlock it. you can do all sorts of fun stuff, like change vault doors with ones from e-bay. Verizon one month, Pac Bell the next! Just get one that doesn't have the locks and no keys, you will go crazy. Keep in mind, mine was strait pryed off a NY city wall, I set it up for half a year, but it met its fate with a crow bar (thanks curiosity). I did $135 from inside! I saved every part and only need a outer casing for the back, a payphone is a must have in my book :voteyes:

#19 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:22 PM

i dont know if my walls in my box behind burger king could support the weight

#20 BriskAttivo

BriskAttivo

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:36 PM

This may piss some people off, but oh well. Are you against the old hacksaw method? You know... Walk into Wal-Mart, buy a hacksaw, cut payphone in the shadows off ground. Because I don't think you're going to find the type of phone you're looking for, an RBOC phone, on eBay or some website that easily.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!