- - - - -

Spider box

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GUEST_m2mike_***

GUEST_m2mike_***
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:11 AM

Has anyone here ever constructed a spider box? "What is a spider box?", you might wonder. I'll tell you. It is a proximity card reader that can basically read someone's card info. This was discussed at H2K2 by Delchi.

#2 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:48 AM

I saw the presentation at H2K2 and I decided that once I have tons of money and time I'm going to construct my own. It's pretty simple to do actually but you'll need enough cash to drop on the near $1,000 card reader (at least my source wants almost that much for it).

After seeing how many places use prox. card and ONLY prox. card for their security I think it's a valuable toy to have. :D

If I build one I'll post the results.

#3 lowtec

lowtec

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:04 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen readers for around $200, but even that is kinda steep.

#4 GUEST_m2mike_***

GUEST_m2mike_***
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

Can anyone recommend any particular model numbers or manufacturers for the construction of the "spider box"? Isn't it just a reader with a 12V battery?

I have found these urls:

http://www.at-fairfa...yStandAlone.htm
http://www.gatekeepe...CardReaders.htm

Edited by m2mike, 09 June 2004 - 07:05 PM.

#5 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:26 PM

There are some very cheap readers on that first page (sub $100!) but there are two issues with them that I can see.

First, there's no clear explanation of what kind of prox. cards it reads. I'd assume generally that there's a standard that it'd have to adhere to but from the other pages where they show their selection of cards I'm not 100% sure. Since their cards that are specifically mentioned to work with their readers are so much cheaper I tend to think that something fishy is going on.

Second, the reading distance is only 5" - 6". On an $800 reader it's MUCH further than that (several feet).

#6 blakmac

blakmac

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:40 AM

Second, the reading distance is only 5" - 6".

Two words - Crowded Elevator.

#7 wonderland

wonderland

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:29 AM

:o

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!