• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:08 AM

i've been seaching google for some proctor test set numbers and all i can come up with is 111 or 117 and was wondering if anyone else had other numbers for the test sets. im in qwest country and i want to play around!

#2 doug

doug

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:39 PM

it woudlnt work because it has to be on the same switch to access it. for ringer tests and coin tests, coin return tests etc. try scan for 11x on your land line if u can find it. i dunno if qwest uses one. I heard that the proctor test set is asome small black box ina CO that is tiny as hell, you could steal that shit and hook it up to your phone. Thats what i wanna do.

#3 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:49 PM

it woudlnt work because it has to be on the same switch to access it. for ringer tests and coin tests, coin return tests etc. try scan for 11x on your land line if u can find it. i dunno if qwest uses one. I heard that the proctor test set is asome small black box ina CO that is tiny as hell, you could steal that shit and hook it up to your phone. Thats what i wanna do.

dialling 11x is the same as dialing "*x".

anyone know what a proctor sounds like? I have a bunch of weird test lines...

#4 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

it woudlnt work because it has to be on the same switch to access it.  for ringer tests and coin tests, coin return tests etc.  try scan for 11x on your land line if u can find it.  i dunno if qwest uses one.  I heard that the proctor test set is asome small black box ina CO that is tiny as hell, you could steal that shit and hook it up to your phone.  Thats what i wanna do.

i suppose if i scan npa-nxx-11xx then its not the same at "*xx"

i remember hearing on stroms recordings at oldskoolphreak that its sez something about the proctor test set unless there is different recordings to mask it.

#5 av1d

av1d

Hakker addict

• 508 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:27 PM

it woudlnt work because it has to be on the same switch to access it.  for ringer tests and coin tests, coin return tests etc.  try scan for 11x on your land line if u can find it.  i dunno if qwest uses one.  I heard that the proctor test set is asome small black box ina CO that is tiny as hell, you could steal that shit and hook it up to your phone.  Thats what i wanna do.

11x is not the same as dialing *x, (x= any number incase people are wondering).
The switch translates 11 into * only if there is a corresponding code.
For example, the switch knows *67 exists,so if it hears you dial 1167 it will activate caller ID restriction.

Let's say your local switch only uses these "star codes" with the digits 7x and 8x.
Now if you dial * and then any digit except 7 or 8 you are probably going to be met with a reorder or a message stating that your call cannot be completed as dialed.

In certain Verizon areas 113 is a ringback,
however, you cannot access it by dialing *3 because *3 translates differently than 113.

#6 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:44 PM

does verizon use this test set? I tryed all the 11x and then *x, I did find something interesting, after dialing 11* it still waited for number to be entered, I didn't get to try all of them because i had to leave. But I would get like three rings before the errors would come up.

#7 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:58 PM

my test set most likely has programed numbers in it but i dont use it too often so i havent checked out what the numbers were

#8 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:32 PM

For areas of California that are former GTE towns, 117 will get you the proctor test set if and only if the switch is a GTD-5 EAX. I also remember that in the San Francisco area, the proctor test set is available from Pacific Bell numbers; dial the prefix on which the western electric coin phones exist plus 0040 (but again, only for that switch). I have no idea whether this worls unilaterally across Pacific Bell switches, nor do i know whether a difference exists between DMS offices and 5ESS offices.

None of this may apply outside of California.

One other thing to note is that the primary purpose of the proctor test set appears to be the testing of electromechanical coin phones, so if your office only seems to contain COCOTs or Millennium phones, your chances of finding a proctor test set are quite low.

For more details, listen to "Southern California, Part Two" at http://www.stromcarlson.com/audio/

Edited by Strom Carlson, 04 June 2004 - 07:35 PM.

#9 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:39 PM

does verizon use this test set?

When talking about Verizon, it's still extremely important to make the distinction between GTE areas and Bell Atlantic areas; GTE was very different from the Bell companies in many ways, and a number of gigantic differences still exist from a technical point of view.

#10 doug

doug

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:52 PM

This is kind of ironic but listen to default radio in the beginning for a proctor test set recording with lucky. We recorded this saturday night and decided to play it as a recording on default for fridays show so it's kind of ironic that this discussion is brought up. it's a pretty intresting recording.

#11 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:04 PM

When I say verizon, I will always mean former Bell Atlantic, Since I hope its clear, I live in NEW JERSEY, Thats why I got so pissed about the datu thing!

#12 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:14 PM

I will have to make a note of it.

[scribbles on piece of paper]

There, I have made a note of it.

#13 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:17 PM

I will have to make a note of it.

[scribbles on piece of paper]

There, I have made a note of it.

#14 doug

doug

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:19 PM

fuck bell atlantic. when i say verizon i mean gte. i'll just say GTE.
GENREAL TELEPHONE FOR LIFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Shit out here still says gte. and i love my gte caller id box

#15 replax

replax

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:29 PM

from what i hear the verizon higher ups are all bell atlantic people.

GTE is General Telephone & Electronics
some of the older folks call it GT & E. and GTE Federal Credit union is still called GTE federal credit union.

<side note>
AT&T is the American Telegraph & Telephone company, i thik they should take the telegraph out of their name. just AT (American Telephone), or perhaps NAT (North American Telephone), or WHT (Western Hemisphere Telephone), or EBLDT(Earth Based Long Distance Telephone Company). Whatever the case, its name is obsolete.
</side note>

#16 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:31 PM

AT&T actually doesn't technically stand for anything anymore. The name has been legally changed to just "AT&T."

However, they certainly had no trouble accepting the check i wrote out to "The American Telephone & Telegraph Co." recently.

Edited by Strom Carlson, 04 June 2004 - 08:31 PM.

#17 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:42 PM

I love my bell atlantic caller id box, and I'm trying to get a nynex caller id box.

Nice sidenote, whay don't they just do "the phone company", but anyway, to many old people are used to AT&T, I bet we would be the only people to keep it strait, when they switched to verizon I remember how confused my parents were, but they were running bell atlantic dsl add the same times they were running the "we are now verizon adds." Any one see that add, that kid was really into the trucks.

Edited by phreakblaze, 04 June 2004 - 08:48 PM.

#18 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:00 PM

<side note>
AT&T is the American Telegraph & Telephone company, i thik they should take the telegraph out of their name. just AT (American Telephone), or perhaps NAT (North American Telephone), or WHT (Western Hemisphere Telephone), or EBLDT(Earth Based Long Distance Telephone Company). Whatever the case, its name is obsolete.
</side note>

Think in practical business sense. The name AT&T is known by billions. There is no legal problems. Why the hell would they change it? Nobody even knows what it (used) to stand for anways. And AT&T is a cool name besides :)

#19 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:04 PM

what are you talking about, adding DSL?

or do you mean "ad" as in "advertisement"?

(come on, people, English isn't that difficult of a language)

#20 doug

doug

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:07 PM

wait..at&t doesn't provide telegraph services anymore. wtf am i paying this bill for.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!