• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bi0s

Bi0s

Gibson Hacker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:59 AM

looks like i could be in the market for a new job soon.

this is a peice of an IM convo earlier today.

Evo says:
amy & i were talking, and, ....uh... your hacking activities have been noticed.

Bi0s says:
what do you mean?

Evo says:
she was saying that she didn't want to pull you in to you office yet, because she hasn't seen you fucking off herself, right? and then she said, but some of the stuff ppl say he's doing is pretty serious.

Bi0s says:
wha? like what?

Bi0s says:
how in the fuck would anybody know i was hacking?

Evo says:
I'm like what do you mean? she says, well, some ppl have metioned that he happens to know alot about "hacking". *at this point she starts talking low, like the friggin walls are bugged or some shit* and well, thats serious. he'll get fired for that. I was like: what? i doubt it. she says, well, thats just what ppl are saying.

Bi0s says:
fuk

Evo says:
yea.

I'll admit i fuk off alot. I browse the web alot. But hacking at work? Just because i know alot about it dosen't mean i should get in trouble. damnit this pisses me off.

the only info i could have slipped on was when i was talking w/ some ppl about firewalls & stuff i think....
this sucks.

#2 GodH8sMe

GodH8sMe

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 09:31 AM

Yikes. I suggest laying low until you're sure this Amy character has moved on to other topics of interest. I find the best thing to do is not let anyone in on your "hobby". Feign ignorance. Don't be the first to offer your help when a printer goes down, or someone's having trouble with their email. Of course, I work in a non-technical field, so these sorts of things happen a lot. The less they think you know the better. Make sure to clean up after yourself - and never slack. It's also not a good idea to take unnecessary risks - no matter how tempting the target is. If your boss knows you should be staring at a boring spreadsheet all day, don't let her see your desktop with 15 windows open behind it.

I once let slip my habits to coworkers, and that was a very bad move. Thankfully I was able to 'repair' most of their newfound knowledge (through a series of very clever social engineering interactions) and restore them to their previous clueless state. Safest for me.

One cannot trust anyone these days.

#3 Bi0s

Bi0s

Gibson Hacker

• 95 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 09:49 AM

Amy is the boss. :huh:

but yea, i'm going to watch what i say from now on.
also, now that i think about it. the 2600 shirts on fridays & the desktop that says wardriver. may have clued them in :help:

#4 Evo_Tech

Evo_Tech

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 10:51 AM

Hrm. Ya think? BA, most people around there don't even know what the hell 2600 is. Sadly, it probably is because you tend to display a rather extensive knowledge of the inter-workings of computers and networks, which is "dangerous" acording to some...

Besides, you need a new job anyway.

:mumble: ...i think i might to. this place is going even closer to hell than before... :glare:

#5 latency

latency

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 10:52 AM

i agree - lay low but try and play it all off - don't act nervous or panic and go nuts deleting everything or changing your habits - leave the wallpaper, keep wearing the 2600 shirts - if you haven't done anything wrong then don't act "guilty" and start trying to hide or change, etc. - just like you shouldn't apologize for something you didn't do, because why would you apologize if you didn't do it?

stay cool - if you haven't done anything wrong (that they know about..) and you've been keeping up with your work you should be fine!

#6 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 11:08 AM

the 2600 shirts on fridays & the desktop that says wardriver. may have clued them in :help:

That’s a distinct possibility ^_^

#7 paracord

paracord

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 11:30 AM

That's bullshit, just because you know things about computers your now a bad person???
What would they actually fire you for if you haven't done anything harmful?
So basically you would be fired for the ignorance of other people. Can you imagine some of the conversations around the office now that he's a known "HACKER!!!!" oh man.
Other than general computer stuff what have you been talking about around there that might of caused this crap?

#8 GodH8sMe

GodH8sMe

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 12:25 PM

http://content.msn.m...ticles/cutbait/

After seeing this article I wind up on msn.com and see this article, "9 Signs You'll Be Fired".

"That's bullshit, just because you know things about computers your now a bad person???"
Sadly this IS how it is.

#9 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 05:25 PM

erase all traces of STANKDAWG.COM from your history!!!! :D

Actually, I shouldn't joke, that is pretty fukked up. I did not "come out" as a hakker until I had worked for this place for about 4 or 5 years. And then, it was only to trusted friends. now, pretty much everyone knows. Now , they have no idea WHAT A HAKKER REALLY IS, but that is another story altogether. When a break-in or damage issue comes up and they make comments like "ask the hakker here" I respond by explaining what a hakker is and is not. They don't completely buy it, but that is their problem, not mine. My actions prove my words.

But back to you...

The 2600 shirts was a stupid move, :roll: but you can still play dumb. If they think you are too DUMB to be a hakker (because all hakkers are geniuses, right?), you can fool them. I would be all "I can't hack, I just know about what I read in the papers". I was talking about OTHER HAKKERS... ;)

this one worked for me at one job: "I wasn't hacking, I was trying to CATCH a HACKER who was trying to get US!". It worked for a while, until I did something else to blow my cover.

And I tell people all the time, don't hack where you work! I lookup 411 at work, then take it home for the real fun. Then, when I really don;t want to be caught, I go to a public location like a cybercafe, a library, or a university lab.

Until they actually *DO* something, just hang back, act REALLY FUKKING DUMB, and social engineer yourself into a zombie employee. Hopefully your "other work" will take off and you wont need that place anyway! Or, you could always quit... <_<

Let me know if you need any help.

#10 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 05:28 PM

you might also slip out if it gets really tight by referring to digitalrights.org which has NOTHING TO DO WITH HACKING! Explain that it is about digital rights on th einternet, and that maybe someone misconstrued it as hacking.

Just an afterthought.

#11 GodH8sMe

GodH8sMe

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 11:01 PM

I'm going to start wearing nothing but khakis and polo's I swear.

I just started a new job 2 months ago and after a month I walked in my my 2600 hat on. Oh man was that dumb. It was at a meeting we had, so every employee was there. One of my co-workers happened to "know what it was" (so he thinks) and in front of everyone he yells, "aahh the hack-attack hat!" At this point I'm just blankly staring at him. He kinda let it drop (acting like he's "in" with me now, and everyone else is some outsider that we need to keep out of the know).

Now, admittedly, I was kind of impressed. I thought maybe he was just in shock to run into someone who also had a clue. This wasn't the case. Turns out he's completely clueless.

He makes it a point to talk to me about topics he has absolutely no clue about, yet acts like he does. Then he blew it by explaining a problem he has with "opening certain file types"... *sigh* I'm back to explaining extentions, the Windows registry, and common sense. Apparently WinXP has some feature to search the internet (M$ database?) for popular filetypes, then offer the user to download the appropriate software? So I offer to burn him a cd of the most widely used programs (stuff like Quicktime, Real Player, Acrobat) and the next day he asks, "so, when I stick this in, it just pops up?"

*sigh*
I have no faith in this area anymore. I need to move.

I'm pretty sure he goes home at night thinking about what I do in my off time. Like sit around hand hack government computers, break into banks, and cut the power to small countries.

#12 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 02:50 AM

I did not "come out" as a hakker until I had worked for this place for about 4 or 5 years.

"come out" as a hacker! ;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!