• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:13 AM

Opinions (especially on linux) are like assholes, everybody has one, and we guard it with our lives. The options I have laid out are really for my own use, I just thought I would post them for everyone just in case you wanted to whip something up for your own personal reference.

a fully automated bash script for installing gentoo from stage 1 on a dell inspiron 8200 (loving gnome and flux, and playa-hating KDE) will be comming up in a few weeks, until I hammer it out, enjoy this.

Also, I went ahead and took the liberty of using the best bootsplash guide I have ever read in here as well. And I can't remember off the top of my head the proper syntax for the CFLAG for pentium4. so if anyone knows, please post it here so I can change it.

#################---------------------------------#################

A Gentoo stage 1 setup for people who know whats going on, but just hate having to wade through all of the gentoo install docs.
Following this guide will get you a working gentoo box without X.

Taken almost word for word from the gentoo install docs and shortened by: bland_inquisitor

www.blandinquisitor.com
www.oldskoolphreak.com
www.binrev.com

# cfdisk

/dev/hda1 32mb boot
/dev/hda2 512 swap
/dev/hda3 all the rest /

# mke2fs /dev/hda1
# mke2fs -j /dev/hda3
# mkswap /dev/hda2
# swapon /dev/hda2

# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/proc
# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc

# cd /mnt/gentoo
# links http://www.gentoo.or.../en/mirrors.xml

Find a mirror close to you then pick the releases/ directory, followed by your architecture (for instance x86/) and the Gentoo version (2004.1/) to finish up with the stages/ directory. There you should see all available stage files for your architecture. Select one and press D to download. When you're finished, press Q to quit the browser.

# tar -xvjpf stage?-*.tar.bz2
# nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf (see make.conf.example for proper pentium4 syntax)
CFLAGS="-02 -march=pentium-4 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
USE="gtk gnome -qt -kde -arts dvd alsa X ethereal"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"

# mirrorselect -a -s4 -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf (if this fails, don't worry)
# cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
# source /etc/profile
# emerge sync

# export USE="-java"
# cd /usr/portage
# scripts/bootstrap.sh
# source /etc/profile
# unset USE

# emerge system
# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago /etc/localtime

# emerge gentoo-dev-sources
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig

Code maturity level options --->
[*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

Processor type and features --->
Subarchitecture Type (PC Compatible) --->
(Change according to your system)
Processor family (Athlon/Duron/K7) --->

File systems --->
[*] Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)
[*] /proc file system support
[*] /dev file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)
[*] Automatically mount at boot

(Deselect the following unless you have a 2.6 kernel)
[ ] /dev/pts file system for Unix98 PTYs

(Select one or more of the following options as needed by your system)
<*> Reiserfs support
<*> Ext3 journalling file system support
<*> JFS filesystem support
<*> Second extended fs support
<*> XFS filesystem support
Note: Users of a 2.6 kernel will find some of the mentioned options under Pseudo filesystems which is a subpart of File systems.

Choose 'Console drivers' -> 'Frame-buffer support'. Set 'Support for frame buffer devices', 'VESA VGA graphics support' and 'Bootsplash configuration' -> 'Use splash screen' to built-in. You can ignore everything else under 'Frame-buffer support'.

# make && make modules_install
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz
# cp System.map /boot/System.map
# emerge nvidia-kernel

# nano -w /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1

none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user 0 0

# echo tux > /etc/hostname
# echo homenetwork > /etc/dnsdomainname
# rc-update add domainname default

# nano -w /etc/conf.d/net

iface_eth0="dhcp"
iface_eth1="dhcp"

# rc-update add net.eth0 default
# cd /etc/init.d
# ln -s net.eth0 net.eth1
# rc-update add net.eth1 default

# USE="-X" emerge pcmcia-cs
# rc-update add pcmcia default
# nano -w /etc/rc.conf

# emerge grub
# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

# emerge bootsplash
# emerge baselayout
# wget http://folk.uio.no/o...ergance.tar.bz2
# tar xjvf Emergance.tar.bz
# cp -R Emergance /etc/bootsplash/
# wget http://folk.uio.no/o...bootsplash.conf
# cp bootsplash.conf /etc/conf.d/
# wget http://folk.uio.no/o...ash/luxisri.ttf
# cp luxisri.ttf /etc/bootsplash/
# /sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/Emergance/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg >> /boot/initrd-Emergance

# nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x31A splash=silent
initrd=/boot/initrd-Emergance

#emerge xfsprogs
# emerge syslog-ng
# emerge vixie-cron
# rc-update add syslog-ng default
# rc-update add vixie-cron default
# rc-update add bootsplash default
# echo "tts/0" >> /etc/securetty
# passwd

# useradd john -m -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash
# passwd john

# exit
# cd /
# umount /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo
# reboot

#2 greystatic

greystatic

mad 1337

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:49 AM

A bit different style than the one you did, but there's also a quick install reference at the gentoo site.

#3 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:04 PM

a fully automated bash script for installing gentoo from stage 1 on a dell inspiron 8200 (loving gnome and flux, and playa-hating KDE) will be comming up in a few weeks, until I hammer it out, enjoy this.

That would be sweet, I have been wanting to play with gentoo but the installs too needy to do it my way, would this be fully automated or would there still be guis involved? Seems to me if it is, all I would have to do is 'emerge emacspeak' and im up and running... that would rock.

#4 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:13 PM

Well, a few errors I noticed, it's "pentium4" not "pentium-4" :P

Also, if they really are using a pentium4, they probably have HT, which they will want to enable SMP, and also change MAKEOPTS to "-j3"

Oh, and the 2004.1 livecd is lame, use a good one, like 1.4, they actually work.

#5 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:18 PM

Oh, and the 2004.1 livecd is lame, use a good one, like 1.4, they actually work.

Amen. It was buggy from the beginning - eth1394, eepro100 - nothing worked right. I finished a stage 1 and promptly wiped it. I do love my 2004.0 though.

#6 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:43 PM

/me really has to get up to speed on gentoo. This looks like too much fun...

PF

#7 regicide666

regicide666

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:06 PM

I tried gentoo and got it up and running but had a few problems with some things and I did it quick without createing it for me . So I went back and tried again and totally fucked it up so I tried again with same horrible resullts. I decided that I am just to much of a linux newb to take advantage of gentoo so I am going to wait a little while before a 4th try.

#8 Pig Monkey

Pig Monkey

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:23 PM

Sometime last summer I used GLIS. That was in 1.4pre* (where * is a number I can't remember) days, so I don't know if it's still being maintained.

#9 RijilV

RijilV

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 03:44 AM

perhaps because I was running LFS before I switched to gentoo, I don't understand the gripe.

Gentoo has an easy install, well okay, in IMnsHO... and the install guide totally rocks out, very few distros have such complete documentation as that install guide. Compaired to installing Beehive Linux (google cache still exists, but not much else), gentoo totally takes the prize.

I hate acting old and crusty, but hey, screw the linux-for-everyone campain. who cares if everyone uses linux? who cares if anyone else every install linux? Does your existance depend that heavily on others you need them to make the same decisions you made to validate you?

and as for reinstalling gentoo, while I can't remember the exact date of my install, looks like early december of 2002. so you figure 18 months and everything works great....

in the end, I feel people should act grateful because of gentoo's easy install, the fact it works, and how much gentoo talkes the pain out of hand installing every application on your computer (downloading source, finding deps, etc). ah well...whatever I guess

#10 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:51 AM

*nods*

All of that is pretty much true, the install is good, I personally don't want to see some gui one click and your done kind of thing. It's not for everyone, learn it if you want. It shouldn't be dumbed down for you. In white_raven's case, I can see a reason for wanting some special install, but still don't think anything special should be made.

However, I would like to see how bland's script turns out, just to see :P

#11 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

look,

I don't have a "gripe," I simply have installed gentoo enough times (twice) to know what options I want, and simply picked them out of the install guide so that I could do them without having to read around options that I don't want.

I hate acting old and crusty, but hey, screw the linux-for-everyone campain. who cares if everyone uses linux? who cares if anyone else every install linux? Does your existance depend that heavily on others you need them to make the same decisions you made to validate you?

I shared my condensed documentation here, so fucking forgive me for trying to help. So if you could do me a favor and drop the pompous attitude I'd really appreciate it.

#12 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:50 AM

Gentoo's install is easy. The point of bland's post was to condense ~100 pages to ~1 that was useful to him, and hopefully to others. Period.

#13 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:49 PM

Gentoo's install is easy. The point of bland's post was to condense ~100 pages to ~1 that was useful to him, and hopefully to others. Period.

Remember; That is what hacking is all about.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!