• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Klipper

Klipper

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 04:17 PM

i have a bunch of nokia 3390's sitting arround my house not getting used, just collecting dust, and i saw one the other day and imagined how tight it would be to have it as a biege box. i have a few ideas of how to do this, but probable none that are valid enough.

it already has a full keypad, just gut most of it, and hook the keypad up to 7 crystals to produce the tones, and have the alligayor clips coming out of the bottom of the fone.

does anyone know of a software way to do this, so it could still have alot more functionality?

-g_virus

#2 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 09:07 PM

dude, since it's not a landline phone, it won't work. I mean, cell phones don't even get a dial tone. if you actually did some kind of mod, you would just end up using the cell's dialer with a real phone.... why?

#3 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:18 PM

and also it would need to be charged, just usless time to do that

#4 Klipper

Klipper

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:30 PM

dude, i basically only want to use the body and the buttons!

i would rip out pretty much everything except the place that the buttons do thier thing, and i would hook up the right crystals so that i would have a fone tone dialer, it already has a nice mic and spkr, i would have the aligator clip wires comming out of the bottom, so ther would be no need for the battery, unless you wanted to have led's on it to make it look cool.

so you could say "whats the point of *building* a beige box, and its pretty much the same thing.

i am not worried abvout wasting the fones, because they would be thrown away if it weren't for me.

#5 Klipper

Klipper

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:22 AM

i was thinking about it alot last night, and i determined it would work! the main "function" button would be used to pick up and hang up (or i could use the "function" button to pick up, and the "C" or cancel button to hang up, which ever is esiest), i could have the backlight flash when a call comes in and/or somehow make the speaker ring, the up and down buttons could be the volume control, each button on the number pad could be hooked up to 2 of 7 crystals.

could someone point me in the direction of some text files explaining how telefones work, and how to get it to ring and flash when a call comes in, a cordless fone guide would help with that.

#6 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:03 PM

just takes experimenting then man, work on it

#7 Klipper

Klipper

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:01 PM

yeah, im trying to get together with my friend who has the right tools, but his popularity is getting in the way!

#8 Cr45 Du57

Cr45 Du57

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:03 PM

double post....? ;)

#9 Klipper

Klipper

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:14 PM

no its not a double post, look @ the time stamp, 12 hour difference

its kinda funny, conscriptt keeps saying it wont work, no matter what i tell him!

Conscriptt: cell phones are transceivers, you can't use it with pots.
g virus1337: cell fones have buttons, mic and spkr
g virus1337: and i can use those with pots
g virus1337: i dont think u fully read or understood what was said in the topic
Conscriptt: you know nothing about cellular and are clueless.
g virus1337: no, its you who is clueless becuase u arent listening to a thing i am saying
g virus1337: this has nothing to do with celular
Conscriptt: what you know about cellular wouldn't fill a thimble kid.
g virus1337: i am using the fone for its parts
Conscriptt: my knowledge being far greater than yours i'm saying it wont work, but go ahead and be a moron and destroy the phone.
g virus1337: ok
g virus1337: will do :D
g virus1337: its not like the fone is worth anything eitherway
g virus1337: it would be sitting in a land fill right now if it wrn't for me
Conscriptt: it is if you had a clue and learned about cell phreaking
g virus1337: maybe i will some day soon, but i have a million other cheap ass lil fones like this one

hahahahaa! :lol:

EDIT @ 8:25pm pst: i just found out that conscriptt is tr0n! w0w, i now know from first hand experience that he really IS a n00b....and after 22 years in the scene (as tr0n describes himself) he is STILL a n00b!!!!

Edited by g_virus, 16 May 2004 - 10:28 PM.

#10 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:37 PM

so you could say "whats the point of *building* a beige box, and its pretty much the same thing.

no, the point of building a beige box is to have a cheap handset. the point of this projec t is sheerly cosmetic, so.....

#11 Klipper

Klipper

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:51 PM

well, yeah, i guess its cosmetic, but its also fun! and having a cheap handset, becuase all i need now is some wire and crystals and tools and i think a capacitor too.

#12 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:34 PM

what would be cool if your some mack daddy 1337 engeneer, make it so you could plug in the cord (with the gator clips) in the bottom. what im trying to say is it would be cool if you had a detachable cord so if you get in trouble the 5-0 think its a cell fone

#13 Klipper

Klipper

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

thank yu soo much for the idea spaz!
i just finished gutting the fone's mobo and i got it AALLL figured out, im taking pictures.
and then i will be writing a text on how to do it, it should be easitly adaptable to many other fones, and i hope that it will be improved apon by others more clever than myself, like adding a headset function, or a pulse dialing function (i would like to add this to my current model, but i dont know how!)

could someone tell me the frequencies of the crystals for each row and column? (except the a,b,c,d)

#14 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:53 PM

could someone tell me the frequencies of the crystals for each row and column? (except the a,b,c,d)

what, you mean the actual tones themselves? please please please tell me you've at least heard of http://www.google.com/

#15 av1d

av1d

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:02 AM

Each column doesn't have it's own crystal.
Phones typically have either one 3.58 MHz crystal, or 3.58 MHz ceramic resonator.

#16 Klipper

Klipper

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:51 AM

are you sure? :huh:
i was under the impression that each column and row had it's own frequencies, and when a 1 is pressed, the row 1 and column 1 crystals were played simultaniously.

i actually just found something useful on google :wacko:
http://www.commlinx....frequencies.htm

Edited by g_virus, 17 May 2004 - 08:54 AM.

#17 av1d

av1d

Hakker addict

• 508 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:14 PM

are you sure?  :huh:
i was under the impression that each column and row had it's own frequencies, and when a 1 is pressed, the row 1 and column 1 crystals were played simultaniously.

i actually just found something useful on google  :wacko:
http://www.commlinx....frequencies.htm

The frequencies from each column are generally obtained from an IC, which uses a 3.58 MHz colorburst crystal for it's clock.
The crystal is used only for the clock of the IC, the crystal itself doesn't generate the row & column frequencies.
The IC will either have each frequency on a seperate pin, or have one audio output and use different pins to activate those frequencies.

If your keypad is a WE 2500 style keypad then it just uses 2 VCO circuits to create the tones, without a crystal, but it still works in pretty much the same way.
The circuit still generates each row and column frequency seperately and then "blends" them together for the appropriate key.

Edited by av1d, 17 May 2004 - 03:26 PM.

#18 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:05 PM

when ever you want another "G" just ask me, ill come up with another half ass one :)

#19 Klipper

Klipper

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:48 PM

OY VEY!!

it sounds simple enough, i just dont know how to do it, or what IC i should use, if someone could give me this information i would greatly appreciate it.

i dont have any idea what the hell my keypad is (i think its "standard") and what is "WE"...western electric?

#20 av1d

av1d

Hakker addict

• 508 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:33 PM

OY VEY!!

it sounds simple enough, i just dont know how to do it, or what IC i should use, if someone could give me this information i would greatly appreciate it.

i dont have any idea what the hell my keypad is (i think its "standard") and what is "WE"...western electric?

Yea, WE is western electric.
http://www.bgmicro.com/pdf/ics5089.pdf
You can buy this chip from BG micro for a whopping $1.25.

You're also going to need a way to interface the circuit with your line,
and maybe an amplifier circuit for the microphone and earpiece, then a ring detection circuit...
You may be better off buying a kit, or one of those mini rat shack phones that have a handsfree headset and wire the circuit board inside your nokia, using the nokias keypad.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!