• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 09:58 PM

The web site has not been updated since Oct 2002. That was bad sign number 1. I had emailed the webmaster of the site about 3 weeks ago and never heard back. That was bad sign number 2.

My first 2600 meeting (and probably my last) was a complete no-show. Jinrai, Saitou and myself stayed for about an hour or so with my laptop out playing around. No one even remotely looked like they were there for a 2600 meeting.

Disappointing, but sadly, it was exactly what I expected.

#2 screamer

screamer

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 10:34 PM

My experience at my first, and probably last, 2600 meeting was exactly the same. Sure, we had Tom Icom there, but it was three 40+ year olds, one 30+ year old, and me...oh, and my best non-hacker friend. I guess you have to go to New York City for a true meeting.

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 12:31 AM

Even though I was prepared for this exact thing to happen, it was still disappointing. I hear all of the guys (and gals) from AZ having a great time and having good productive meetings and frankly having a lot of fun. I also hear Chicago area meetings having big turnouts and having Manny Goldstein (Can I call him Manny?) show up as a surprise guest. And yes, we all know that NY is the place to be, but it makes me worry that the hacker scene is not growing as we think. Perhaps, in fact, it is shrinking.

That is scary.

And I don't want to hear the comment about "start forming the meetings yourself and get it going". I like to think I do a lot to further the hacking community. I cannot stretch myself any thinner than I already have. If I could organize a local meeting, I would! I don't have the time, and I guess no one else does either.

In summary, I am not blaming anyone for the failure of the meeting. I am just pointing out how disappointing it was. That's all. That is why I have such joy and respect for the DDP and the friends and community that I have here online.

I love you guys! :wub:

#4 screamer

screamer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 01:07 AM

Well face facts, you're in a mall (or wherever), you have a couple radios, and a few people...what in the hell do you do? I think the idea of 2600 "meetings" all over the country is a nice way to give hackers a place to meet like-minded individuals, but aside from that, there's little else to them. You go, you sit, you say woopty doo we're here. I'd suggest having more "legitimate" meetings, something more Homebrew-ish if you know what I mean. Get a nice quiet auditorium, have speakers, and let people do whatever they want. There would be fewer locations, but if they were held three or four times a year, I'm sure people would show. But, *puffs a cigar* just a thought, I mean it's not within the realm of conventional cinema...but what if? *puff*

#5 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 02:00 AM

they have them...they are called conventions. But who has the money to go to them all? *shrug*

#6 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 07:01 AM

I propose a "DDP meeting" one the second friday of eevry month :) I'm not sure how this would work out for everyone else but it would be a second 2600 meeting here in AZ! And I feel sorry for the people who dont have local meetings :( I would still suggest at least checking it out every month to see if someone shows up. even if just showing up for 15 minutes. Also one of my friends here in AZ used to go to the meetings a long time ago and they got moved to gameworks(an arcade in the mall the meetings are at) and when he showed up no one was there, however they were about 50 feet away in the foodcourt. Cut to two years later he randomly googles on 2600 arizona and finds oldskoolphreak.com and the rest is history :) I am new to 2600 meetings and im fairly new to the whole technology stuff and would never put myself on the same level as you guys, you all know your shit, but I find the 2600 meetings to be fun as hell!@#

#7 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 813 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 08:09 AM

I just went to my first 2600 meeting this week too. It was Iowa's very first 2600 metting and about 25 people showed up. It went really well and we talked about a lot of stuff. Everybody is already looking forward to the next one.

#8 screamer

screamer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 02:26 PM

Give it a year :)

#9 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 04:04 PM

I hope it stays like that. And I wish mine would come back. Maybe I should do a hostile takeover and start pushing around here to get more interest. I just don't have time. :(

#10 M_from_S

M_from_S

elite

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:09 PM

I've only gone to six or so 2600 meetings and i can't say i'm all that impressed. Plenty of people in varied age ranges, about 20 to 30 total, but just complete disorganization. Just small groups of people not talking about technology or hacker issues but just asking what others have been up to and how is so and so, and creating crazy hacker scenarios (wi-fi hacking by model remote helicopter, with waypoints set up by GPS, and equipped with a yagi antenna, and why not throw in a digi-cam, etc.) that go on for much too long.

Although most people there are friendly and some interesting conversations and learning opportunites do present themselves and some swapping of laptops and computer help has happened i'd say not quite worth the time. For the three or mores hours i am there fifteen to 30 minutes of it are quality. I often think i could of learned more by just reading and trying a few things myself. I agree with screamer that it seems more of a place to "meet like minded people" and not much else goes down.

#11 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 08:28 PM

that meeting sounds pretty damn kool to me!

#12 Epiphany

Epiphany

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 08:21 PM

Contrary to popular belief the NYC2600 meeting aren’t all that either. I’ve been going to the meetings for about a year and a half now and although the first few meetings are an adrenaline rush (nearly on par with that of H2K2) however the rush soon fades. At a typical 2600 meeting everyone shows up around 6pm and for an hour it’s awesome, people talking about all sorts of thing, and in those 60 mins you’ll learn more than you could anywhere else.

However this is the downfall… at around 7ish people start to leave… they all go to a popluar Chinese Restaurant to eat. And from there the real good conversations cease to exist. Now back at the 2600 meeting the place is now empty with only a few people still lingering around.

Anyway my main complaint is that most of the people who attend the 2600 meetings aren’t willing to “DO” anything… they just hang out and talk. Instead of trying to make and create new things… they’re doing all the things other people are doing. There really is nothing big going on… no one is collaborating on projects… they all just talk… instead of trying to make a difference.. they just chill. I mean in AZ2600 they do small speeches and do projects but in NYC there is nilche going on. I think I may be the only one along with a few friends on mine in nyc that actually want to explore and learn.. and try new things. Maybe im ranting but that’s how I feel.

Oh yea one more thing everyone is constantly being harassed by the security guards if we don’t sit properly or plug on laptop in the floor outlets.

#13 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 12:41 AM

nothing wrong with just sittong and talking. I would enjoy that. I am sure the conversation is great and interesting and if it continued on to some restaurant, I would probably enjoy that as well. Food court food gets old after a while. But I understand what you are saying.

As far as projects, I keep that going with the DDP online. The meetings would be a place to talk about things, learn, kick around ideas, maybe some projects. I took some RFA stickers to my meetings (or lack of a meeting, I should say) along with my newest article to pass around. But when it comes to projects, I prefer to work with people here who I have formed strong relationships with.

#14 0ccupant

0ccupant

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 05:42 AM

Maybe its because were in an urban
area, but I have similar experiences
to M from S and Epiphany only I
enjoy our meetings. For those who
come early we often exchange
hardware. Hardly anyone will be
there at five, but by six there can be
up to thirty people (men and women,
young and old). For me that’s a lot
of conversation. It is disorganized,
but like a party. Most conversation
is talk tech. There are “how-do-you-
do’s” and some personal small talk,
but some people have been friends
here for a long time.

We do have the same problems with
security. They seem to go after the
younger guys. Maybe some of your
older members can intervene.

I like to devise solo projects, but if
someone wanted to work on a project
at a meeting or elsewhere, I’m there,
pal. I’ll bet people would do a project
if asked. See if anyone has a RC
helicopter. I often bring in projects
I’m working on and I always see other
people bring in theirs. Show and Tell
is fun.

Stank’s problem’s more serious. Having the numbers is important. Of course we’d love to have you here, Stank, but we may be quite a distance.

#15 latency

latency

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 07:48 AM

Screamer - did you ever go to any of the meetings back when A.Sleep was around and we had ct2600.org going on?

went to a few good meetings then - we moved them to a room at bridgeport univ. - the meetings I went to were a lot like a 'show and tell' - people would bring cool toys , home-made phreaking boxes, manuals, etc. and pass them around, explain them.

unfortunately a lot of group politics and bullshit, as well as a desire for a more central CT location screwed things up - in addition to the forming of NESIT and turning into 'a formal group that hosts a 2600 meeting'. I don't claim to know the whole story so I'll just leave it at that - but I haven't been to a meeting in over 2 years since all the NESIT junk started happening - but I still keep in touch with some of the people I met there as they were pretty cool - a couple of them run pcburn.com now.

unfortunately I never got to meet T.Icom - he went to those CT meetings further north :blush:

#16 screamer

screamer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 01:22 PM

I planned on attending the ones in Bridgeport, but after talking to several people in irc I was told most of the people there didn't even like 2600. Then one guy mentioned they really only gather to "recruit" people, whatever that means. I know I should have probably checked it out for myself, but judging from what I heard it didn't sound all too interesting.

#17 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 05:14 PM

Hmm not sure how you all feel about cons but I was curious if maybe those involved in DDP may be interested in Defcon.

#18 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 05:40 PM

we have been discussing that. I think we are all for sure meeting up at H2K4 (or whenever the next one is) but I would also enjoy trying defcon at least once. I just have to work out the cost and timing, but I am definately interested.

#19 Epiphany

Epiphany

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 07:24 PM

H2K4 would be awesome! B)

Anyway I enjoy talking and i do have fun at the 2600 meetings. I just wish people were a little more active.

#20 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 09:52 PM

yes, Epiphany actually volunteered to put us all up for the weekend for free! Free room and board! :lol:

Ok, well actually, he said he would show us around a little bit. We will have to cover room and board ourselves. :roll:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!