• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 12:15 PM

I am just running Linux for the first time in my life and i is not easy, i don't understand anything in Linux so i need a good instruction for newbies.
But where can i find it? :help:

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 01:48 PM

boy, that is a vague question.... Personally, I haven't used used mandrake, but I think that is one of bi0s favorites. He will probably be able to help you out.

#3 davetgra

davetgra

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:39 PM

I hust started playing around with linux myself. The tutorial that I have been going through is UNIX Tutorial: Absolute Beginner to Linux "Expert" in 10 Lessons .

#4 paracord

paracord

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 04:32 PM

Best advice that i can give you is to learn some basic principles and commands then start messing around as root
You'll most likely trash your system a few times but the mistakes will help out in the long run.

#5 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 05:51 PM

paracord gives some great advice. As you mess around, do a lot of 'man somecommand'. You'll learn a lot from reinstalling as well.

#6 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 06:45 PM

You can get some books, even if you only get one book, it cold help you very very much, even if its an older book, most of the console commands still apply, so that could be very useful.

#7 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 06:55 PM

Ok first thing you have to do is totally forget everything you learned about windows because it no longer applies :). Good now go here Free Linux Book. This is a great book on the subject and it's totally free to use. The author claims it is incomplete but it covers more than you will probably want to know on the subject.

I'm not sure specifically what you're having trouble with? I'm guessing probably the filesystem and installing (or upgrading) new software? At first it won't make much sense but later on you realize how logical most of it seems. You gotta keep in mind you are using an operating system that was assembled by some hardcore coders. The only documentation they need are in the /*comments*/ ;) . Just don't get frustrated and if possible stop using windows completely. This might suck at first but it'll force you to learn. Good Luck.

#8 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:19 PM

Ok thanks for the help :)

#9 JHVH-1

JHVH-1

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 01:41 PM

Its like they designed this site just for you: http://www.mandrakeuser.org

#10 Quasi_Mofo

Quasi_Mofo

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 05:07 PM

I am just running Linux for the first time in my life and i is not easy, i don't understand anything in Linux so i need a good instruction for newbies.
But where can i find it?  :help:

I was going to suggest you go to linuxnewbie.org. but I see they are now called JustLinux and have totally redone the site. I've found alot there (the old site) that has helped me in what little Linux I've played with. It looks as if just about all the stuff from LinuxNewbie is still there. It might be worth a look.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!