• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:04 PM

I am currently experimenting with knoppix, and I was wondering if you can write to a ntfs partition with it. I know you can read off of an ntfs partition, but I want to know if I can save for example a txt file after editing it. Thanks for any upcoming suggestions!

#2 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 05:22 PM

You could possibly try mount -n -o remount,rw / - however I dont know if it'll work. - Im sure someone else will be able to recommend a better command :)

#3 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 07:49 AM

Writing to NTFS from Linux isn't feasible right now. Make a FAT32 partition to talk between them.

#4 davetgra

davetgra

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:57 PM

found a little on the subject here and they say that NTFS access is still 'experimental' in version 3.1 so I'd recommend getting a USB flashdrive (what I ended up doing) or floppy (yes, people still use them occasionally).

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 03:30 PM

Or i figure I could run knoppix off the dvd drive and use a cd-rw in my writer, is this possible?

#6 kondor

kondor

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 11:57 PM

yes that is possible

#7 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:44 AM

A usp floppy IS possable as I have done it many many times on the lappy am currently using to post this.. it uses winhoXpPro when I dont have a knoppix cd in it slot, so the ntfs was a worry.. the floppy works great as /dev/sda though, just change your /etc/fstab to change the gui and uid to knoppix so you can work with it without trading blows with the defualts.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!