• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:47 PM

Check this out microsoft has changed the name for Palladium, it's "next generation computing platform" that will stop you from doing exactly what most ppl do with their computers (rip music and share files) and they changed it to (drumroll inserted here).....the "next-generation secure computing base", This was on the screensavers yesterday, what a drag, at least palladium was a (relatively) cool name, now we can't share files AND we have to live with a name bigger than billy gates' paycheck, this sucks.

http://www.techtv.co...3415744,00.html

#2 paracord

paracord

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:53 AM

now we can't share files

Mac, BSD, Linux ....
No "next-generation secure computing base" bullshit in the above

#3 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 06:08 AM

First of all, the "next-generation secure computing base" has nothing to do with security. Second, this issue goes beyond ripping music and sharing files. It has to do with the creation and sharing of information, ideas and personal works. It also has to do with control over the hardware that you rightfully purchase and the ability to do with it as you please.

#4 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:32 AM

Mac, BSD, Linux ....
No "next-generation secure computing base" bullshit in the above

of course but who can tell, what if hardware manufacturers integrate such a "security" system directly onto their chips, thus noone would be safe no matter what os they're using. Check out intel's LaGrande initiative, just like palladium, or should I call it the "next-generation secure computing base" it does all the stuff, well some of the stuff that palladium is supposed to do, they say that lagrande will be possible to be turned off, but who knows what they tell us now may not be exactly what happens in 2 years.

http://www.eweek.com...9,524889,00.asp

of course this article mentions "hackers" in the first sentence....geez how cliche

#5 paracord

paracord

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:19 AM

what if hardware manufacturers integrate such a "security" system directly onto their chips

Like dual said on a few episodes - start saving up your old hardware and software that will run on it. Cause most likely newer operating systems will force you to install on machines that are up to spec with the new "security" features.

#6 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:56 AM

Paracord you are totally right. I mean I'd rather be runnin a slower computer and doing what i want, then having a fast ass box just sittin there doin nothing.

#7 Access Excess

Access Excess

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:22 PM

maybe there is another chance for us: transmeta and via. since both intel and amd will implement this next generation bullshit chips on their processors we can buy transmeta and via cpus which are cheaper and we can run our unix operating systems on them just fine. take that corporate ass! :grr:

#8 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:37 PM

hey im all for transmeta, doesn't Linus Torvalds work for them?!?!

#9 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:10 PM

I've got a box with a Via chip and I'm uber-pleased.

#10 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:44 PM

Is it an upgrade chip by any chance, and what clock speed does it run at? And what os are you runnin on it?

#11 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:59 PM

Dual:
Using the mini-itx form factor and a C3 processor? Those things are slick.

#12 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 10:50 PM

It's a C3 733 runnin' Red Hat 7.3.

#13 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 11:43 PM

My question is filesharing is also a primary part of networking... are they now going to kill remote access.. cause that is a key point to file sharing.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!