• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 M_from_S

M_from_S

elite

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:31 PM

I told my friend that i'd update her system. I went out and bought her a new AOpen AX4B Pro-533 motherboard, ram and processor. The problem being that the old graphics card (a 16MB Monster Fusion AGP) card prevents the system from even powering up, and as soon as i swap in a newer card (64MB MSI 815 Pro AGP) the system powers on and works fine. A new graphics card has already been agreed upon but does anyone know why the older card doesn't even let the juice flow? It is a working card and as far as i know the same voltage.

I just want to know...

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:56 PM

in the bios there may be a setting for the AGP bus speed. Usually, it will be fine with detecting a lower speed card, but maybe you have to manually set it in th ebios to run at 1x or whatever the old card supports.

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:58 PM

Are you sure that the card is in working condition and/or taht it is the same voltage? Because there is nothing I can thinkof that could do this. Except maybe there just is something about the card that the motherboard doesn't like......

#4 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 07:48 PM

From what I've heard some newer boards only support 4x agp and above cards because of the voltage difference.

#5 GUEST_Unregistered_SourcePhreak_***

GUEST_Unregistered_SourcePhreak_***
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2003 - 09:05 PM

Feend is correct, the new AGP cards use a different voltage setting. However it's not just 4x, there are some 2x cards that work with 1.5v AGP slots. I downloaded the manual in pdf form for your motherboard and found that it contains a feature to protect your motherboard from burning out, basically it won't boot if you put in a card that requires a different voltage. (See Page 14.) Also if you want to know more about what type of AGP cards you can put in that puppy look at page 40.

-SourcePhreak

#6 M_from_S

M_from_S

elite

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 04:19 PM

Many thanks.

I did indeed read the manual, and recall the part on "AGP Protection Technology - With AGP Protection Technology implemented, this motherboard will autimatically detect the voltage of AGP card and prevent your chipsets from being burnt out."

I guess i just didn't interpret "prevent" as not powering on. I was hoping for some subroutine would start automatically that adjust the settings to correct for any variables and optimizes performance. I guess i watch too much Star Trek.

The card certainly works on the old system and on one of the bigger chips there is a sticker that reads "V1.21" which i assumed meant 1.21 volts. Then again, it could mean version 1.21. The manual for the Aopen motherboard says not to use cards with a 3.3 voltage. I tried to download the technical specifications for the graphics card from Sonic Blue but it is not available on their website, and the customer service line won't support it.

I'm going to assume that it is the wrong voltage card. And Aopen prevented my new rig from blowing up in a ball of fire. I'm off to Central Computer.

:ranaway:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!