February 20th from 7 to 9 PM at:

Gothic PC
421 N Main Street
Bristol, CT 06010-4924
Phone: (860) 589-5185
http://www.gothicpc.com

Our members' range from novice to expert and from amateur to
professional. CCUG welcomes all those interested in computing, be
they novices, intermediate or experienced users.

At most meetings, in addition to an interesting program, you'll get
a chance to ask questions and get help from other members who might
have had the same problem.

Interested?

Meetings are open to the public. Prospective new members
are encouraged to attend.

#62 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:14 PM

Why bother with a 2600 meeting? Well, let's see, do people in the users group talk about hacking, phreaking, social engineering, trashing, etc?

#63 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:44 PM

Why bother with a 2600 meeting? Well, let's see, do people in the users group talk about hacking, phreaking, social engineering, trashing, etc?

I know Ticom personally and I can say confidently "Yes".

#64 Curious George

Curious George

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:41 PM

I think I may just have to come check out your meeting Tom. It's been almost 2 years since I was trying to get this meeting set up. But I'm glad that someone was reading the old posts. Hope to see ya at the meeting. Later.

#65 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:14 AM

I haven't heard of anyone saying something interesting at a 2600 meeting since the early 1990s when it was found out that the NYSP BCI (that's New York State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation) was surveilling the NYC meeting. I also know for a fact that the DC and Philly meetings also received similar treatment. I even think we might have had an undercover-type at the Meriden meeting once. His face kinda blanched when I started using cop terms at him. LOL.

Talking about illegal activities in front of complete strangers whom you are not sure how trustworthy they are is a sure fire way to get busted. Just ask that kid in Southbury who decided that his laser printer was handy for making his own $100 bills.

You would be surprised who shows up at user group meetings... Especially in this state. Get to know some of the crusty old timers, get them to trust that you won't act stupid, and you never know what you might learn. There are some really old school hackers and phreaks whom go back to the early 1980s (and still do it), and won't go near a 2600 meeting. They will show up at user group meetings though. HINT: Don't use a handle, and don't go asking blatent questions until they get to know you.

Finally, 2600 is the ship's bilge of hack rags. Blacklisted 411 puts out a far better publication in my opinion and GBPPR zine is even better and free http://www.gbppr.org/. If you want to spend money, you're far better off subscribing to Circuit Cellar Ink and Dr. Dobbs Journal if you want to actualy learn something.

#66 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• 1,373 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:14 AM

Tom, have you actually read the new Blacklisted? It's a shell of its former self. Plus I don't trust Zachary Blackstone. I mean, in the latest Bl411 issue (the 2nd one since they restarted the mag) he claims that Bl411 is now the most widely distributed hacker mag. That's a pretty strong claim for a magazine that's only 2 issues strong.

#67 GUEST_nazareth_***

GUEST_nazareth_***
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:43 AM

I mean, in the latest Bl411 issue (the 2nd one since they restarted the mag) he claims that Bl411 is now the most widely distributed hacker mag.  That's a pretty strong claim for a magazine that's only 2 issues strong.

It doesn't matter how many issues deep a magazine is, all it takes is inking the write distribution deal. So your logic is wrong, but, is it true? who knows, easy to find out with a couple phone calls.

Edited by nazareth, 17 February 2005 - 04:44 AM.

#68 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• 1,373 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:01 AM

Well, let's see.. In their own magazine they admit that they're not carried by any large store chains nor do they publish their suscriber statistics. I hardly think that they recieved 70,000+ suscriptions after 1 issue.

#69 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:53 AM

Tom, have you actually read the new Blacklisted? It's a shell of its former self. Plus I don't trust Zachary Blackstone. I mean, in the latest Bl411 issue (the 2nd one since they restarted the mag) he claims that Bl411 is now the most widely distributed hacker mag. That's a pretty strong claim for a magazine that's only 2 issues strong.

I've seen the new Blacklisteds. I've also been reading 2600 since it first came out in 1984. I've written for 2600 since 1987; incidentally the same year they started having meetings at Citicorp Center. You want to see decline? Check out some copies of 2600 from its beginning to about the early 1990s. If you really want to see decline, compare some of the isssue of both current hacker rags to the old TAP magazine. I'm talking about the TAP that Ozzie (Cheshire Catalyst) used to edit.

And if you want to talk about magazine editors, I could go on for hours about Eric Corley, and why the quality people who used to help him out with articles and research don't assist him any more.

As far as distribution goes, Blacklisted does see less distribution on the East Coast than does 2600. I can assure you, however, from being involved in the publishing of a print 'zine, that it has to compare favorably to 2600; otherwise the distributor that handles Borders (where Blacklisted is sold) would not do business with them. The same applies to their bulk mailing permit.

#70 nugget

nugget

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:00 PM

When I go to college I'm gonna start a 2600 meeting up in Toledo OH, This fall if anyone lives around the Toledo area.

#71 Stang_Man

Stang_Man

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:37 PM

Why bother with a 2600 Meeting?

The Central Connecticut Users Group (CCUG) Meeting will be held on
February 20th from 7 to 9 PM at:

Gothic PC
421 N Main Street
Bristol, CT 06010-4924
Phone: (860) 589-5185
http://www.gothicpc.com

That is awesome!! I am originally from Plainville and I plan to hit up a meeting or two in the 2-3 weeks I'm back in town from college

Edited by Stang_Man, 17 February 2005 - 08:38 PM.

#72 lostbaka

lostbaka

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:40 AM

How far is bristol from stamford? It would be nice to go to something instate during the summer.

lostbaka/nemeh

#73 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:42 AM

For those of you who didn't show up last night, we had a damn good first meeting. About 25-30 people attended ranging from novices to advanced hobbyists in age from 15 to 50. Topics of discussion were varied, but included getting LINUX on laptops, VoIP and TiVO security, 802.11 networking, surplus electronics sources, and although not related to computing there were also some people talking about surplus military vehicles (I suppose that Pinzgauers may become the new hackmobile of choice among New England hackers.) One lucky person won a laptop computer at the meeting raffle, donated to the group by the owner of Gothic PC. Proceeds from the raffle go towards snacks and refreshments at the meeting. The new laptop owner's question about what OS to install prompted a spirited at times debate over Linux vs. BSD. He was provided with CDs of both, as well as phone numbers of group members who would be able to assist him once he made his decision on what to install. The Red Bull and Mountain Dew flowed freely, and from the comments I received, I don't think a single person didn't have a good time.

At this point it looks like the meetings will be every 3rd Sunday evening, so mark your calenders.

#74 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:36 AM

CCUG is talking with the owner of Gothic PC about opening up the shop again one Sunday evening for a meeting. In the meantime, I'm still interested in a local scene get-together. Friday nights are out of the question as I work second-shift, so I'm thinking either Saturday (preferably) or Sunday late afternoon/evening.

My personal preference is towards a chain called Panera Bread http://www.panerabread.com/. Food's good, prices are decent, they have free WiFi access, and don't mind if you hang out with a coffee or soda and surf for a bit. I'd be willing to drive 45 minutes to an hour from my location near Bristol. Panera Bread has locations throughout CT, including Meriden, North Haven, Enfield, Bristol, Newington, Canton, Manchester, and Waterford. Something in the middle of the state is probably the best bet.

Suggestions? Comments?

#75 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• 2,074 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:03 PM

I'm moving to Florida on the 31st, but if something can go down next weekend I am ninety-nine percent sure I can make it. It's my last weekend, something may come up. My affairs should all be in order by then though. Being in North New Milford/Gaylordsville, I would prefer Bristol, Canton or Meriden off the top of my head. I haven't lived here that long, but I think they are closest to me. Everything I have will be on a truck en route to FL, including my laptop and notes, but I'd go anyway just to hang out, learn something and shoot the proverbial shit...I'll be the guy taking notes on paper. :)

EDIT: I still have a few a few Ubuntu CD's...Not everyone would want them, but I won't pack those. I am sure someone will take one or two.

EDIT: For what its worth I just found out I will be busy next Saturday, and would only make a Sunday meeting.

Edited by Evolve, 21 May 2005 - 01:40 AM.

#76 lostbaka

lostbaka

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:51 AM

Any of the places near Milford or New Haven? I'm not too familiar with anything outside New Haven (at the most)

Lostbaka

#77 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:02 AM

Any of the places near Milford or New Haven?  I'm not too familiar with anything outside New Haven (at the most)

Lostbaka

View Post

Actually, there is a Panera Bread right off I-91 Exit 9 in North Haven. It's one of the top contenders for a meeting spot right now.

#78 lostbaka

lostbaka

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:39 PM

Any of the places near Milford or New Haven?  I'm not too familiar with anything outside New Haven (at the most)

Lostbaka

View Post

Actually, there is a Panera Bread right off I-91 Exit 9 in North Haven. It's one of the top contenders for a meeting spot right now.

View Post

I'm pretty sure I can make there if you do it. Weekends work well for me.
lostbaka

#79 Curious George

Curious George

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

We are going to be trying again to start a CT hacker & phreak meeting. Our first meeting will be on July 1st 2005 @ 7:30 PM

The location will be:
*Barnes & Noble
1599 S East Rd
Farmington, CT 06032
(860)678-9494*

You can get directions from your home at this link:
Barnes & Noble directions

We will be holding meetings on the first friday of every month from now on. If there are any changes, I will post them here. If you would like to join our yahoo group. please send an email here.

ct2600 yahoo group

Thanx a lot

c0d3m0nk33

#80 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:35 PM

The location is good, but why not make it on a Saturday so those of us who work second shift can attend?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!