Kevin Mitnick back on the internet today

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nick84

nick84

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 05:41 PM

"The infamous hacker celebrates his first day of Internet freedom with 'The Screen Savers.'"

http://www.techtv.co...3414409,00.html
http://www.rootsecure.net/

#2 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 06:10 PM

from the screensavers site they have a link to this comic:
http://www.geekcultu...chives/432.html
it's pretty funny, but not that funny....

#3 paracord

paracord

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 07:29 PM

That's great. (the news, not the comic)

#4 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 01:50 AM

Wonder how long it took for him to say "Its not like it use to be."

#5 latency

latency

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 07:25 AM

did anyone catch the screen savers episode?

I'd like to hear how it went!

#6 0ccupant

0ccupant

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 10:20 AM

Great clip. I'd like to see the rest of that show. Is Kevin wearing a H2K2 shirt?

Steve Wozniak stole the show. Very dynamic. This man is a part of history.

I like when Leo introduced John Markoff. Markoff is assigned to San Francisco where "Screensavers" is shot. Even so, I noticed that the New York Times article mentioning the end of Mitnick's internet prohibition was not written by Markoff. Seems NYT was a bit slow noticing that conflict of interest.

Emmanuel is filming the DVD version of Freedom Downtime. The new version is being funded by sales of the VHS version. Well worth buying both.

Mitnick and Emmanuel do an excellent follow up on this week's episode of "Off the Hook".

#7 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 10:31 AM

did anyone catch the screen savers episode?

I'd like to hear how it went!

TechTV now have a 10 minute clip online

mms://stream.techtv.com/windows/thescreensavers/2003/ss030121a_165_0.asf

#8 GUEST_Estêvão_***

GUEST_Estêvão_***
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2003 - 01:35 PM

The Joke is of a great bad taste... for sure...
WEll... Mitnick and Goldstein... I think we can expect really good thinks on H2K3 and even better things on 2600.
:ATTN:

#9 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 02:23 PM

Emmanuel is filming the DVD version of Freedom Downtime.  The new version is being funded by sales of the VHS version.  Well worth buying both.  

what do you mean "filming" ? You mean that they are simply making it on DVD now? Or are they going to film new material and edit the older version?

#10 0ccupant

0ccupant

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 08:34 PM

2600 is adding new footage to the Freedom Downtime DVD. The VHS version is already a fat 121 minutes and that version is different from the original release. The one problem with these versions is that it is a movie about Kevin Mitnick but Kevin isn't in it a lot.

Porkchop who edited Downtime said that the DVD would include multiple subtitles, nods to the 2600-MPAA connection and many other features. He is considering a deleted scenes selection that will include the full version of Metrocard scene. Other than that, any footage that was deemed film-worthy is already in the VHS version.

I'm glad I have the VHS version, because I'm interested in what they going to change and if they're going to remove anything to allow for the new footage. Freedom Downtime is a comedy documentary. Porkchop says the style was inspired by Michael Moore (Rodger and Me, Bowling for Columbine). But there is a more subtle technological humor. Look for joke is credits and warning for example. Having the VHS means I freeze it to find out what various computer monitors are displaying, a courier's nation-wide combination or the frequency my local drive-through is broadcasting and ... transmitting. I know you can do all this with the DVD as well, but the VHS version is here now and it supports filming additional footage for the DVD.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!