• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:22 PM

Does anyone know how/where to find MP3 or other music without the original lyrics? I have a couple of songs that I want to use for background music on some "projects" but I dont want the lyrics, I just want the beats and hooks.

Any ideas? Can the tracks be seperated in MP3 or other formats besides the original DAT?

#2 nick84

nick84

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 04:50 AM

Well its possibly to remove the voice track of an MP3 yourself.
A couple of programs can do this, some better than others.
(I think Cool Edit Pro can but its not free.)

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 09:22 AM

you probably know this already, but Im still gonna say it: there's plugins for winamp that do that, some better than others, I have never got one to work.....

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 01:14 PM

I did not know that at all. I will do some more searching... any names?

#5 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 01:58 PM

There is an activeX plugin for cakewalk pro audio that will let you remove the voice track from an mp3. I have used it be4 and it works. The second way you could do it would be to take the song in an audio editor and just find a couple of bars that dont have vocals over them and copy/paste them for as long as you need. If you need me to karaoke-ize some tracks for you just tell me what you need.

#6 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:29 PM

Stankdawg: I dont remember the exact name of it but analogx has a good plugin, or so ive heard, I've never tried it.

well, I've found the site:

http://www.analogx.c...io/vremover.htm

#7 Souljacker

Souljacker

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 10:27 PM

Well I have Cooledit 2000 and the vocal removing doesn't work to well, all it really does is make the lyrics really quiet and the music is all choppy :mumble:

#8 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 07:41 AM

How well it works also depends on the type of music - I can remember trying out something which completely removed the lyrics so you could not hear them at all.

Also if the music is relatively popular, you may be able to find it on Karaoke disks (GCD’s I think they are called) - which get master copies of songs before the vocals are added over the top.

#9 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 07:07 PM

yeah, they are kind of hit and miss sometimes because they rely on a standard. It is audio production 101 to only mix your vocal track evenly in both channels. The instruments get less than equal biling in the mix, which will give you a deeper mix because the vocals are coming out of both channels and the instruments are mixed unequally to sound more "live." What the vocal remover software does is to search the song for an equally mixed track, and replace it with silence. Some bands and music producers don't hold with the mixing standards for artistic or other reasons, so the best way to check a song to see if it will work properly is to mute your speakers alternately and see if the vocals still sound OK. The best example I can think of is "Possum Kingdom" by the toadies. If you listen to the left channel, you get an echo effect, and on the right channel you get the words, but they sound behind tempo because they need the echo effect to sound right.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!