#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 06:48 PM

!?# judge cracks down on vulgarities
Associated Press

HOWELL, Mich. - A judge is cracking down on people who write vulgarities on checks they use to pay traffic fines.

Judge John Pikkarainen sentenced one man to two days of community service for writing a vulgar insult on the memo line of a check. He charged someone else with contempt for similar prose. A hearing is set in that case for Jan. 14.

The chief judge of the 53rd District Court said the clerks who handle traffic fine payments shouldn't have to deal with obscene language.

"The issue as I see it is if someone came into the court and used that language in front of me it would be contemptuous," Pikkarainen told the Livingston County Daily Press & Argus for a story Wednesday.

Geoff Mann, 30, of Howell, spent his two community service days picking up trash at park-and-ride parking lots and volunteering at the Howell Humane Society.

The technical writer had sent Pikkarainen and the court a one-and-a-half-page apology letter, which he says was sincere. But he also says Pikkarainen abused his authority.

"I must say I would hesitate to write something so blunt on the check again, but I would definitely write something and choose my words carefully," Mann said.

He said his apology should have been enough to get the charge dismissed, and he thought the community service sentence was excessive.

"If what he was doing was trying to instill a little bit more respect for the court then he failed," Mann said.

#2 kleptic

kleptic

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, only in michigan. heh. A few years back some guy got sued for swearing in front of a women and a child after a canoe fell on his foot.

Apparently theres an old law in Michigan that says you can't swear in front of women and children.

Well fuckity fuck fuck.

#3 screamer

screamer

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 02:06 PM

http://www.freedomfo...ocumentID=15992

Apparently the law about swearing around women was shot down, but it's still illegal to swear near children. Can we assume plays/movies/books/etc are illegal in Michigan if they contain swearing? According to the article, any reasonable person knows what "profane" words are.

...Should we go by television censors? What if it's after 10pm? :blink:

#4 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 06:11 PM

I remember when colorado had the same laws, only it was anywhere in public - not just around women or children.

Boulder Colorado specifically, a judge had to write a cease and desist order to the cops for writing the profanity tickets because the court dockets were getting overloaded.

Never heard anything more on that though.

#5 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 08:30 PM

...but it's still illegal to swear near children.

what if they swear at me first? :blink: :grr:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!