• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Quasi_Mofo

Quasi_Mofo

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 10:12 PM

OK, this is too cool. I have my wi-fi card for less than 72 hours and I've already gotten someone to HAND me a password for a college network.

I'm on the website design committe for the local chapter of the graphic designers association that I'm a member of. We're working on a redesign of our website and we got together to discuss some problems with the course of our project. We always meet at one of the local colleges as one of our members is a coordinator there and books us rooms with projector screens and access to the school's T1 line. So, I cheerfully volunteered to bring my laptop for us to use to go over our beta site, hoping they would have a wireless network I could sniff out. Running MacStumbler I found out they did. So I casually asked the guy who works at the college, "Is there a wireless network I'd be able to use? My ethernet port has been acting flaky." I didn't want him to know that I knew there was a wi-fi network, and wanted to see what he would say. So, he says, "Sure, but I'll have to give you a password." And no, it wasn't 1234 but just as bad: nameofschool2003

I asked if it was his personal password, and he said no, its the one everyone in his department uses. Oy vey. If I were him, I would have asked to type the password in myself rather than give to someone esle. But hey, he offered it willingly.......So, I'm hoping to have time to stop by the school later this week to see if they change the password. Something tells me they probably won't, but who knows.

So, another nOOb question, since I haven't had any time to research much on the wi-fi thang: do protected wi-fi networks NOT require a userID, and just require a password? My home network uses an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station as the AP, and the WEP setup only requires a password. The network at the school tonight (vendor showed as 3Com) only required a passowrd. I would think that like, for example, using SSH or FTP where you need both a user ID and password that WEP would be he same. Would the lack of a user ID be something that makes WEP reletively easy to crack (from what little I've read that's the indication I get)? Just curious, as in all my experience dealing with computers and securing information, I have never come across a security system that requires only a password. But now that I think of it, my cable router only requires a password.....

*sigh* so much to learn, so little time........it makes my head all swooshy

#22 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 12:33 AM

It depends on how they are set up. At my univ, you authenticate once to access the internet...Period. So the password you are referring to is probably simple authentication through the router out to the internet. You would probably need a password to get to the internet from a wired system just the same as a wireless system. If they have a different 'hop' in between the WAP and the "outside acesss/internet router" you may be authenticating on it (the hop) instead of the internet router. But of course it depends on the setup.

#23 Quasi_Mofo

Quasi_Mofo

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 12:16 PM

It depends on how they are set up.  At my univ, you authenticate once to access the internet...Period.   So the password you are referring to is probably simple authentication through the router out to the internet.  You would probably need a password to get to the internet from a wired system just the same as a wireless system.  If they have a different 'hop' in between the WAP and the "outside acesss/internet router"  you may be authenticating on it (the hop) instead of the internet router.  But of course it depends on the setup.

Interesting. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get back over thre this week to explore around a bit. I'd aslo like to try and get onto their wired network and see if it's set up the same, but as you said, it depends on the setup.

#24 Quasi_Mofo

Quasi_Mofo

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 02:15 PM

OK, this is too cool. I have my wi-fi card for less than 72 hours and I've already gotten someone to HAND me a password for a college network.

[snip]

So, I'm hoping to have time to stop by the school later this week to see if they change the password. Something tells me they probably won't, but who knows.

I went back to the college this morning, and have to say I'm impressed. They changed the password. Go fig.

Next time we have a comittee meeting I'll have to see about trying the wired network. I think my Ethernet port will be "fixed" by then. ;)

#25 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 05:35 PM

I went back to the college this morning, and have to say I'm impressed. They changed the password. Go fig.

not necessarily... Were you at the same location? You could be authenticating off of a different WAP than the original one. Maybe each one has a different password.

If you were in the same placce, you are probably right. Although I am surprised at such a quick change. Usually, they seldom change the passwords.

#26 Quasi_Mofo

Quasi_Mofo

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:37 PM

Hmmm....I hadn't though of that. Today I didn't have time to go into the building, but just tried to get on from my car in the parking lot since I was in the area. But, I parked to as close as I could get to the room I was in on Monday night when I got on the first time. I'll hazard to guess I was only 75 feet or so from the room, as it's on the outside portion of that wing of the building right next to the parking lot....I could see inside the window from my car. But that might have been just far enough to put me on another WAP.

But if not, and they did change the PW, I guess I can't take it personally *sniff*
They just did the right thing......but DAMN them for doing the right thing! ;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!