• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 11:42 PM

So I was listening to the latest version of HackerNation after Rax's mention of it.

First of all, RAX has a GREAT RADIO VOICE! You sounded clear and enunciated your words well.

The show was great, but what really struck me was the ONSTAR commercial which was a supposed "true call" from a customer who locked her keys out of her car with her child inside. The onstar operator remotely sent a signel and opened her locks for her remotely! While it sounds like a great idea when used in that context, I couldnt help but wonder whether ONSTAR would also excercise that remore administration tool upon request of others.

Would they remotely unlock my car for someone upon request? A REPO man perhaps? What about police wanting to do an illegal search and seizure? Perhaps they could lock me IN my car (or try to) for some reason or another? Basically, I just wonder if there are any safeguards to protect consumers from such events. Probably not, since it seems that consumers do not have any rights anymore.

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 11:52 PM

We talked about the OnStar commercials on RFA, specifically the one where a man was in an accident and bleeding and OnStar saved him from dying a gory, excruciating death *fear*.

OnStar does require authentication from the caller to remotely unlock a vehicle. I believe the authentication is a four-digit number. I will verify.

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 11:54 PM

BTW, did that caller on the 12/28 show sound familiar? ;) *cough*

#4 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 10:27 AM

BTW, did that caller on the 12/28 show sound familiar? ;)  *cough*

:rockon:
Just listened to that 12/28 show, its amazing how different people sound, when their is / isnt a telephone line in between. I only got it as you kind of get to recognise how people talk! :blink:

#5 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 11:19 AM

Tom from Glendale *cough* is on the previous show also.

#6 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:13 PM

"Tom from Glendale" has been on a few times :) And I was also thinking that rax has one of the best radio voices i have ever heard LOL

#7 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:34 PM

Man i've been listening to the 28th show and have heard 2 different onstar adds so far. Both of them using fear. In one some lady locks her baby in the car and in the other she gets stung by a bee and is allergic to bee stings.

#8 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:45 PM

Hrmm, after reading my post it sounds a tad negative. Just wanted to say I love the show rax. Its gonna be one of my regular listens :)

#9 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:01 PM

Well after listening to all 4 shows so far, the one thing that strikes me is that I need to buy some toner cartridges…
That Maricopa thing can be found here: http://www.maricopa....celApplication/ but I couldn’t seem to get it working with some whois info I found.
Neat eBay trick, I usually wait until the last few seconds to bid, but hadn’t thought of checking out the other bidders. :)

#10 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 02:50 AM

Hehe, onstar makes me sick! Well the advertising anyway.

although they did make me think of a few things. I'm working on figuring a way out to use the ultra-tiny gps chips (that can go anywhere, no standardized place) the cell network and the car stereo to devise a user-run on-star like service that will tell you via the web where your car is at any given time, and if you wake up and your car is gone you can just call your car up and scream into the fone "turn the fuck around beotch" or something similarly appropriate. Also you'd have the advantage to just call the cops and say "um yeah, my car was stolen, it's heading south on I-10 at about the 213 mile marker, could you stop it arrest the assholes and bring me my car". All without some "big brother" corporation deciding when and how to use the features of the service.

Testing to see the feasability of it though.

#11 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 09:55 AM

hilarious idea, but the stumbling block may be the cost of the tracking equipment.

#12 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 11:29 AM

haha! Finally a use for those ultra small X10 wireless cameras......just to see the faces of the thieves when the stereo is forcibly taken over and they have no control and me yelling obsenities at them. That would truthfully be priceless.

But, seriously, I think it would be feasible, but not in any commercial sense of the word....it'll probably be more along the lines of car mp3 player's back about 3-4 years ago when all you could do was go online and look for mp3linux and get a cheap laptop. I dont know, I've got some ideas if it works out I'll share how i did it.

#13 rax

rax

Hacker Nation Radio Host

• 48 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 08:41 PM

You mean you don't want to buy a carmel, (excuse me, CARA MELL) sweater?

Just what the hell are they trying to sell in that one.

I hate that commercial. :/

#14 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:15 PM

Its a commercial for milkyway candy bars. I really doesn't make me want a milkyway. And i had to listen to it like 3 times to catch the milky way part because i was sitting there thinking "Why the !@#$ are they arguing over the pronunciation of caramel" I think thats the right way to spell it.

#15 rax

rax

Hacker Nation Radio Host

• 48 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:33 PM

Because they wan't you to remember it. It's the media doing what it does best to you, grabbing you by the
:yoink:

(blue ones!)

#16 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 10:09 PM

Well then i guess thier add worked perfectly ... I feel like such a sheep :blush:

#17 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 10:21 PM

HAHAHAHA just listened to the 1/03 show (was awesome rax) that has the onstar ad about the lady who is allergic to bees and got stung. I want to hear one like this:

Onstar operator: Hi this is Bob from the onstar center how can I help you?
Onstar customer: Help I'm stuck in my car surrounded by zombies! *muffled moans of "brains!" in the background*
Onstar operator: I'm sorry Ms. I haven't completed my zombie attack training yet.
Onstar customer: *screams as the zombies eat her*
zombie Onstar customer: BRAINS!
Onstar operator: Yes sir, there is a Van Halen renunion concert in progress 5 blocks north. Have a great day!

#18 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 01:59 AM

how about this one:

customer: Onstar, I am having an attack...can you give me directions to the nearest CRACKHOUSE?

heh-heh....

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!