• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 05:41 AM

I was perusing through the A.R.S. (Arizona Regulatory Statues) and came across a section within the Criminal code, specifically

13-3719. Obtaining wireless telecommunications services or wireless telecommunications devices fraudulently; manufacturing, distributing and selling unauthorized decoding devices; classification; definitions

I read through the entire thing, seems rather straightforward for most laws, it basically says that you are not allowed to use any device to gain unauthorized access to any radio, electronic, or telecommunications signal.

Anyone who's interested can go here to read the law in full.

[edit]
I'm not exactly sure when this law was put in, but by the wording I think it was designed to prevent listening or capturing cell phone/wireless telephone communications....but it does go so far as to including electronic signals in the law.
[/edit]

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 11:29 AM

I just read it and wardriving would still be legal, as the act is just the discovery of the existence of APs.

#3 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 02:00 PM

true dat,

I guess I just got worried - keep in mind I posted that at around 3am :) But with today's litigation tactics, I wouldn't hold my breath on that holding up though - someone will inevitably argue that by trying to recieve the ap's signal you're on thier network and use this law to hide behind. As stupid as that is.

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 02:28 PM

well, that is the grey area in wardriving. It is legal to locate the existance of AP which is why you see so many reports on the news with demos by some local security shmuck wardriving on camera. The legality line is crossed when you actually ACCESS the network you have discovered without permission.

Of course it can be argued (probably a lost argument, but an argument none-the-less) that an OPEN network is GRANTING ACCESS . But that can be debated for hours.

#5 latency

latency

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 09:53 AM

yeah - we can get into the whole
"still illegal to rob a house if they left the front door open" debate :roll:

although...it's not robbing - just peeking in and looking around - or using it for net access (the equivalent of walking in and watching tv?)

bad cxi! bad cxi!
no more analogies!

#6 nick84

nick84

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 10:17 AM

"still illegal to rob a house if they left the front door open" debate :roll:

cxi, you should listen to the latest OTH, emmanual talks about how it is in German or Holland or something.

#7 zerodata

zerodata

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 01:06 PM

Grrr goddamn it I am with screamer I HATE ANALOGIES

ROFLMAO

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!