• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ramsaso

ramsaso

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Since I did not realize that I've made a double post.... Please see below for my question.....

Edited by ramsaso, 18 August 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#2 ramsaso

ramsaso

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Recently, I've began dialing "0" for the local operator just so I could talk to them and to prove to my sister that operators still existed in the POTS line. Looking in the directory, I see that I can make a Person-to-Person call, a collect call, and bill the call to a third-number. However, being born in the middle of Generation Y (early 1980s to the early 2000s/ 'wiki'), i got confused about WHAT to say to them. I do know for a fact that they can connect me to a long distance operator such as IDC*. 

Being straight on, I am asking these questions....

1. Are operators still located in their specified Central Office? (EX: Since I am in the Sunset Exchange in SW Houston, are operators still within the building?)

2. Since I have not subscribed to a local toll and long distance provider, how can the operator connect me to the long distance operator if I haven't subscribed to call outside of my local calling area? (I know that "00" leads to the long distance service but I can't do that, can I...)

3. Who are the majority of users who require operators in this day and age?

I'm sorry if this isn't related to phreaking but I am just puzzled how operators can still function in today's world since my cell phone(pay-as-you-go...) doesn't display "OPER" or "OPERATOR" in the dialer yet my corded and cordless still has it on the keypad.

Here are some recordings of how operators do their things...

An operator can't collect call to my cell phone(NOTE: the number in uncensored because i'm too lazy to refill minutes....)Attached File  Operator can't collect call to cell phone.mp3   601.31KB   5 downloads

An operator trying to collect call home with my made-up name (I made the call in my office... thank god they still use AT&T service.)

Attached File  Operator collect calling home.mp3   1.99MB   13 downloads

The local operator connecting me to IDC Long Distance(NOTE: The IDC operator didn't sound pleased due to the fact that the number I wanted to collect call didn't accept it...)Attached File  Local Operator getting the long distance operator.mp3   1.07MB   14 downloads

Edited by ramsaso, 18 August 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#3 chronomex

chronomex

mad 1337

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Operators are typically centrally located in a phone company call center.

#4 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

Are operators still located in their specified Central Office? (EX: Since I am in the Sunset Exchange in SW Houston, are operators still within the building?)

Nope, they're all centralized to a bunch of locations. Qwest keeps some of their operators hidden away in Midvale, Utah. I think AT&T has some kind of operator center at least in Texas, so they might not be too far off from you. There is, however, a TOPS (or OSPS in some cases. Maybe even a GTD-5! It's not unheard of) tandem in each local calling area that handles operators, in LATA toll for ACTS phones, and other stuff. It's responsible for playing a branding recording before transferring you to one of the available operator centers, and if you ask an operator to connect you somewhere, originating that particular call for you. I don't know how it's done exactly, but after she releases from the call, you're effectively just dialing out from that local tandem.

Since I have not subscribed to a local toll and long distance provider, how can the operator connect me to the long distance operator if I haven't subscribed to call outside of my local calling area? (I know that "00" leads to the long distance service but I can't do that, can I...)

She'll probably ask you which company you want. It's effectively the same as asking her to dial 101-xxxx-0 for you.

Who are the majority of users who require operators in this day and age?

I can only speculate, but I was in ex-Bellsouth territory not too long ago. Effectively, it's still the same as being in Bellsouth territory for this sort of thing, since you're going to their old operator centers. Instead of saying "May I help you?", she asked what number she could dial for me. So my best guess would be there's either a lot of special people in the south, or that's pretty much their biggest source of callers in general.

I'm sorry if this isn't related to phreaking but I am just puzzled how operators can still function in today's world since my cell phone(pay-as-you-go...) doesn't display "OPER" or "OPERATOR" in the dialer yet my corded and cordless still has it on the keypad.

Probably the same way 555-1212 or x11 has always functioned; it's just one of those things you know, and expect to work everywhere.

NOTE: the number in uncensored because i'm too lazy to refill minutes....

This is just a personal taste - I know it's hard when you're fighting against low levels and really loud sidetone from your phone, but you might want to tell your noise reduction tool to reduce a little less noise, and see how it sounds.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 19 August 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#5 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Since I have not subscribed to a local toll and long distance provider, how can the operator connect me to the long distance operator if I haven't subscribed to call outside of my local calling area? (I know that "00" leads to the long distance service but I can't do that, can I...)

She'll probably ask you which company you want. It's effectively the same as asking her to dial 101-xxxx-0 for you.

Exactly.  Not subscribing to a long distance carrier is just that.  Dialing 1+ a LD number doesn't work because you have not selected the "default" carrier for those calls.  However, you can still make LD calls with any carrier you choose by dialing the 101-xxxx code or asking the operator to connect you.  You can usually have the phone company forbid any access to long distance on your line if that's what you want.

It's a common mistake to think that not subscribing to LD means you can't make LD calls.  Maybe that's the way they like it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!