• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Phreakman

Phreakman

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

I read a book last year called "Ghost in the wires" by Kevin Mitnick and he talked about calling into a switch and added a number and all kinds of good things. I just wanna know how do you call into a switch? When I call I hear tones noting like Kevin talked about. I can telnet into one or at least telnet into the username and password part and not log in. I also know my local switch is a dms-100/1ESS. Also how can I find my switches local number? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Phreakman, 05 August 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#2 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

Switch administration is usually done in two ways; by a serial terminal, or by telnet. It's allegedly somewhat common (or so I've heard) to find modems that head to some of those serial terminals and give you a login prompt, but finding them can be more of a chore then just your average scan. Those were the tones they were probably referring to, but there could always be some custom IVR set up for routine tasks or alarm monitoring. In any event, if you really want to do some "third party support" for a switch, a modem would probably be the easiest way to do it. Depending on the company, I'd be willing to bet the telnet server is either air gapped from everything but a small LAN in the building, or hooked up to a very closely watched VPN.

That actually brings me to another point. You can find text files occasionally telling you how to enter switch commands on the internet. Be that as it may, anything you happen to find in the real world will likely be very closely watched by both a NOC staff and the local techs, depending on the size of the company. You'll likely have to do quite a bit of homework on how to make things look routine, and be ready for a very angry phone company to show up at your doorstep with a bag of even angrier lawyers if you aren't careful.

EDIT: I'm a little confused. The DMS-100 and the 1ESS are two very different beasts. What kind of switch are you on?

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 05 August 2014 - 11:45 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!