• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 02:20 AM

I have been using winamp 2.8 for a long time and just ignore the update suggestions. today I decided to upgrade. well, actually the upgrade went fine and I guess the default product is ok, but I found it waaaaaay to feature packed. I know that sounds like a good thing, but I alwyas liked winamp because it was so compact and customizable. I could put it in a corner of one of my screens and not worry about it.

Suddenly, all of the SKINS are deformed shapes and fukked up screen hogs with the buttons so camoflagued into the skin that I dont know WTF to CLICK ANYMORE! They also added video support to this version and it reassociated every fukking thing with it! Damn, are they taking programming lessons from MICROSOFT? It has pretty much become a knock-off of Media Player.

I think the push was to make it more "skinnable" but that also fukks up everyone who has already made a custom skin! Sure, some still work, but they are not complete and look tacky. If I had spent the time to make a nice skin and then they abandon the format for another one, I would be pissed. Your cummunity supported you and you fukking screwed them. Don't act surprised if they screw you by leaving.

Winamp has become an overengineered piece of SHIT. I just want a small, simple MP3 player. Is that too fukking much to ask for?

Luckily, they still seem to have a link to the old version 2.x on the site. I think I will roll back to that one instead.

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 11:32 AM

And is it just me, or is it kinda funny that the DSP plug-in doesn't work with 3. Hang on to 2.81.

#3 GUEST_Guest_***

GUEST_Guest_***
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2002 - 01:13 PM

Suddenly, all of the SKINS are deformed shapes and fukked up screen hogs with the buttons so camoflagued into the skin that I dont know WTF to CLICK ANYMORE! They also added video support to this version and it reassociated every fukking thing with it! Damn, are they taking programming lessons from MICROSOFT?

Winamp is owned by AOL :roll:

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 02:25 PM

R U being serious? r they really 0wned by AOL? That would explain sooooo much...

#5 Turmoil

Turmoil

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 03:15 PM

"Digital Music Reaches Another Milestone As AOL's Winamp Celebrates 25 Million Registrations"

Winamp.com

It's just a random story off there site so it has no connection to the post, but is does say "AOL's Winamp" :blink:

Edit:"Its called WinAmp, and AOL owns it"

~Turm

#6 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 04:27 PM

Ok, well that settles that.

Any suggested alternatives?

#7 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 05:10 AM

well personally I liked 2.8. Sonique was another really cool mp3 player, but the reason I'm not using it now is because searching through large playlists was a bitch and a half.

On the mac I prefer vamp....if it's still around anymore, it's just a small window that displays the time and levels if you really want them there, otherwise everything is keyboard shortcut for just about anything, and from the file menus you can go through the playlist - although a large playlist would be a real bitch and a half - but vamp was mac only.

Well, winamp 2.8 was good enough for me, I upgraded to 3.0 which I'm kicking myself for now. And screw the fact that AOL OwNz it - so far they're keeping it free with no spyware/adware which are good things in todays free software market :) (read: free windows software market)

[edit] forgot to mention I never registered winamp, and considering who's collecting the info, I never will [\edit]

#8 zerodata

zerodata

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 11:32 AM

Shit I did not realise winamp/nullsoft was owned by aol you can get vamp for windows too not sure if it is the same app but it is not a small thing anymore got loads of weird features.............

http://www.imvamp.com/

#9 latency

latency

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 09:50 AM

yea - 3.x is so dissapointing
besides the bugginess - the skins are all fashion and little function - besides, like you said, the defualt one which looks like the old 2.x one!

3.x really sucks the llama's nuts

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!