• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hey.  My name is Saint.  I started a 20-40 member hackerspace in Helena MT.  We call ourselves Montana Ethical Hackers(MEH) and we've existed for four years.  We've upgraded from a basement with Christmas lights to our own 2642sqft of space.  We've doubled in space every year.  We have land-owner permission to erect a 26' tower on top of the largest hill in the middle of the city of Helena MT.  We're going to make "107.9 END OF THE DIAL-- Hacker Radio".  We live in an EXTREMELY conservative town...  uhm... and we have good fire insurance.  I should probably take out a crazy good life insurance policy while I'm at it.

As a hackerspace we want to do two things:  

1. Provide a workshop, equipment, and computer/Cisco lab for curious minds which are just coming understand their own sense of freedom.
  2. Teach.

As MEH, we want to focus specifically on two other challenges:

1. Encourage young "uber l33t h4x0rz" in the area to consider paths as computer security auditors instead of inmates or government puppets.  We don't want them to do something young and stupid and then get caught and prosecuted beyond what they've actually done.
  2. Restore the term "hacker" to mean someone that has a powerfully consuming desire to learn, create, and invent... particularly with technology.

The point is:  this will cost money.  Somewhere to the tune of $5k(if we do it freakishly cheap).  The biggest expense is currently the transmitter.  I figured I'd hit up the <strike>pirate</strike> underground radio community for any help.  We need an FM transmitter.  We can do anonymity.  If you have a spare antenna, we could use that as well.  You probably don't have an EAS... but we need one of those too.  We already have someone local who is going to donate a tower.  We just need some way to broadcast.

Let me know if you can help. 

If you would prefer anonymity, please send the package to

Montana Ethical Hackers

30 S. Ewing St.  Suite 200

Helena Mt, 59601

You can donate a Bit Coin or two at mthackers.com.  Contact me through email for even more anonymous donations.  Same username at gmail.  

I will, of course, post on this thread again if we receive an unexpected item for the radio station... or if we get enough funding to buy our own transmitter.  If I haven't posted, assume we don't have what we need.

#2 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Also!  We could use content!  Let me know of hacker radio that needs broadcasting!

#3 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

This is awesome! You guys might want to consider some sort of crowdfunding campaign to accept the donations, I've seen a few hackerspaces do that successfully in the past.

As for content, there's a lot of Binary Revolution Radio in the archives. Much of it is still relevant, and it's fun to re-listen to. Contact the HPR crowd about getting something set up to syndicate their content. The hacking community needs as many people fighting the media image of hackers as possible.

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

You have my permission to air old BRR episodes.

If you do any original shows/content, please record it and put it here or send it to me.  I would like to listen.  You may even stream it online 24/7 which might be cool.

Good luck with the project!

• saintmeh likes this

#5 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

I'm picking up the tower today :D

#6 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

We've made some "Fake Advertisement"  stuff like

"LOCKER LUBE!  Are you listening to this station as the only sound wafting through empty hallways of a forsaken high school?  Are you still trapped in your locker as you fellow academic peers enjoy biology?  THEN YOU NEED LOCKER LUBE!  Apply a thin coat of locker lube to the inside of your steel or plastic locker every Sunday night and a liberal amount to your arms each school morning!  Remember:  Being bullied is YOUR FAULT!"  

And other satire.

We're going to roll it into a daily segment called "False Advertising".  We'll prefix it with a definition of satire.

#7 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Update!   Someone within the past few days may or may not have attempted to donate bit coins to us.  I asked around the hackspace and none of our members know anything about a potential donation.  Perhaps they were scared off by the lack of anonymity of our bit coin transactions.  I have fixed that at the bottom of the page.  We don't accept Dark coin yet... but we do accept bitcoin.  We account for these records as if they were gift cards so we don't need to know exactly who bought them and when.

If you are in Helena and want to pay for membership, don't use the anonymous donation... because I won't be able to figure out who's paying for membership(dur).

#8 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

I'm super-excited to hear this is moving ahead for you guys! Any current plans for online streaming?

#9 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

We're ebaying the stuff that isn't doing us any good in order to get stuff that does do us good. 

I'm making a kickstarter video....  It's going slow.  I have 10  seconds so far >.>

I want the video to be about 75 seconds long.

The tower is sitting in our "spiral staircase of awkwardness"(it has a LOT of rope lights).  We will have a great view of the city. 

Cpt. Hook is helping us out, he's going to try to rally some finances or equipment from Interested hackers at DEF CON.

In the mean time:  Here's a cheesey pic for your lolz.

wapppi.jpg

And YES!  We intend to do an online stream of the station.  We were thinking of pretending that was a "stretch goal"... but who are we kidding; we're hackers we'd do it anyways. 

Edited by saintmeh, 04 August 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#10 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

We have a Kickstarter for the station!  It just went live a couple hours ago!  We have $10/$5000 pledged.  We don't need $5000 to make a crappy radio station, but we need at least that to make a decently professional one!  Look for us at DEF CON!  Cpt. Hook has been at every DEF CON since #3.  If you don't know him, talk to a ninja.  Find him.  Talk to him!  If we can get the money, we start broadcasting Nov 15th!

Inspired by StankDawg and HPR: I'm making everything CC for you guys!  I have a few great episodes --  funny and/or informative! 

Since we just went live, donate a buck or two to show people that we have the support we need to make this happen!

https://www.kickstar...fm-hacker-radio

#11 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

I sent the Hack a Day guys a tip about this project, hopefully you'll get linked!

#12 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

I sent the Hack a Day guys a tip about this project, hopefully you'll get linked!

Super Thanks!  :D  I'm surprised I forgot about them!

#13 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

Also sent something to Open Hardware Hub!

#14 saintmeh

saintmeh

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

So we didn't get the kickstarter.  But we're going to do it ANYWAY!  It will just take longer... and be more uncertain.  Right now I'm trying to trade advertising space for concrete.  I need concrete to fill this 7x7' hole that goes 4' deep!  

lazy Pic

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#15 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

Do you have to do a solid concrete pour or can you do rubble fill + concrete? Might want to call up the local concrete companies and let them know what you're doing, they might be able to send a few loads your way if someone cancels an order.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!