3 replies to this topic

#1 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

https://openwireless.org

I've been running an open AP at home since we moved here, mostly because I like having open wireless available while traveling. It sits on a separate interface on my router/firewall. Traffic to the public Internet is allowed through, but most traffic to my LAN interface is blocked. Only SSH and OpenVPN connections to the gateway on the LAN are permitted, so I don't worry about the security of my home LAN.

I do, however, have problems with bandwidth leaches. One of our neighbors, and recently his buddy that moved in with him, seem to think it's OK to stream movies and pirate shit over my wireless connection instead of buying their own service. I've been planning on installing a new, locked-down AP (old AP was B/G only anyway) and taking away the open AP because of these two.

I'm thinking about leaving the open AP up in addition to the new, locked-down, private AP, but applying some pretty severe use limits:

1. AP total traffic capped at some fraction of my reserve bandwidth capacity

2. Individual hosts bandwidth capped at something that makes the connection useless for streaming

3. Individual hosts transfer capped to prevent downloading large files

4. Some reasonable max connection life (I'd like to still allow VoIP calls, for instance)

Anyone else doing something like this? Have you had any problems because of it?

#2 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

well besides

"No way! Most wireless networks use only a small fraction of their capacity. Sharing capacity helps everyone, eliminates waste, and increases the efficiency of the network. And it has nothing to do with freeloaders—if you've ever been without Internet access and needed to check an email, you will remember how useful open networks can be in a pinch."

and your problem being that they are freeloading lol,

could try capping it at few different spots i guess, like just enough to stream like youtube. but would still be limiting speed for downloads, or like limit it to only enough for 720p, or 480 even, which is usually enough for most games, can check your email, voip all that. but would only be 100-300k instead of just torrenting at max.

#3 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, I'm probably going to do per-host limiting as well as limiting the AP's subnet's total bandwidth.

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

yeah should be able to get it to work pretty easily if connect thru the open just to test the speed(s)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!