Photo
- - - - -

Fun with Google Voice /Scanning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 burntkid

burntkid

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

I don't know if anybody has written up anything on this yet but I found great uses for google voice. I have an Asterisk PBX and have google voice numbers via Google Talk trunks and it works great for the most part. This allows for fully free calls and can be done anonymously!

Also if you are at a hotel, on the road etc. you can set it to call you when someone calls a certain number or you can go online and put the number into the webpage and it will call you and ring that number for you... So you are getting a free call from an hotel or a payphone etc.

The third and most important use I just found for google voice is scanning. Yo make an random account up on google voice enter a phone number it will ring, go online enter the number you would like to scan 212-555-0000 and it will ring your phone in a second. Once your done you hang up and cahnge the number 212-555-0001. This does too things. It keeps you anonymous because it is giving your google voice number and not the number you are dialing from. It even calls toll free!

One draw back is that it doesn't always work good for numbers that do not have supervision. I find that Gtalk has more of an issue with supervision than if you put your direct number in and have you call it but I am noticing a difference between calling from the PSTN network and google voice. So verify that google voice isn't throwing you off.

burntkid

#2 smpl

smpl

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

Google voice acts kind of odd. Often times it will ring forever when progress was sent. You often miss on a lot of goodies.

Set yourself up with an account on a wholesale sip provider, send whatever caller id your mind desires (which many wholesale providers seem to copy this to the ani too!), write some simple dialplan and a shell script to make call files each time you hang up the next call. If your sip device supports it, you can add an intercom header to Alert Info so you don't have to answer your phone each time! Super simple!!!

Many wholesale providers will allow you to call anywhere in the US for less than 1ยข/min and toll free for free.

Also good for international scanning. Scanning the UK is often fun, and usually very cheep too!

#3 burntkid

burntkid

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

I didn't know it was the progress message that they where not sending on a gtalk sip trunk. But I am talking about programming a ring to number versus using google as a sip trunk than you program the number on their webpage you want to call. I tested 99xx verizon number on both pstn and voip and got the same results. It is nice to have a sip provoder but it costs money and is not as amonymmous but you have the positive and caller id spoofing.

burntkid

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!