• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 qqqe5

qqqe5

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

A few years ago (ok, 10), my cousin showed me a neat pay phone trick: dialing 240-XXXX (where XXXX is the payphone's last four digits) and clicking the dial, then hanging up, will make the payphone call itself back. When you pick it up there's a steady tone.

I tried it on regular land lines and, sure enough, it worked the same way.

What kind of number is it?

#2 darkfiber

darkfiber

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:02 AM

They're called ringback numbers, it's probably either gone or they changed the number long ago.

#3 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

Ringback numbers (or any test number for that matter) were different in different areas, different phone companies, etc. Most are still out there, if you can find a pay phone to test them with! (good luck with that!)

#4 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

240 is a bit of an odd place for ringback. It could definitely still be on there, but what with area codes being filled up so quickly, most phone companies have moved them over to either 958 or 959. This is a program the switch runs though, so it more then likely is still someplace. Since it's indigenous to the switch you're on, what it can do, and where you can find it change from one town to the next.

On a DMS-100, the ringback program will also check your touchtones. Dialing 1234567890, *#, or possibly ABCD if you have a phone with those keys will give you two beeps if everything is okay, and one if it detects an error. Like you mentioned, you can flash for ringback. It'll give you a 480+620 hz tone to tell you to hang up.

A 5ESS is kind of the same deal. Flashing will give you a 480 hz tone and ring your phone. To check your touchtones, dial 1234567890, 4-12345689*0#, or 5-123A456B789C*0#D. Sometimes you'll see slight variations, though. For example, one switch I was on let you dial 2 to stop the dialtone (as opposed to keep it there as you dialed), and then dial 123456789*0#.

On an EWSD...well, I have no idea. Those things are weird. JmanA9 knows how their ringback works, though.

On a GTD-5, you'll get a bunch of short 480 hz beeps with lots of silence between them. Once you dial the code for ringback, I don't think it'll allow anything special, but hanging up will ring your phone back. Alternatively, a lot of these switches are fitted with a proctor test set. Technically, the GTD-5 isn't ringing you with this since it sets up a direct, metallic test path. Quite literally everything comes from the test set, even the power coming to your phone line.

#5 ramsaso

ramsaso

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

I don't follow in the 5ESS (my switching equipment). So after you dial the 7-digit ringback number (in my case, 958-XXXX), do you check your touchtones after flashing or after flashing and hanging up?

I just got involved in this stuff so....

EDIT: Here's a recording of that happening.

Attached Files

Edited by ramsaso, 20 April 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#6 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

The dialtone you're supposed to flash at will also listen for touchtones. Once you flash, it'll only react to you hanging up or flashing again.

#7 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

On an EWSD...well, I have no idea. Those things are weird. JmanA9 knows how their ringback works, though.

I have more questions about the EWSD ringback than I have answers.  I can explain to some extent how it works.

qqqe5, if you aren't sure what type of switch you have, you can go to this website and check.  One caveat: if you ported your landline number over to Comcast Digital Voice or anywhere else, the information Telcodata provides will not be correct.

#8 smpl

smpl

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

http://www.binrev.co...46241-ringback/

#9 ramsaso

ramsaso

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

If you want your phone to ring assuming you have call waiting, dial any number and then flash after your party answers. Works anywhere that still have landline service (unfortunately, cell phones can't do that.)

Has anyone thought of doing that?

EDIT: The procedure for this is as follows (again, assuming that you have call waiting and landline service from either ILEC or CLEC.)

1. Dial a number. (Example: Dial 713-6300222)

2. After the party answers (in this case, it answers after one ring), flash.

3. When you get dial tone again, hang up.

*RING*RING*RING*RING*

For clarification if one didn't know what I was talking about.

27 April 2014 @ 06:50 CDT/UTC-5

Edited by ramsaso, 27 April 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#10 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

It's call waiting related? That would explain why I haven't been able to do this with my Qwest 5ESS line. I thought it was just something that DMSes strictly did.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!