Photo
- - - - -

Coordinated Exchange Scanning Project

wardial wardialing exchange scanning scanning hand scanning war dialing war dial

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

I am coordinating a worldwide volunteer-based exchange scanning project. This ongoing project intends to catalog all telephone numbers in the world, one exchange at a time.

Volunteers are needed to manually hand-scan exchanges and input data into publicly-accessible spreadsheets. This is strictly a philanthropic endeavour, and all information acquired will be freely available to the general public, void of any advertisements or hindrances, on a permanent basis.

Volunteers are expected to:

• Call each telephone number within the assigned exchange
  • Accurately record detailed notes to the provided spreadsheet
  • Complete their exchange survey within one year of assignment
  • Obey all applicable laws

For maximum accessibility and compatibility, the Google Docs platform has been chosen for data entry and organization.  Because of this, all volunteers are required to have access to a Google Account.

To volunteer, please complete the volunteer exchange request form.  Volunteers may request any exchange not already assigned.  If you would like to volunteer, but are unable to place phone calls yourself, please contact me, as we have technology available that may make it possible to still contribute.

Spreadsheets available @ http://www.wardial.org/

Michael R. Wally, Coordinator

World Wide Wardial Project

Michael.R.Wally [at] gmail.com

https://plus.google.com/+MichaelWally/

Edited by Michael R. Wally, 27 April 2014 - 02:01 AM.

#2 Bakb0ne

Bakb0ne

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

I've got 1-800-203-xxxx.

Finally a reason to stop lurking on these forums!

This is a great idea, bringing back the days of handscanning

but in an highly-organised group based project!

Even though I'm UK based, I will stick with the US Tollfree numbers

for now as I can call USA direct on my landline plan, but Im

interested in starting an English section once ive finished

my first allocation.

I don't have much time on my hands right now, so starting tommorow

I should be able to manage around 50 numbers per day, making the

whole allocation take around 7 months.

I suggest anyone else reading this gets involved,

I want to know whats out there!

:clap:

Check out my progress @ https://docs.google....SUrI/edit#gid=0

#3 ramsaso

ramsaso

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Instead of recording notes (for me anyway... I hate remembering things), can one record the audio and the notes? That way, it would serve as evidence that I heard what I described... (ex. if i were to dial 959-XXXX in a switch that supported ringback, I would record it and post it on a coordinated website so that people wouldn't think that I'm lying.)

PS: I've had that happen before.

#4 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

can one record the audio and the notes?

The legalities start to get tricky when audio recording comes into play.  Also, there are literally billions upon billions of phone numbers in the world, and audio recordings can get out-of-hand quickly.

Ultimately, how the volunteers choose to run their scans is really up to them, but I feel that this project is best kept as simple as possible. Most hand-scans of yesteryear were simply short descriptions of what was found for each number, with additional notes where necessary.  I feel it is probably best to emulate this method, a tried-and-true tradition.

The spreadsheets are setup in such a way as to allow comments from anyone, but edits from assigned people only.  I suspect that this comments feature will be very helpful for this project.  Should the behavior of a phone number change, commenters can make note of it, but only the assigned volunteer can actually change the main sheet: this should make vandalism and other unruly behavior easier to handle.

If volunteers choose to record call audio, this is something I cannot control.  However, because of the complex legal implications this raises, this is something I cannot endorse.

If this project gathers as much support as I hope it will, we need to take extra special care to do things completely legally, lest we ire those with the ability to shut us down.

Please request an exchange assignment.  The more people who jump in at the beginning, the more legitimize this project will appear for those who consider joining later.

Edited by Michael R. Wally, 27 April 2014 - 02:03 AM.

#5 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

Would you be open to text files with scans of hundred blocks in them? Mostly pretty recent, but I'll let you know when they were made.

#6 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

not sure if/when i would have some time to do a 10,000 block 

but i have a suggestion.. 

i would recommend people mention what type of line or provider they used for the calls, as it MIGHT have an effect on how the calls are routed, such as google voice will play a false ring if the call does not supe... 

#7 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Would you be open to text files with scans of hundred blocks in them? Mostly pretty recent, but I'll let you know when they were made.

I can create the spreadsheets and provide write access to them, but someone else would need to actually input the data.

#8 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

not sure if/when i would have some time to do a 10,000 block 

We'll take any help we can get.  What exchange would you like?

#9 ramsaso

ramsaso

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

New exchange available: 713-278

PLEASE comment so that i will add it to the spreadsheet when I can devote my time to updating the spreadsheet.

EDIT:

Describe what service you have used to dial any of the blocks in the 713-278 prefix.

(EX: I used my landline| I used Skype/Google Voice| I used my cell phone)

Wireline                              VoIP                                Wireless

Note for wireless users: if you have a phone capable of calling over WiFi, I HIGHLY suggest you use that because...

1. You can 7-digit dial in your area code where 10-digit dialing is enforced

2. Less chance of interference (I live in Houston but the cell signal here sucks as hell)

3. More clarity of the call progression

Edited by ramsaso, 21 April 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#10 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

Awesome project! Before it gets too big to be convenient to migrate: are you guys interested in a DB-backed web interface? This could allow call log uploads from formatted textfiles (CSV, fixed width field, et c.), spreadsheets, whatever. It could then be exported to a Google Docs spreadsheet, or a frontend could be built to query/display the information. I can help if it's of interest.

#11 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Awesome project! Before it gets too big to be convenient to migrate: are you guys interested in a DB-backed web interface? This could allow call log uploads from formatted textfiles (CSV, fixed width field, et c.), spreadsheets, whatever. It could then be exported to a Google Docs spreadsheet, or a frontend could be built to query/display the information. I can help if it's of interest.

I thought about this very thing for a long time before I announced this project.  I've been planning this forever -- since the late 90's -- but the needed technology, to do it right, was never (practically) available until recently.

The most-recent plan was the aforementioned database-backed site, where volunteers would enter the information into the SQL database directly (using the editor of their choice.)  The site would then use a simple set of scripts to display this information, in friendly concise rows, on the site.  Export functions would exist (to CSV and others.)  This would allow integration into various other projects, and a public API would eventually be developed.

After much back-and-forth indecision, I ultimately concluded that I need not reinvent the wheel.  Google Docs has a fantastic, robust set of tools that run on pretty much anything.  I decided to just make the entire project an organized set of spreadsheets, and invite people to contribute directly using Docs.  Because Docs supports fine-grained user-access-controls, live multi-person collaboration, anonymous comments, multi-format exporting, exhaustive revision history, and everything else, it is vastly superior to anything I could hope to ever write.  Plus, the spreadsheets display beautifully across any device, are fully searchable & sort-able, and just plain work.

As Docs evolves, everything will just continue to work.  By using the Google Cloud, we will never face any scaling or compatibility issues.  Continuing to support a (hopefully) vast database, as technology advances in ways we have yet to imagine, is just not something I'm interested in doing manually, especially when Google has it all taken care of already.

Plus, Docs is free.  (That always helps too)

Glitch, which exchange would you like to adopt?

#12 darkfiber

darkfiber

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like fun, i'll take a block to scan too.

#13 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

if you wouldnt mind a hand scan i did with a net10 phone about a year and a half ago or so i have a bunch of 99xx scans have to find the book... otherwise the other day i saw everything was toll free... would prefer something that wouldn't trap my ANI... 

#14 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

would prefer something that wouldn't trap my ANI... 

Choose ANY exchange, worldwide.  Just let me know what you want. and I will set it up.

Edited by Michael R. Wally, 27 April 2014 - 02:04 AM.

#15 smpl

smpl

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

Pick up an account with www.flowroute.com or www.bulkvs.com for this and set up asterisk to autodial your phone with each number, you can listen and take notes, and then when you hang up have asterisk give you the next number. Especially easy if you have a sip device that supports intercom, really automates the process.

Also: if you set your caller id to anonymous with either of these providers, no ani will be sent.

#16 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

isnt there potential to lose some goodies without sending ANI?

I know the testcall.com number 804-222-1111 will hang up on you if you do not send caller ID, but has a lot of cool test features (caller ID read back, DTMF test, echo test) if you send CID

i work for a VoIP provider, so have access to cisco and polycom phones, and SPA (linksys/cisco) ATA devices - would prefer not to use my employers VoIP service for personal use.. 

still haven't got around to setting up an asterisk box yet.. eventually.. 

#17 smpl

smpl

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

isnt there potential to lose some goodies without sending ANI?

I know the testcall.com number 804-222-1111 will hang up on you if you do not send caller ID, but has a lot of cool test features (caller ID read back, DTMF test, echo test) if you send CID

i work for a VoIP provider, so have access to cisco and polycom phones, and SPA (linksys/cisco) ATA devices - would prefer not to use my employers VoIP service for personal use.. 

still haven't got around to setting up an asterisk box yet.. eventually.. 

You do miss out on some goodies when you don't send ani, however, an easy way to fix this is to send a disconnected number as your ani.

Set up an asterisk box.

#18 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

Mister Wally, can you create entries for 405-297, 405-222, and 906-524?

Anyway, if you have some extra calling card minutes to burn, one nice thing you can do with some telcos is use a call identification service with call forwarding to spoof. Some of the call identification IVRs (Qwest will provision this feature on pretty much all new lines that have their big features) will let you manually enter a number you're calling from, but the switch will do a pretty good job of letting the called party in on what you're doing; it'll make the call come in with double ring, and instead of CNAM, they'll get a * next to the area of the number you entered.

Call forwarding, however, is a beautiful thing; when you use it with this self-identifying option, it'll erase all the fields needed to tell the subscriber you're spoofing the call. For normal calls, things are a little different from vanilla Asterisk spoofing;

* The switch will transmit ISUP data to the distant end announcing that your call was forwarded, what kind of forwarding you used, and what number it was forwarded from. GSM subscribers and anything that uses q.931 (BRI, PRI) will see that your call was forwarded, but it'll otherwise appear pretty normal to people.

* Since you're forwarding, only your CPN is changed

* There's some other weird data that's different from normal spoofing. I vaguely remember it indicated that the number you're calling from is network provided instead of user provided or something like that. Normally this doesn't matter, but some voicemail systems will make sure to prompt you for a password if your number is user provided.

None of this matters with a calling card, since they pretty much all overwrite these fields with their own data, and with only a few exceptions, derive both ANI fields from your CPN.

Anyway, I'm sure absolutely 0% of anybody is going to care, but I thought I might point it out :) .

#19 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

can you create entries for 405-297, 405-222, and 906-524?

I've added the three exchanges:

These are now in the public directory available at http://wardial.org/

Please PM or email me with the google account you would like me to provide edit-access to.  Be sure to register a new account in an alias if you do not want your name attached to the project.

Michael.R.Wally [at] gmail.com

#20 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

would prefer something that wouldn't trap my ANI... 

I'm going to be working on a free anonymizer service that will allow people to call toll-free numbers with a randomly-assigned caller-id value.  This should help with people who are concerned about callbacks or other blowback from this project.

UPDATE:   I've setup a toll-free anonymizer service.  See this thread for more information.

Also, I setup a simple form for volunteers to complete.  From now on, anyone can just fill out the form to request an exchange.

Volunteer Exchange Request Form

Edited by Michael R. Wally, 27 April 2014 - 08:44 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!