#1 Tactical

Tactical

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hey Binrev, 

Long time. 

Anyway, I am in grad school for chemistry and a program we use to interpret and manipulate NMR data called VNMRj  is exclusive to unix systems. I could really really use this program but am using Windows 8 currently and don't particular want to run a MAC emulator ( I would just dual boot first I think) but was wondering if anyone knew if there was way to set this program (maybe in a virtual environment using the emulator?) up to run on my windows machine. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

OS X server can be virtualized and still stay within the EULA...think you're supposed to be running the host on Apple hardware, though I'm sure there's ways around that.

#3 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Just looking at what it does, it looks like a beefy program. Emulatation is out of the question. 

Virtualization, maybe.....  They are pretty tight on any details without contacting a sales person. So I'm guessing the software costs 5K or more. But reading over the technical support docs, it looks like Workstation class software. Meaning Quadro video cards, Xeon CPU's etc.... Virtualization would be very impractical for to run something that beefy.

#4 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Happy V-Day!

My question to you is, why do you need to use OSX? Virtualizing OSX or emulating Mac hardware is just a big ole pain in ye olde arse, and then you're not even guaranteed everything will work properly. The program runs on Unix based systems. Linux is Unix based, and from reading the FAQ, it appears that the software runs in Red Hat, meaning it will run in the free version of Red Hat, CentOS.

My advice to you would be to forget that OSX exists, download VirtualBox in Windows, install CentOS as a virtual machine, and run the software through that. If that doesn't work out, dual boot CentOS.

#5 Tactical

Tactical

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I talked to our NMR guy and and he suggested a free windows alternative to try before going through other trouble so I am going to go that route. However, he did say that the virtual centos box should work in theory (turns out our machines are running CentOS boxes with this program). If I don't enjoy the alternative I will run the virtual box and hopefully it will be quick enough to be worth it without dual booting. 

Tekio: Yeah, they really want a beefy video card and some serious cpu power but only for the higher dimensional experiments you can run. I deal mainly in 1D and              then only in simple data manipulation (our main instruments handle the major calcs before I get the data). Hopefully the minor use I need on a day to day                   basis would be doable with virtulization.

TheFunk: Happy V-Day to you too.

The OsX thought was because alot of people around here are rocking it and I thought there was more reason to it than "well, it came with the computer". 

Thanks for the advice guys,  if I end up attempting the virtual box (may do it anyway so there is precedence later, guess we'll see how the weekend goes) I'll post on how it worked. 

#6 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

OS X is sometimes seen as a UNIX system in a box, ready to go. Unfortunately, if you're not already running with their hardware, it's not so "out of the box."

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!