• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Does anybody know anything  about Taiwan's network? The reason I ask is there's a fax number I found on a UIFN that sounds like it not only gets service from a non-digital switch, there's some kind of non-digital tandeming operation going on as well.

Give it a call if you'd like; +800-9999-1234

It's worth noting that with some carriers (usually AT&T), you'll go through some kind of non-digital UIFN route to places like Germany. This looks to be different; all three UIFN carriers (Sprint, MCI, AT&T) will send you through this tandem.

#2 phonetrovert

phonetrovert

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

+800 99099099  

+800 00000852  

Both of these numbers seem to have alot of clicks and noises as well, when compared to some other countries Ive called. (clicks within tones, and on connecting and disconnecting)

+800 00112345   If you listen to the reorder on this number theres a clicking noise following each tone.

P.S: It just hit me that I remember hearing a busy signal like the reorder you get from 00112345 on my landline as a kid, and being hypnotized by the repetition of the small clicks after the reorder/busy tone. I never really gave it much thought at the time, but all the sounds on the phone network did seem to have more character back then. (I thought today, I might have imagined everything, but the clicks are pronounced)

There's a clunk sound and a quick millisecond window of some voice/someone else's line and then it drops to my local reorder.

I also *think* Im hearing faint crosstalk after the reorder tone stops and the line is silent for a minute or so..but Im only listening very closely on a cordless so I really cant tell for sure.

Edited by phonetrovert, 16 June 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#3 scratchytcarrier

scratchytcarrier

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

There's a clunk sound and a quick millisecond window of some voice/someone else's line and then it drops to my local reorder.

I also *think* Im hearing faint crosstalk after the reorder tone stops and the line is silent for a minute or so..but I'm only listening very closely on a cordless so I really cant tell for sure.

Especialy in the former case, it *could* be interference from a strong local AM transmitter. My mother lives about a mile and a half from the KKOV/KPAM yard (50000W day) and you hear a burst of KKOV on her Panasonic cordless when the trunk resets. Just a very wild guess.

#4 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

P.S: It just hit me that I remember hearing a busy signal like the reorder you get from 00112345 on my landline as a kid, and being hypnotized by the repetition of the small clicks after the reorder/busy tone. I never really gave it much thought at the time, but all the sounds on the phone network did seem to have more character back then. (I thought today, I might have imagined everything, but the clicks are pronounced)

Nice find :) . You're definitely not imagining it, I heard it too. Occasionally DMS-x00s will give a pinch of an announcement before they send you to one, but I've never heard it like that where something disconnects with a blip of voice.

+800 99099099  

+800 00000852  

Both of these numbers seem to have alot of clicks and noises as well, when compared to some other countries Ive called. (clicks within tones, and on connecting and disconnecting)

Keep in mind that AT&T has that crazy route they use for some international traffic. There's still a few subtle clicks, but it's quite a bit quieter on Sprint and MCI. In any case though, it definitely makes me wonder exactly what's going on in Taiwan.

#5 phonetrovert

phonetrovert

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

I also *think* Im hearing faint crosstalk after the reorder tone stops and the line is silent for a minute or so..but I'm only listening very closely on a cordless so I really cant tell for sure.

Especialy in the former case, it *could* be interference from a strong local AM transmitter. My mother lives about a mile and a half from the KKOV/KPAM yard (50000W day) and you hear a burst of KKOV on her Panasonic cordless when the trunk resets. Just a very wild guess.

Regarding the latter case, I would say you could very well be right.

Regarding the former case (quick millisecond of voice from announcement or someone else's line), I was mistaken, While there is a clunk that happens when Im switched back to my local reorder, the soft click that happens after this brief switchover to a tiny segment of an announcement, preceeds the minute or so of silence so it's definitely something on the switch in taiwan. (Check 1:32 of the recording to see what Im referring to)

Check 1:02 for reorder clicks happening twice within one tone. 

BTW the recording is 00112345

Attached Files

Edited by phonetrovert, 17 June 2015 - 11:51 AM.

#6 phonetrovert

phonetrovert

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:08 PM

Nice find :) . You're definitely not imagining it, I heard it too. Occasionally DMS-x00s will give a pinch of an announcement before they send you to one, but I've never heard it like that where something disconnects with a blip of voice.

+800 99099099  

+800 00000852  

Keep in mind that AT&T has that crazy route they use for some international traffic. There's still a few subtle clicks, but it's quite a bit quieter on Sprint and MCI. In any case though, it definitely makes me wonder exactly what's going on in Taiwan.

That 360 number you gave me opened up the whole world for me to exploration, literally. I really love some of the error messages I've found in taiwan from Chunghwa. I wonder what kinds of switches are in use there, And what kind of machines generate their tones?

BTW is that hum on the 4ess due to T-Carrier? Calls on the 027T AT&T 4ess sound kind of like https://youtu.be/QFg...7Toy64?t=9m20s 

Edited by phonetrovert, 17 June 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#7 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:31 AM

That 360 number you gave me opened up the whole world for me to exploration, literally. I really love some of the error messages I've found in taiwan from Chunghwa.

Not to mention some of the Engrish. There is not the number you're calling :D .

I wonder what kinds of switches are in use there

I'm assuming there's at least some Alcatel S12s or E10s in there; China kinda likes them. Some of the more analog sounding exchanges could be Philips PRX-As. I have no idea what they sound like, but supposedly there's quite a few of them still out there. One of the Taiwanese phone companies apparently bought some 4Es way back, they could also still be in service.

BTW is that hum on the 4ess due to T-Carrier?

Nope, that's just the announcement machine doing it's thing. There's some with really clean sounding announcements out there.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!