• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vindy

vindy

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hi everyone. Just thought I would share something with you guys. A couple of months ago I bought a wireless webcam online and finally got around to opening the box and reading the instructions a few weeks ago and I come across this:

Click on the link to see an image I scanned of the page in the instruction booklet that got my attention (I had to make the image large to see all the text and it's too big to post directly on the forum). Take a close look at the list to the left with an example showing how to select your wifi router. The second router on the list is named "You_Little_Fucker". I'm guessing what happened is whoever did the instructions forgot he had a rather inappropriately named router there and a lot of instructions were printed before they noticed the bad language, and decided not to pay the money it would take to print off new instructions. This is a popular product being sold on sites like Amazon and eBay. I googled it to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing and posted something about it online and came up with nothing. Maybe the mistake was corrected at some point and I just happened to buy one of the ones that made it all the way to market with the curse word. I don't know, but needless to say it made me laugh.

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Heh, good find! There's quite a bit of ESSID trolling in our neighborhood, I guess you never know if someone is generating documentation based on your network names.

#3 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

"ChinaNet-tQGc". All kinds of stuff like that happens with Chinese companies - TP-Link is a Chinese company.

At work we get USB flash drives, to distribute our software on, directly from the Chinese manufacturer that produces them. We have a special computer not hooked to the network just for formatting them. Every 1 of about 100 will contain some nasty malware preinstalled for us. 

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

Every 1 of about 100 will contain some nasty malware preinstalled for us. 

I'd heard of things like that happening, both with new flash drives and with those purchased secondhand (mostly eBay stories). Mine are usually immediately reformatted with a UDF filesystem anyway.

• tekio likes this

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!