• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 vindy

vindy

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hi everyone. I think I already know the answer to this question but I wanted to make sure. Does the old Windows debugger SoftIce have support for machines with multicore processors? I don't think that it does, but if in fact it does my next question would be can I use it on my newer system. I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, and would it be able to identify most of the instructions on the chipset? I think AMD machines, if I'm not mistaken, are 8086 set machines for the most part, and I don't think they have changed radically enough since the late 90's for SoftIce not to be able to decode most of the instructions it would encounter. Plus, I'm guessing what operating system anybody would be running, new or old, really doesn't matter since SoftIce loads before the operating system and runs independently of it. Like I said, I think the answer to this question is "No", and if that is the case is there a Windows debugger out there right now that I could use similar to SoftIce that would work the same way by staying resident in memory at all times and allow you to interrupt the OS and look at the assembly instructions being executed, change things in memory, load values into registers, set conditional breakpoints, etc. I know there is WinDebug, but I'm not too familiar with how it works and I'm not sure if it is like SoftIce in how it operates. Its just really cool, and educational, to be able to stop and step through what is currently being executed by the OS, and other programs, and watch as it does everything it does on the processor. If anybody can help me out with some answers I'd appreciate it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!