• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lokey

lokey

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 10:46 AM

I just found this article about three blind israeli phreakers.
http://www.wired.com...02/phreaks.html
These guys wre doing some pretty illegal shit . But its still a good article

#2 natas

natas

De La Natas

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:01 AM

why is it that blind people are always phreakers? i still dont get it.

#3 lokey

lokey

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:30 AM

i think its because on the phone they're equal to everyone else, so naturally they gravitate towards them.

#4 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:34 AM

You make up for the lack of eyesight by increased spatial reasoning (you have to know where you are), better hearing (the sounds things make become very important), etc etc etc.

#5 ozlo

ozlo

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:32 PM

Strom's exactly right. That's why back in the 60's and 70's there were blind phreaks who could whistle trunk sieze tones because of "perfect pitch", and thus the blue box was born.

#6 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:40 PM

Strom's exactly right. That's why back in the 60's and 70's there were blind phreaks who could whistle trunk sieze tones because of "perfect pitch", and thus the blue box was born.

um...the blue box was born because the Bell Labs Technical Journal published the MF frequencies, not because Engressia had perfect pitch and could whistle 2600 hertz :)

A similar argument would run "Bill sprained his foot while baking a cake, and thus Cisco bought Linksys."

#7 ozlo

ozlo

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 03:12 PM

Right, they didn't just discover how to route their calls by whistling into the phone. What I meant is that they helped make it popular by showing off with their perfect pitch. Somewhat like the Cap 'N Crunch whistle, even though John Draper didn't really use the thing to blue box, it brought more attention to phreaking and spurred more blue boxing.

#8 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:41 PM

Draper never did anything very innovative, he was just mentored by the much smarter (blind) phone guys.

#9 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 923 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:50 PM

Draper never did anything very innovative

I have to disagree, ever wondered why did they (blind guys) want him ? He helped them and next started realizing his own ideas and not only in phreaking.

Edited by Havoc, 30 January 2004 - 04:05 AM.

#10 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 10:16 PM

Yea, I was going to post it but at the time they didnt have it online. Wired I still think is worth the 88 cents an issue though to suscribe...

I liked in the newest one they have some little snippit about economy or something and: "Remember when Wired was as thick as phone books?" :)

#11 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 02:28 PM

As strom said, when you lose one sense your other ones increase in ability and sensitivity by about 50% again what they where, at a minimum; This is your brain trying to compensate out of fear of survival.

As a result people who suffer from visual disability have increased sense of smell, taste, touch and sensitive hearing and are more nimble then people who can see usually; to put it in perspective a couple months ago I was told I was "like the daredevil with a pimp cane" by someone I worked with.

Although this is a good thing to compensate for the lose of one of the 6 senses (its 6.. trust me.), it can also provide problems for the person; sometimes I just want to put a bag over my head to drawn out the world and all its noise, and when I feel pain like if I burn my hand I FEEL pain; Also due to taste being more sensitive food gets bland fast and its easier for me to taste what’s in it and what it is, so I’m always trying to try new things or old things in strange ways just for something new and different, since food gets boring fast… but on the up side more adult actives are more enjoyable due to increased sense of touch :D

And yes it WAS a blind man who schooled Capt. Crunch in the art of phreaking; here’s a google cache of a article on it, from captain crunch himself:

http://216.239.41.10...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

And one thing I want to stress is thinking is really very visual, at least for myself; I may not see the world but I can see it in my head and I can do allot of good designing and coding in my head thinking of parts as sphears, for example; Hence why I love c++ even though the binaries can sometimes be bigger then hey should be; you may have noticed the large number of OOP languages on the list they knew, for example.

Hmm.. maybe I should write something up like a faq or something.....

#12 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 07:41 PM

so does your disability make eating a girl out better or worse whiteraven?! :D :P lol

#13 kizzle

kizzle

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:30 PM

Overall I think the article was too sensationalistic and trys to make phreakers into bad guys just like the media did with hackers. Despite that it has the best quote ever

"Every day people try to steal from us, but nobody has ever stolen from us the way the Badirs did. When they dial, they use the middle finger."

#14 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 12:22 AM

how do you use a computer anyways whiteraven? do you have one of those "brail monitors" or something? i guess i never really tuned in on how people with disabities use computers

#15 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:20 AM

how do you use a computer anyways whiteraven? do you have one of those "brail monitors" or something? i guess i never really tuned in on how people with disabities use computers

I explained it here:
http://www.binrev.co...?showtopic=4671

Since it was on topic.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!