10 replies to this topic

#1 kingpin007

kingpin007

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

WhiteBox

a phreaking software coded for the amiga 500 computer in the early nineties by an Australian Phreaking group called " Liberty "

If you remember this program then you are truly old skool ... like me

:)

you need to run it in a winaue amiga emulator ..

heres a screen shot and as you can see it had bluebox , dtmf , ccitt5 (R2) tones and other cool tones.

kxTAflb.jpg

heres the link if you want it -->

http://www.cbm8bit.c.../Phreaking Apps

Edited by kingpin007, 21 November 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Awesome! I wonder how many of these old systems are still kicking around, being employed as hackable platforms...

#3 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

There's a few out there. To Argentina over MCI, you can get *two* C5 hops O.o; 877-278-9344

There's also another one that's quite weird. There's a company called Genesys/Intercall that operates a bunch of conference systems in a lot of Asia Pacific countries. Their toll-free numbers from the US do something very, very strange. They use MCI to route to another location, and from there send the call over another carrier (it might be Paetec, I'm not sure), which ends up getting a C5 route to the Malaysian system. I've tried reaching the conference number over every carrier I can think of, but for the life of me, I can't figure out who runs that C5 route. 866-284-3438 is the number if you'd like to take a look at it. I think this is the kind of situation we're dealing with, though; http://en.wikipedia....r_tromboning.29

Speaking of Paetec, there was actually an episode of Radiolab from 2007 or so where they got C5 to the UK http://thoughtphreak...radiolab_c5.mp4 . I'm pretty sure WNYC buys local service from Paetec. On another note, what kind of a C5 link disconnects a call with a 2400 hz tone?

By the way, if you're successful in routing through any of these, please don't call anything that supes. These companies obviously aren't in a hurry to upgrade these systems, but leaving them with a huge bill is going to make them think otherwise.

#4 kingpin007

kingpin007

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

The CCITT#5 or also knows as R2 tones only work on old lines ... i.e. if you have a phone line that still accepts rotary dialing and also tone dialing then you should be able to phreak a call. The R2 tones where very similar to mf blue box tones but a slight variation.

The old exchanges were called ARE but are now called AXE ( ericson digital signaling) in Australia.

basically when call waiting and so on were wanted by people the old exhanges and software could not do this so when they updated this software is when phreaking stopped working.

It is possible that these old exchanges maybe still around in 3rd world countries or similar ..

To phreak a call in Australia back in the late 80's and early 90's you would do this.

1. Call a local phone number that was disconnected.

2. You would hear an announcment " This is a Telecom announcement , the number you have called is not connected , please check the number and dial again "

3. you would hear it say this two times and then silence .. about 10 seconds later you would hear two faint clicking heartbeat sounds

4. using whitebox send ccitt#5 tones i.e. 0011-1-713-485-305 using earphones and held to the mouthpiece of your phone.

5. you would hear each tone being accepted .. then you would enter the * tone

6. ring .. ring ... hello my friend in america

if the line was busy there would nothing just dead silence .. no enganged tone at all

as you can see there was no need for seizing .... and once the call was made the only way to start over was by hanging up the phone.  You could also blue box from Australia calling hawaii toll free number but it wasn't needed because whitebox was easier . blue boxing was also very risky because alot of toll free numbers to overseas were being monitored so very high chance of getting busted.

As you can see there are ABC tones .. these were used to control the calling .. i.e. you would call a number like this A-03-2-587458-C-0011-1-713-485-305   so the call would be billed to the first number you entered. There were a few news stories on tv of people getting $15000 phone bills ... I guess their son must have been a bully at school and happened to bully a phreaker... :)  expensive sex line calls ... Not many people knew you could do this and was not shared with fellow phreakers because of it's misuse ..

the Group Liberty .. three of the founding members of the group got snitched on by someone they knew who got busted for credit card fraud and to get a lighter sentence dobbed everyone he knew in so the police and telecom started tapping peoples phones and busting them for telephone fraud.. Spy who was also a member left the scene shortly after all the raids and busts in fear of himself being arrested.

here is a text file written from one of them and the outcomes.. read the busted article -->

http://www.textfiles...CTUS/nc-002.txt

as you can see because this was the first time anyone in Australia was charged with these offences the laws were not up to date so they got let off easy.

Now if you did this and got busted you would be on the run like julian assange ... lol  

and speaking of julian assange .. have a read of the introduction to the book the underground  http://www.underground-book.net/

it mentions Ripmax and Spy ... the first Australian phreakers

:D

Edited by kingpin007, 23 November 2013 - 03:41 AM.

#5 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

I don't mean to be a know-it-all here, but I'm pretty sure R2 is a national system (like R1 was/is in the US) that uses MFC tones. The CCITT-5 toneset, aside from the addition of 2400 and 2400+2600, is more or less the same as R1 in most cases.

Thanks for the flashback though, glad to hear things were interesting back then :) .

#6 kingpin007

kingpin007

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

your fine mate .. I am trying to remember excatly as it's been 22 years since I dabbled in phreaking so my memories a bit faded .. lol

but from what I recall.. I believe in Australia CCITT#5 tones were really R2 tones but incorrectly called CCITT#5

thats why I just refer them to CCITT#5 (R2)

Edited by kingpin007, 23 November 2013 - 04:59 AM.

#7 kingpin007

kingpin007

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

worldcallboxingprogram.jpg

here is another Australian Phreaking program ..

#8 xhausted110

xhausted110

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

here's a nice explanation of CCITT #5

http://blueboxing.org/ccitt5.html

Edited by xhausted110, 20 December 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#9 user.hacker

user.hacker

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

Very nice!

#10 kingpin007

kingpin007

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Yeah that blue box site brings back good memories as well .. but that one has pre-recorded messages only .. but still kudos to the person who set that up ..

btw I managed to track down a member of the group Liberty on twitter .... he posts general news about hacking and pbx phreaking and so on ...if anyones interested .. -->

@Spy_Australia

#11 Jaxxom

Jaxxom

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:13 AM

Whitebox was the first really configurable and useable Amiga bluebox I had. I seem to remember it didn't have a phonebook, so you had to dial manually (I got pretty good at hand dialing break+kp/kp2+number+st using it).

However, eventually one came out called UAD, which blew all the other blueboxes out of the water. It was awesome, had full phonebook and configuration, separate break/dial buttons, etc.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!