Photo
- - - - -

Transmit 15 miles w/o repeater - Best way?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 word

word

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'm new to Ham, and was trying at first to use 2 handheld Hams(Yaesu VX-6R's) with huge antennas to send/receive about 15 miles apart(trees, buildings and elevation changes between the 2 radios).

I get the no luck.

Any suggestions on the 'best'/cheapest/easiest way to be able to send/receive between 2 houses 15 miles apart?

Thanks

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Directional antennas, or a different frequency. You can go really far with a super-basic AM shortwave rig and a not horrible antenna.

#3 Spoof5.2.2

Spoof5.2.2

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

The VX5R is a really cute little 2m/440 rig but output power is "only" 5W on those bands. 

The basics of increasing range are:

-Antenna

-Height

-Power

You could try to build or buy a pair of Yagi or other directional antennas and point them at each other, but if you can't get them up above the obstructions, it still may not help at all.  If you have a big nearby object (like a mountain) you might be able to bounce signals off of that, but it would take a lot of experimentation. 

There may simply be no reasonable RF path between your two stations at VHF.

If you can hit a repeater, that's your best bet.  You mentioned you wanted to do this without repeaters.  Is this because you are not near any or do you have privacy concerns?  Keep in mind you can still be monitored readily by other hams in the area, even if you talk simplex.

#4 word

word

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

You mentioned you wanted to do this without repeaters.  Is this because you are not near any or do you have privacy concerns?  Keep in mind you can still be monitored readily by other hams in the area, even if you talk simplex.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have something in a disaster scenario.

Say the power goes out for 2 weeks and the repeaters are down.

#5 Spoof5.2.2

Spoof5.2.2

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Oh I see; well, have you verified that there is a tall object between you and the intended recipient?  There are free topo maps online where you can check.  If not, you could try more highly directional antennas.

You might have better luck on lower frequencies.

I wanted to talk to a ham friend about 100 miles away, and I thought we could do it; he had a nice high vertical at his house with some decent power (300+W) and I had a mobile and a car mounted vertical antenna.  I could BARELY hear him, maybe every 4th word, and he couldn't hear me at all.

We looked up the map and it turned out there was a 2000+ ft tall mountain between us.

We tried again on 75m (I built a simple horizontal dipole and strung it between two trees) and the conversation is loud and clear both ways, at less than 80W.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!