As part of rehabbing our house, we're moving the utilities to a central location to shorten the pipe/wire/duct runs to other rooms. Aside from being cheaper, it also makes it convenient to add extra services since you have dedicated space for them anyway. One of the things I wanted to do was set aside space for a proper home server room. Since I don't have that much equipment, it's going to share a small (8x7 foot) room with the electrical equipment.
Gallery link: http://www.binrev.co...ver-room-build/
EDIT: imgur gallery link: http://imgur.com/a/SfgyY#0
The room started out with the same dimensions. The house was built in the first half of the 1800's, so the walls in the basement are brick and were covered with old-school plaster -- directly on the brick, no lathe. The ceiling was plaster and lathe, and the floor was timbers directly on the dirt. Oddly enough, there were two doors into this tiny little room!
The first thing to do was remove all of the plaster and floor. One of the walls was a brick partition wall, only a single brick thick, and actually came down more or less on its own when we started removing the plaster. Since it's not a load-bearing wall, it was replaced with a 2x4 stud wall faced with 1/2" plywood, which is nicer for mounting equipment anyway. We had a concrete floor poured by our go-to contractor, which cost around $350. Once that was completed, we framed up the 2x4 partition wall:
The room also had a tiny casement window. I guess it allowed some light in originally, but now there's another building a few inches away from it. It got bricked up, and while we were at it, the rest of the brick was patched. We used modern S-type mortar:
Next, all masonry got a coat of UGL DryLok, which is a waterproofing paint. It wasn't entirely necessary for these walls as we've never had dampness problems from them, but they did show signs of water leakage from the past. The UGL stuff is super-thick (kinda like soft serve ice cream), so it also holds in any dust from the old bricks/mortar, and getting stuff in it doesn't matter. Put it on with a brush you don't care about:
We decided to go with a two-color paint scheme to make the walls a little less stark, and to give the illusion of higher ceilings -- our basement has only 6.5 feet of head clearance. Dark gray on the bottom, white on the top. We used semi-gloss to make it easy to clean:
NO, IT IS NOT AN INTERROGATION ROOM!