• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skywanter

skywanter

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

Alright, so I recently acquired a 2008ish pc running XP that has no wifi capabilities at the time, and I am unable to run an ethernet cable to it for various reasons. however, I have a 2009ish macbook that does have wifi, and I was wondering if I could somehow use it as, essentially, a wifi-card/router/whatever by connecting an ethernet cable between the two computers. thanks in advance

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

Sure can, go to System Preferences from the upper left-hand corner Apple menu, then select Sharing (blue folder with a yellow diamond in the middle). Check "Internet Sharing" in the list of checkboxes on the left side. For your situation, it sounds like you want to select Wi-Fi from the "Share your connection from:" drop-down, and check "Ethernet" in the box below that.

#3 skywanter

skywanter

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

you have no idea how thankful I am for your response. seriously. thanks, systems_glitch!

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

No problem, we have Macs at work and this gets used all of the time to bridge Ethernet-only projects onto the office network...otherwise you have to go find a long Ethernet cable and get someone (me, mostly) to patch in a spare room jack, since we leave all of the unused jacks unterminated for security.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

may have to favorite this post since myself, nor anyone that works in the VoIP company I work for know sh!t about any apple or mac products.. occasionally need to set up ICS for a VoIP phone temporarily if there is no CAT5 runs, and it is a temp install, or the customer is too cheap to do the runs.. 

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!