• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

Over the weekend I decided to be adventurous and create my own Kali Linux ISO without a DE. Since then I've compiled Compiz from source to use as a standalone WM. Everything is working wonderfully except for one small detail. I constantly have to set my path variable with "export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin...yadayadayada". And it's not just after restarts. Every couple minutes or so, the PATH variable just seems to empty it's contents. I tried to connect the phenomena to an application, but no dice. I'm beyond stumped, anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

#2 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

For those of you who experience this issue, if you set the variable in your .bashrc file that should solve your problems. I figured exporting the variable would do about the same for as long as I was logged in, but apparently that isn't so. Setting it in .bashrc kept it from changing for me.

#3 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, if you have something that clears the environment then sources .bashrc or .bash_profile, you may notice something like that. We've experienced it at work with some of our dev stations that have RVM installed. When you trip over an .rvmrc, depending on the RVM config, it'll reset the environment and reload the Bash profile.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!