Photo
- - - - -

Cannot Get Around Bios Security... Feels Like I have Tryed Everything.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BioDNA

BioDNA

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Ok so pretty much I have googled my ass off for a week now trying to get this figured out but everytime I feel like I have a solution I have a dead end and this is probably my last bastion for help. I have tried other forums and help sites but they seem as useless as tits on a bull practically tell me everything I have read including over thousands of comments of solutions at this point. Story is as a prank my friends thought it would be funny to change the bios password on my computer so I would have a laughable freak out... Well lets just say I was fine with it all until they couldn't remember the password and they are by no means "carrying the prank on" to keep me going they are scared they might have to buy me a new laptop which they dont have the money for. 

No matter what I do I cannot get passed the toshiba loading screen with any kind of keys that you or anyone on the internet can think of to get access to the BIOS settings. After the toshiba loading screen it loads a black screen where up in the left hand corner it says "Password = (INSERTPASSWORD)" And thats it, thats as far as it goes. I have looked all over the places that are easy to unscrew(Ram HDD ect...), for the places I can short the CMOS for a minute than just wipe the password. But its no where obvious and I will not take apart my laptop without detailed instructions or a video on how to do it with my model. I cant find any information on how to disassemble it completely so I refuse to go looking around the motherboard and removing the CMOS battery randomly just to still end up with the same problem and possibly bust parts on my case from not doing things properly. I have read from a good amount of people that the CMOS battery trick doesnt work most of the time on newer laptops anyways. 

I have tried multiple password tables with BIOS master passwords which none work. I cant change my boot functions so I cant load off of any other device because the laptop doesnt even get a chance to load anything other than the damn security. I have googled every phrase and every variation I can think of to twist results and im getting know where, so if you plan to help dont bother with google lol.

Heres a couple of links with complete specs of my computer.

http://209.167.114.3...SE0C-00L01L.htm
http://web1.toshiba....SE0C-00L01L.pdf

Im getting so frustrated at this point im ready to make an ass out of myself on public levels from stress rising.

#2 BioDNA

BioDNA

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Dont Know why it duplicated the thread please delete one. Thank you.

#3 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

I think you have the rights to delete the duplicate post yourself (I could be wrong).

Also don't short the CMOS. Causing an electrical short is always an iffy topic with me, so I typically advise against it. You have my near 100% guarantee, if you take the laptop apart (remember to remove the battery and power cable first, that should be obvious, but you'd be surprised...) remove the CMOS battery, hit the power button to discharge any leftover electricity, and wait for 30 seconds after that to put the battery back in, that the password will be gone when you reboot.

I know you don't want to take the thing apart, but trust me, it's the only sure fire way of getting rid of that password relatively safely. The only reason removing the battery wouldn't work is if the battery is non-removable, which is a rarity because it's such a serious design failure. If you're gentle/patient you should have no problems taking the computer apart and putting it back together. I'll try to find you a video.

Sources:
-Done this about a million times.
-Forgot the BIOS password to my own laptop once

#4 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Here. It's not the same model as yours, but the process should be about the same. Keep in mind, you don't have to take the whole thing apart, you just have to get it so that you can reach inside, maybe even just with a screwdriver, and pop that little watch-battery out.

#5 coding_monkey

coding_monkey

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

I'm a little late to this, so sorry if it's no longer relevant.

Er no, I vaguely remember that the battery in BIOS is just to keep the clock going and (hopefully) accurate. Flipping it out and putting it back in shouldn't really do much.

Try looking up the motherboard manual online- there should be some make and model information on the board - if it doesn't say anything on the screen when it boots. From the manual (or just by looking at the motherboard with a magnifying glass and a torch, you should be able to see a combination of pins labelled 'bios reset' - if you bridge them with say, a screwdriver or one of those little black jumper things (safer) and turn it on and off again, then remove them, it should factory reset the bios (which should also remove any password options).

Hope this advice helps and wasn't too late. BTW: http://pcsupport.abo...p/clearcmos.htm should have more detail.

#6 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

I'm a little late to this, so sorry if it's no longer relevant.

Er no, I vaguely remember that the battery in BIOS is just to keep the clock going and (hopefully) accurate. Flipping it out and putting it back in shouldn't really do much.

Try looking up the motherboard manual online- there should be some make and model information on the board - if it doesn't say anything on the screen when it boots. From the manual (or just by looking at the motherboard with a magnifying glass and a torch, you should be able to see a combination of pins labelled 'bios reset' - if you bridge them with say, a screwdriver or one of those little black jumper things (safer) and turn it on and off again, then remove them, it should factory reset the bios (which should also remove any password options).

Hope this advice helps and wasn't too late. BTW: http://pcsupport.abo...p/clearcmos.htm should have more detail.

Your method will work, but so will mine. Think of it this way. There's no hard disk built into that motherboard, so all BIOS settings would have to be stored in volatile memory, a little cache on the board, powered by that little watch battery. I have removed CMOS batteries for years to clear BIOS passwords, and very rarely has it ever not worked.

#7 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

Your method will work, but so will mine. Think of it this way. There's no hard disk built into that motherboard, so all BIOS settings would have to be stored in volatile memory, a little cache on the board, powered by that little watch battery. I have removed CMOS batteries for years to clear BIOS passwords, and very rarely has it ever not worked.

You have to watch with this nowadays...more machines are storing BIOS settings in Flash memory, and only using the battery (or sometimes a supercap) to run the timeclock. ThinkPad laptops have been like that for a while, requiring hacking the Flash EEPROM soldered to the motherboard if there's a forgotten password.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!