• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

I was wondering a bunch of things today when i was cleaning out my computer. It was mad dusty and all, i was cleaning my dust sheilds and then i counted my fans. 

I have:

240mm blowhole (but it is more a suck hole for it sucks air in)

2 120mm on the front for intake

1 120 on my radiator that is exhaust 

1 120 side mounted as exhaust also.

Is there like a rule of thumb for this? Should my exhaust match my intake? I mean in a perfect world of course. my computer runs nice and cool, but i was just wondering.

I also was wondering if i plug a wireless card that is a PCI-e 1x into a PCI-e 16x if I will encounter problems? My wireless card died the other day but it was like 4 years old and its time was up (old cisco pci card)

My mobo has 2 pcie 1x slots but one is blocked by my radiator for my cpu cooler and the other is in between my Graphics cards and not an option. I was going to buy a nice range wireless card (bout 100$) so i dont have to use this belkin usb adapter.

Something random to. I have a pci usb expansion card that i plug the usb wireless adapter into and the adapter has to be upside down. Any suggestions?

Now I have one more question. Misc mainly. Who runs/owns a home server? What do you use it for? I ask because I have 5 500 gb hard-drives that all work from some old dell pcs i got for free and i figured i could make a little home media sever, but idk what use it would be. Maybe web hosting, but i only get 75 mbps down and 15 up so i wasn't sure if i could host a site from my home.

I have most of the stuff to make the server excluding a mobo and processor so i figure i can do it for like 250-300 bucks and if it has practical use i will do it for sure. i always wanted to call myself a server admin :D

Thanks peeps

~5imp7y

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

I generally try to cut down on intake/exhaust fans near the floor because we have pets. I find the reduced in/out airflow results in less fluff clogging the heatsinks. Usually you do want to try and exhaust higher up and pull intake air from the bottom.

Yes, you can plug a PCIe x1 device into an x16, x8 or x4 slot.

I run a home server, mostly for file storage. Right now the "server" is really my desktop with two RAID 1 software mirrored drives, but I'm working on building a FreeBSD-based RAID-z box. We use the fileserver for general media storage, which makes small, fast SSDs in laptops and workstations practical. It's also used for automated backups. Finally, it acts as my private git server, for projects that will never be public or need significant cleanup before they're ready to be public. It's accessible via OpenVPN tunnel, so files can be pulled down from remote locations as well. It's pretty useful, having everything available in a centralized location.

#3 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Well My case has several fans built in and i feel that most of them are strategical and all of them (if they are intakes) have dust sheilds on them which are easily cleaned, plus I only have a fat cat who rarley comes into my room unless he is hungry, which typically he just meows where ever he is laying. 

As far as the home server goes, i think that is the next investment after I upgrade my computer. I need to boost up my computer a little, i would like to be able to stream HD films to my PS3 while playing battle feild 3.

Here is my spec list:

2 1tb 7200 rpm hdd

2 nvidia geforce gtx 460 1gb

core i5 650 3.2 ghz

4x 2gb Crucial Ballistix Sport

evga p55 sli mobo (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188055)

1200 watt coolmaster psu (freebie hence the huge size)

what i am planning on adding 

A ssd(http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

A second Graphics card (http://www.amazon.co...=A2H17L68NV5JRM) Running in SLI

Some nice cable management (http://www.amazon.co...sata cable 12in)

A PCIe 1x wireless card(http://www.amazon.co...e wireless card) Needs native linux support and linksys has been terrible to me in the past. ndiswrapper anyone?

Anything i should add? Also i was looking at the PSU calculator on newegg and other sites with more advance ones and it said(including optical drives and usb drives) this setup with the upgrades only requires 790 watts...? Really? I felt that was REALLY low i was expecting atleast 900, but if it really is that low i light buy a modular PSU to rid my case of all those useless cables.

What you guys think :D

Edited by 5imp7y, 06 July 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

790 Watts is a /light/ load?! Geez, I've been out of the gaming rig world for a long time...

#5 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

790 Watts is a /light/ load?! Geez, I've been out of the gaming rig world for a long time...

Typically i have found that super gaming rigs prebuilt come with a 1200 watt PSU. I have a 1200 watt psu :D it was free! but is has like 500 bagillion cords that i will never use. legit has hookups for a quad SLI rig, which will never happen in my computer. I want to get a modular PSU because i can just remove the cords if im not using them. That keeps your case nice and clean and organized, i like that. When you look into your computer and see it all  clean and shinny and lighting up!

my case came with a 600 watt psu also, but my current system consumes more than that. 

#6 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Definitely don't skimp on the quality of power supply...I think the super-high 1 KW+ claims by most manufacturers are probably peak for a few seconds, not continuous. After an "included with the case" PS disaster that killed a mobo, RAM and video card I only buy ThermalTake or Antec power supplies.

EDIT: Also, if you pick up a non-modular power supply and you know you don't need things like quad SLI power, I just cut the extra cables off and insulate the cut ends with heat shrink. Keeps the case neater and saves some money over modular supplies.

#7 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

i guess i would recommend no sli :p dual gpu just means you get some random things, some games are slower/doesnt make any difference at all, some are faster, but its sli pretty much its max increase if you get like 45-50% increase, but being its slightly older it would be much cheaper than buying like a 660 but still be to benafit.. for streaming its probably because its an i5, when them people are like.. streaming them playing the i5s get left behind by the amd 8xxx and the i7's, but a media server could do the streaming, but if you had your own media such as dvd/bluerays and wanted to rip it yourself would want something with some resources, but if you torrent than it doesnt really matter if opt for the faster, i guess a used first/second gen i7 might be affordable or like a fx8120 some low feature mobo with the six sata6 raid support, but probably would need a cheapo video card unless want to run headless/dont mind, but if both stock would see like 35% increase over like 3570k in 7zip/h246 encoding ect.. but if just torrent could be anything, i5/ a series quad, phenom2 4-6, maybe even higher end desktop i3's if power is considered

#8 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Definitely don't skimp on the quality of power supply

What he said. Crappy power supplies almost always take hardware with them when they go. They usually don't last more then a couple years either.

After an "included with the case" PS disaster that killed a mobo, RAM and video card I only buy ThermalTake or Antec power supplies.

A lot of Antec power supplies use Seasonic as their OEM. Corsair does likewise, and I think Seasonic sells finished PSUs directly to consumers now.

That being said, it sounds like you're chewing up a lot more power then you need to. In the interest of producing less heat/load on your power supply, are you sure you don't want to seek out more energy efficient components? I don't know how much weight this carries anymore, but the all purpose machine I have consumes well under 500 watts and has no trouble running Fallout: New Vegas on the highest detail settings with a large Protools session and an SDR running in the background. 

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 09 April 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#9 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

That being said, it sounds like you're chewing up a lot more power then you need to. In the interest of producing less heat/load on your power supply, are you sure you don't want to seek out more energy efficient components? I don't know how much weight this carries anymore, but the all purpose machine I have consumes well under 500 watts and has no trouble running Fallout: New Vegas on the highest detail settings with a large Protools session and an SDR running in the background. 

the gpus draw alot of power, even if they have a 77w liek 3570k will still be 5-600w at all times pretty much if they had dual 670/680s or 7950/70 if they get into oc nd stuff then obviously mores.. they are pushin some 200w each :p but then for low powered stuff even my a10 4655m is pushing new vegas maxed out on the 1366x768 screen and its pushin 25wtdp for gpu and the cpu, but then playing metro 2033 on high at max res the built in screen isnt so goods for people want 'extreme' gaming w.e. lol

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!