• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

I have this stupidly basic site that i have to make. I was assign to make a site that i would post reviews on. Well i made it super basic. took me about 3 hours maybe a little less, and now i have it up and when i was checking it out on my phone, it loads fairly slow, which im fairly sure is because i have a fair amount of images. Now i was wondering if there was a way i could make it faster? 

Also i posted a few weeks back asking for help with making a mobile version. I ended up kicking the idea for it isnt required and would require more effort than i am willing to put forward for no return :D

Well here is the link, im putting the whole url here so everyone knows it is hosted so deep...

astro.temple.edu/~tud51411/index.html

Any pointers, suggestions, maybe errors i have missed, ect.

Thanks Peeps,

~5imp7y

ps there is an error or well formatting issue i am aware of, on the interactive images (image map) it isnt centered. I haven't figured it out yet, but i think it just isnt uploading my editing copy right. some ftp issue i think... <center> tags are there in my dreamweaver copy but not online no matter how many times i upload it.....

#2 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Besides the content errors (spelling and grammar here and there) the site itself looks great. I already like it better than my own! The site loads rather quickly for me, only the background seemed to take a little extra time, which is to be expected if you're trying not to tile a background, and would rather use a large image. The best way to make an image load quicker though is to compress it. If it's a JPEG consider making it a PNG or something else with similar color depth capabilities, but a smaller file size. I figure you already know that though. Good luck!

+1 for being a fan of the classic Zippo by the way.

#3 Bit Viper

Bit Viper

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Your image files are way too big, that's why they're taking so long to load. Instead of loading the full image and then having the browser re-size them, you should edit the images ahead of time to be the size you need... that will cut way down on the bandwidth, especially for image-intense pages.

I also think the background image is a bit busy/distracting, but that may be more of just a personal preference.

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

What Bit Viper said. Also some of your images don't properly resize to fit within their parent elements. Especially important on smaller, lower-res screens like tablets (that's where I noticed).

+1 for Zippo lighters and +1 for fountain pens too! I still use my great-grandfather's drafting pen. I prefer Pelikan ink, the last bottle I bought has lasted me for around 5 years.

#5 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Thank you all, sorry for the late response  I have been frantically trying to edit it and all that non-sense and it just wont freaking upload. Luckily I got an extension, and i think i figured it out, there is an error somewhere in the ftp and i just need to ssh to astro (the program) and delete everything then re-upload so it should be up and fixed soon. 

As far as converting to png images, should i just pop it into photoshop and re-save it as a png?

oh yeah and systems_glitch:  I rock a fountain pen everyday of my life man. Holding a lamy safari right now. 

And both you guys, i rock a zippo regularly. i have 4 though i have bout at least 15. 

Thanks again for the help.

Maybe ill actually make a review site. it is a good way to get free shizz

Edit:

Well i also just realized my form is not working. i completely gaped that it wasn't working. 

Edited by 5imp7y, 26 March 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#6 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Actually, after reading up, I doubt that would help too much since PNG is lossless. It's a pain in the butt to figure out, but in the end all you really want to do is minimize file size (regardless of image format) while still having a good looking picture. To this end, I highly recommend the tool RIOT. It lets you compare side by side what your current image looks like, and what it will look like after compression. The slider at the bottom lets you select the level of compression you want. It's wonderful. I just discovered it earlier today. I use it as a plugin for GIMP but it looks like there's a standalone windows application as well. Give it a go. :D

http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/

Also here's an article on PNG vs JPEG
http://www.labnol.or...bandwidth/5385/

#7 brod

brod

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

Why not make it responsive? It generally leads to better code structure and easier to achieve HTML compliant code as well as the benefit of it being responsive which would totally solve your mobile version issue.

Also have a look at ImageOptim for reducing filesize of your images.

Edited by brod, 21 October 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#8 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

Why not make it responsive? It generally leads to better code structure and easier to achieve HTML compliant code as well as the benefit of it being responsive which would totally solve your mobile version issue.

That's the easy way to do it. We make use of Twitter Bootstrap at work.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!