Photo
- - - - -

Making a classic rotary or DTMF phone mobile?

Vintage phone preaking Bell

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Partyline4

Partyline4

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hey I had a great, but obviously thought of, idea to take my classic Bell ( not for resale) 1970's phone and make it to where I can use it in my car!

This is the basic question:

Is it even remotely possible?

I know about the GTE rotary mobile phone. ( don't care for cheap remakes of phones)

Thanks!

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Someone over at SparkFun did that with a (iirc) 500 series Western Eletric desk phone. The project may still be hosted on their site, it was some time ago. But it's certainly possible!

#3 Partyline4

Partyline4

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

I found the webpage. It was a little discouraging,  the guy said it didn't really dial out perfectly EVERY time. 

How would someone even remotely know how to complete this task? He seems like an electrical engineer.

Oh well..

Edited by Partyline4, 11 March 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Having high-tech hobbies is a good way to pick up the necessary knowledge. IIRC, the device was built from pre-assembled modules that were hooked together and controlled by some outside microcontroller. This is much easier to do than it sounds -- look into the Arduino project if you have no microcontroller experience.

It'll be a bit harder if you have zero programming experience, but then again it's also a great way to learn!

#5 Partyline4

Partyline4

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

I guess a good question to ask is:

Do cellular companies listen for DTMF?

I would figure since the phones make the noises BEFORE you dial out, that the noise is just a simulation for an "effect". :/

#6 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Any DTMF you're hearing is probably all synthesized by the handset; cellular codecs aren't capable of reliably transmitting DTMF, let alone anything else, so touchtones are sent via the call signaling channel.

#7 rbcp

rbcp

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

When cell phones really started getting popular, a few companies made these dock interfaces for certain brands of cell phones.  You'd stick your cell phone into a dock and that would connect it to all of your home phones so you could make and receive cell phone calls from any handset in the house.  Probably gave them a fake dial tone and everything.  If you can find those products, you could probably use them to make your rotary car phone.

#8 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

This sounds like a job for Dock N Talk!

There are plenty of ebay knock offs (not sure how well they work). Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200267286988

#9 rbcp

rbcp

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

http://www.engadget....e-goes-prepaid/

Here's a new $100 device that will give your home phones prepaid cell service through AT&T.  Only $20/month for unlimited U.S. calls.  And if they offer all the other AT&T wireless prepaid plans, you can use their plan that I use for my cell phone which comes out to about $8/month.

#10 Partyline4

Partyline4

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

When cell phones really started getting popular, a few companies made these dock interfaces for certain brands of cell phones.  You'd stick your cell phone into a dock and that would connect it to all of your home phones so you could make and receive cell phone calls from any handset in the house.  Probably gave them a fake dial tone and everything.  If you can find those products, you could probably use them to make your rotary car phone.

WOW That is really something!

Thanks a ton!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!