• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DrGonzo23

DrGonzo23

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi all. I'm new to this board and am very glad I found it. I was hoping some pros out there could help with a project I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm trying to connect an old payphone, (in my house), to an ipod so it will play music/audio books through the telephone receiver. Can anyone offer any insight as to how this will work? Ideally I'd like to rewire or pair the wiring so I can use the ipods mini mic jack to go right into the payphone. I'd also like to do this with a classic princess home phone, however the payphone is more pressing. Thanks for your help in advance.

#2 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Someone might be able to answer this a little better then I can, but the networks in Western Electric phones (assuming your payphone is Western Electric too) are pretty much the same. Impedence might be an issue, but you should be able to send line level audio directly into the mic input. The easiest way to do this on a Princess phone is to unscrew the mouthpiece cap, take the mic capsule out, and stick alligator clips onto the terminals. I learned the hard way that doing this a lot will eventually break your terminals, though.

Unscrew the cover from your phone and find the red, black, green and white wires going to your receiver - or the receiver's connector if the phone doesn't have a dedicated handset. The red and black wires go to the mic. Unscrew them and connect the ground and positive wire for one channel of a 1/8" jack onto it and plug it into your iPod. Few voicemail systems have automatic gain control anymore, so if you're looking to avoid cellular codecs, that should work for testing levels as well. The process is more or less the same for anything using AC power, but you might have to put a 600:1 isolation transformer in between the phone's network and the audio source to avoid getting a loud 60 hertz buzz. If you don't want to buy one new, most modems have one.

Assuming your payphone has spade connectors to the handset, the process should be more or less the same for it. Have fun!

#3 DrGonzo23

DrGonzo23

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thanks so much for your response. Do you think it's possible to do this so that the alligator clips or wire pairing are invisible? Ideally, I'd like to do this so you can pick up the phone as someone normally would, and then you'd hear music being played on the receiver without knowing there is an ipod attached. So what I'm asking is, if I'm utilizing the red and black wires, could I plug a phone cable in to the phone's jack and then cut the wire to splice on to the 1/8" jack? Sort of reminds me of a beige box, instead of clipping red/green on to a NID, I'm essentially clipping on to an ipod. Again, thanks for your help!

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

You should be able to hide it somewhere in the body of the payphone, there's lots of room in there, especially if you don't want to keep any of the coin processing hardware.

#5 DrGonzo23

DrGonzo23

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yep, I'll definitely remove the coin hardware. Don't need it. My other questions is power. Would I use a 24v AC transformer to power the payphone? Would I use the same for a landline phone? 

#6 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

What  needs powered? You should be able to run audio directly into the earpiece.

#7 DrGonzo23

DrGonzo23

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

I thought that I would need to power the payphone since it's not connected to a wall jack. Just to be clear, these phones will be stand alone devices. There won't be any way to dial in/out. They simply will feed the music from the ipod to the phone's receiver. 

Edited by DrGonzo23, 11 March 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#8 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yup, in that case you should be able to wire the audio out from the iPod right into the receiver. It's high enough resistance that it shouldn't harm the iPod.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!