7 replies to this topic

#1 irishj7

irishj7

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hey everyone,

I really need some help on this one.  I just made a beige box a few days ago and I've been trying to hook it up in my TNI, but I have not been able to figure my TNI box out (pictures are attached).  All of the searching online that I've done is no help.  I can't find any screws that have a red wire attached in my TNI.  I found a fat green wire, but that's actually the only wire that's even connected to a screw.  Plus, all the TNI box pictures and videos online show two screws directly next to one another.

I was thinking that maybe since my house has AT&T Uvese phone, that it is not able to be beige boxed.  If this is the case, is there a way around it (a different version of a beige box that I can make)?  Hopefully someone has run into this before.  I would REALLY appreciate the help.  If the TNI can be beige boxed, where do I put the allicator clips?  If it can't be beige boxed, is there another option for this type of TNI?  Also, what is that clear plastic piece in the middle of the right side of the box?  It has two green wires running to it from the left side, two blue wires running to it from the right side and a big flat metal screw in the middle of it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attached Files

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

You want to clip on to the blue/white pair on the right-hand side of the TNI. FYI, blue/white is the new red/green (has been for some time). Looks like your TNI uses push or crimp terminations, so you're probably not going to be able to clip on with alligator clips unless you peel back some of the insulation. If the termination allows more than one pair to be spliced, you could push in a short bit of wire to clip to.

You can also buy "vampire clips," which are like alligator clips except they're meant to pierce the insulation of in-place wire and touch the copper. That way you don't have to tape up the wire when you're done.

#3 irishj7

irishj7

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

So the blue is the new green and the white is the new red?  Also, where the top wire comes out of the plastic piece on the right side of the TNI box, it looks half blue and half white.  Should i follow that wire down until it turns all white and clamp down on that with the Vampire clip connected to my red wire?  Is there are reason that the wire looks half blue and half white, then turns completely blue, then completely white?  Also, do you know where I can purcahse the vampire clips?

Thanks for your help, wouldn't have figured it out otherwise.

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

They're really blue/white and white/blue...each pair is "dashed" with both colors to make them easier to find. Not such a big deal in a 4-pair cable, but it helps a lot in 25-pair cables! The pairs match as follows:

(Tip 1) Green -> White/Blue

(Ring 1) Red -> Blue/White

(Tip 2) Black -> White/Orange

(Ring 2) Yellow -> Orange/White

The "majority" color is listed first, so White/Blue means mostly white wire with blue dashes.

Newark carries Pomona brand "Insulation Piercing Test Clips":

http://www.newark.co...-set/dp/26C1597

There are probably cheaper Chinese-sourced clips available. The Pomona ones are expensive, but really high quality.

#5 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Here's a set of "Bed of Nails" clips (which can be clipped onto a line without stripping) for much cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d85b5e35

Don't know about the particular seller. These are apparently the kind of clips used on newer lineman's butt sets.

#6 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

actually that clear plastic connector where the wires connect with the lug should have 2 openings filled with silicone gel that you should be able to connect your alligator clips onto.. 

#7 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

actually that clear plastic connector where the wires connect with the lug should have 2 openings filled with silicone gel that you should be able to connect your alligator clips onto.. 

Good to know -- thought they were push splices! All of my telephone hardware is ancient.

#8 Spoof5.2.2

Spoof5.2.2

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hey everyone,

I really need some help on this one.  I just made a beige box a few days ago and I've been trying to hook it up in my TNI, but I have not been able to figure my TNI box out (pictures are attached).  All of the searching online that I've done is no help.  I can't find any screws that have a red wire attached in my TNI.  I found a fat green wire, but that's actually the only wire that's even connected to a screw.  Plus, all the TNI box pictures and videos online show two screws directly next to one another.

I was thinking that maybe since my house has AT&T Uvese phone, that it is not able to be beige boxed.  If this is the case, is there a way around it (a different version of a beige box that I can make)?  Hopefully someone has run into this before.  I would REALLY appreciate the help.  If the TNI can be beige boxed, where do I put the allicator clips?  If it can't be beige boxed, is there another option for this type of TNI?  Also, what is that clear plastic piece in the middle of the right side of the box?  It has two green wires running to it from the left side, two blue wires running to it from the right side and a big flat metal screw in the middle of it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

FYI the fat green wire is a ground.  Ground wires are generally green, green with a yellow stripe, or bare/clear insulation.

What is in that other grey box under this one? CATV?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beige box, tni, phreak, digital, how can i

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!